Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

The Carrots are dead. Long live The Carrots.

MrTapirMrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Just read on velonation/facebook that The Euskaltel Euskadi team have begun an 'orderly shutdown' of the team after failing to find the funds to continue. I know it was on the cards for a while but no0w it seems properly official.

Euskaltel's contribution was €3.5million, would that cover a pro continental squad?

Posts

  • MrTapir wrote:
    Just read on velonation/facebook that The Euskaltel Euskadi team have begun an 'orderly shutdown' of the team after failing to find the funds to continue. I know it was on the cards for a while but no0w it seems properly official.

    Euskaltel's contribution was €3.5million, would that cover a pro continental squad?


    It would, from stuff I've read
  • MrTapirMrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Are teams tied to the world tour licence if they've got it? I would think it would be better for everyone involved if the Carrots became a spanish Europcar rather than disappear completely.
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,724
    It's been covered elsewhere on the board but Oleg Tinkoff has been sniffing around the license.

    The cycling anthology v2 (I think) had an interesting point about who owns the license, the promoter or the sponsor. So Slipstream and Riis Cycling own the license and Garmin, Saxo just pay to sponsor. But the La Vie Claire team was actually owned by the sponsor. Ditto I understand Sky. Dunno what the case is with EE though...
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 9,465
    This should lively up the Vuelta. Wonder who will be able to garner the most help from riders in need of a contract?
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • TommyB61TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Basque cycling blog post re the carrots which is worth a read:

    http://ibanmayoblog.blogspot.co.uk/
  • dish_dash wrote:
    It's been covered elsewhere on the board but Oleg Tinkoff has been sniffing around the license.

    The cycling anthology v2 (I think) had an interesting point about who owns the license, the promoter or the sponsor. So Slipstream and Riis Cycling own the license and Garmin, Saxo just pay to sponsor. But the La Vie Claire team was actually owned by the sponsor. Ditto I understand Sky. Dunno what the case is with EE though...


    Seems that Tinkov has denied the rumours that he was in talks re taking over the licence.
  • frenchfighterfrenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not sure why they have to be WT. They certainly don`t punch above their weight however entertaining they can be. They have a great history but I`m not sure why they cant continue as a smaller team with a smaller budget.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 10,862
    'Tis sad. I for one will miss a bunch of spindly Spaniards sensibly wearing orange warning tabards heroically attempting the cobbles.

    But like Frenchie, said couldn't they continue as a Pro-Conti team?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,896
    But like Frenchie, said couldn't they continue as a Pro-Conti team?
    If they continue then surely they have to pay the existing contracts and they probably don't have the money to cover that. I think they struggled this year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    But like Frenchie, said couldn't they continue as a Pro-Conti team?
    If they continue then surely they have to pay the existing contracts and they probably don't have the money to cover that. I think they struggled this year.



    They'll be chased to pay those riders on the team who are contracted through 2014 as it is. But yeah, they did struggle this year (remember the supposed flogging of the team bus?), and fact is that the Spanish economy's in such bad shape, there's little money knocking around to fund teams...or races for that matter.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    I've got to be honest, in the short time I have been watching pro cycling they haven't done much. So I'm not bothered by them going. Ofcourse the lack of funding for cycling teams is worrying.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,896
    They'll be chased to pay those riders on the team who are contracted through 2014 as it is.
    Will they? The team has no money to pay them. No amount of lawyers will change that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    They'll be chased to pay those riders on the team who are contracted through 2014 as it is.
    Will they? The team has no money to pay them. No amount of lawyers will change that.


    Well, dont know whether they do or dont have the money to pay out on 14 riders contracts. They clearly dont have the money to continue to fund the whole shebang of a WT team, granted.
  • MrTapirMrTapir Posts: 1,206
    This report suggests that those riders with contracts for next year will be paid for them by Euskaltel, if they dont find a team for next year.
  • Will be a shame to see them go, I just hope that it isn't the start of things to come....

    I wonder if there will be many orange Orbea's going cheap, always though that they were one of the nicest looking bikes on the WT
  • TusherTusher Posts: 2,762
    Now if only they could start up a women's team...........cost 250,00 (not sure if that's Euros or Pounds, but peanuts compared to the men's world tour).


    It's their heroic Classics appearances I shall miss most.
  • hstileshstiles Posts: 414
    I'll miss watching their riders struggle round late Sprint stage race ITT courses on road bikes in the most un-aero position possible.
  • shinyhelmutshinyhelmut Posts: 1,341
    hstiles wrote:
    I'll miss watching their riders struggle round late Sprint stage race ITT courses on road bikes in the most un-aero position possible.
    while still outshining Cofidis.
Sign In or Register to comment.