The Carrots are dead. Long live The Carrots.

MrTapir
MrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Just read on velonation/facebook that The Euskaltel Euskadi team have begun an 'orderly shutdown' of the team after failing to find the funds to continue. I know it was on the cards for a while but no0w it seems properly official.

Euskaltel's contribution was €3.5million, would that cover a pro continental squad?

Comments

• MrTapir wrote:
    Just read on velonation/facebook that The Euskaltel Euskadi team have begun an 'orderly shutdown' of the team after failing to find the funds to continue. I know it was on the cards for a while but no0w it seems properly official.

Euskaltel's contribution was €3.5million, would that cover a pro continental squad?

It would, from stuff I've read
  • MrTapir
    Are teams tied to the world tour licence if they've got it? I would think it would be better for everyone involved if the Carrots became a spanish Europcar rather than disappear completely.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557
    It's been covered elsewhere on the board but Oleg Tinkoff has been sniffing around the license.

The cycling anthology v2 (I think) had an interesting point about who owns the license, the promoter or the sponsor. So Slipstream and Riis Cycling own the license and Garmin, Saxo just pay to sponsor. But the La Vie Claire team was actually owned by the sponsor. Ditto I understand Sky. Dunno what the case is with EE though...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    This should lively up the Vuelta. Wonder who will be able to garner the most help from riders in need of a contract?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Basque cycling blog post re the carrots which is worth a read:

http://ibanmayoblog.blogspot.co.uk/
  • dish_dash wrote:
    It's been covered elsewhere on the board but Oleg Tinkoff has been sniffing around the license.

The cycling anthology v2 (I think) had an interesting point about who owns the license, the promoter or the sponsor. So Slipstream and Riis Cycling own the license and Garmin, Saxo just pay to sponsor. But the La Vie Claire team was actually owned by the sponsor. Ditto I understand Sky. Dunno what the case is with EE though...

Seems that Tinkov has denied the rumours that he was in talks re taking over the licence.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not sure why they have to be WT. They certainly don`t punch above their weight however entertaining they can be. They have a great history but I`m not sure why they cant continue as a smaller team with a smaller budget.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    'Tis sad. I for one will miss a bunch of spindly Spaniards sensibly wearing orange warning tabards heroically attempting the cobbles.

But like Frenchie, said couldn't they continue as a Pro-Conti team?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    If they continue then surely they have to pay the existing contracts and they probably don't have the money to cover that. I think they struggled this year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    If they continue then surely they have to pay the existing contracts and they probably don't have the money to cover that. I think they struggled this year.

They'll be chased to pay those riders on the team who are contracted through 2014 as it is. But yeah, they did struggle this year (remember the supposed flogging of the team bus?), and fact is that the Spanish economy's in such bad shape, there's little money knocking around to fund teams...or races for that matter.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've got to be honest, in the short time I have been watching pro cycling they haven't done much. So I'm not bothered by them going. Ofcourse the lack of funding for cycling teams is worrying.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    They'll be chased to pay those riders on the team who are contracted through 2014 as it is.
    Will they? The team has no money to pay them. No amount of lawyers will change that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    They'll be chased to pay those riders on the team who are contracted through 2014 as it is.
    Will they? The team has no money to pay them. No amount of lawyers will change that.

Well, dont know whether they do or dont have the money to pay out on 14 riders contracts. They clearly dont have the money to continue to fund the whole shebang of a WT team, granted.
  • MrTapir
    This report suggests that those riders with contracts for next year will be paid for them by Euskaltel, if they dont find a team for next year.
  • Will be a shame to see them go, I just hope that it isn't the start of things to come....

I wonder if there will be many orange Orbea's going cheap, always though that they were one of the nicest looking bikes on the WT
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Now if only they could start up a women's team...........cost 250,00 (not sure if that's Euros or Pounds, but peanuts compared to the men's world tour).

It's their heroic Classics appearances I shall miss most.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I'll miss watching their riders struggle round late Sprint stage race ITT courses on road bikes in the most un-aero position possible.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    hstiles wrote:
    I'll miss watching their riders struggle round late Sprint stage race ITT courses on road bikes in the most un-aero position possible.
    while still outshining Cofidis.