Orange Alpine 160

2»

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    haha, I guess you were stuck behind the halfords family then..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That and I find groomed trails boring. The natural stuff on Exmoor and the Quantocks is so much more fun and I can do 30 mile routes without riding the same trail twice or seeing more than a few people.
  • ej2320
    That and I find groomed trails boring. The natural stuff on Exmoor and the Quantocks is so much more fun and I can do 30 mile routes without riding the same trail twice or seeing more than a few people.

What area do you live in? I know some places for natural rides if you know where you're going
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    What makes them worse than Santa Cruz or Yeti or any of the other overpriced brands?
    The Five actually makes a GT Force look good value.

I like Orange bikes but they are ugly. They look like a retro ride made out of girders! Then there is the price, stupid for what they are. May ride very well, i have a few riding buddies who love them and would not ride anything else, but poor engineering, finishing & technology. Not conparable to Yeti etc they are works of art that look good as a bonus.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Its the clique that goes with the Orange 5, seriously the number of all the gear no idea Orange 5 riders astounds me! If you dont know what I mean, ride Gisburn on a bank holiday.

The Orange Alpine doesn't have the same sort of following IMO.

Lol! Was waiting for someone to say it. Once at Lee Quarry some skills day on, 20+ riders was at the top of a run. All Orange fives, loud hubs, mad colours, all the gear etc etc. thought these are gonna be awesome. A team or something. I was a bit wet behind the ears when I got back into it in 2009. They set of like a load of women. Absolute laughable. I tore oast them in my swim shorts and t shirt on my Trek 4500 (500 quid).

I absolutely agree, apart from my mates who ride them, they swear by them and one is stupidly good on it. Even clipped in on downhills. Can get up vertical walls, well literally
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know a number of women who can ride me under the table.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    There's sterotypes for all brands

Orange - well as above
    Nukeproof - performance over looks
    Yeti - perfectionist
    Ect
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    cooldad wrote:
    I know a number of women who can ride me under the table.

Quite.

I doubt there is a single person on this forum whose ability exceeds their current equipment.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ej2320 wrote:

Orange - well as above
    Yeti - perfectionist
    Ect
    O......k.
    :?
  • cooldad
    ej2320 wrote:

Orange - well as above
    Yeti - perfectionist
    Ect
    Wots an Ect?
    Obviously not a Yeti rider.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    Supposed to be excetra

I seriously considered a yeti due to the attention to detail and Im a bit of a perfectionist
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ej2320 wrote:

I seriously considered a yeti due to the attention to detail and Im a bit of a perfectionist

What does that mean exactly? Unless I'm mistaken yeti have their frames built in Taiwan like almost everyone else, and the rest of the parts are from the usual manufacturers.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ej2320 wrote:
    Supposed to be excetra

No, you're falling into a common trap. You want something, so you imagine that the other people who want, or who own the same thing, have some strong positive trait.
    For a great example, consider apple lunatic fans.
  • cooldad
    ej2320 wrote:
    Supposed to be excetra

You mean
    ej2320 wrote:
    Supposed to be etcetera.

I seriously considered a Yeti due to the attention to detail and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Obviously not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ej2320 wrote:
    Supposed to be excetra

No, you're falling into a common trap. You want something, so you imagine that the other people who want, or who own the same thing, have some strong positive trait.
    For a great example, consider apple lunatic fans.
    I hear that everyone that rides a Marin has homicidal tendencies ;)

Did I mention I'm a lunatic Apple fan?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Supposed to be excetra

You mean
    ej2320 wrote:
    Supposed to be etcetera.

I seriously considered a Yeti due to the attention to detail and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Obviously not.

Not just me that spotted the irony there then... :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I'm a lunatic Apple fan?
    oh god.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    brick-ilovelamp.jpg
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    ej2320 wrote:
    What makes them worse than Santa Cruz or Yeti or any of the other overpriced brands?

Oi, I paid good money to say I own a Santa Cruz!

Custom build I hope..?! the build kits a stupidly overpriced..

Which Cruz do you have? thinking about building an aluminuim Brosnon when I have the money.... joys of a student

2007 Heckler, started off as a relativly basic xt build but has progressed in the following:-
    2007 frame, black anodized.
    Fox 36 van rc2 forks
    xtr brakes, cranks, shifters
    xt mechs
    pro2 hubs with xm 719 rims
    thompson elite seatpost
    thompson stem

fancy bits here and there.

e1665cbe.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ej2320
    Looks awesome, how do you find it to ride, I was also considering a Heckler

Good to see the bottle in the background as well ;)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Its an awesome bike, much better than I'll ever be. It goes downhill fast and because of the propedal on the RP23 shock it isn't that bad going up either.

I like a nice slack, relaxed ride which this is and its very confidence inspiring through the rough. Mind you the forks help with that too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    lbalony wrote:
    Lol! Was waiting for someone to say it. Once at Lee Quarry some skills day on, 20+ riders was at the top of a run. All Orange fives, loud hubs, mad colours, all the gear etc etc. thought these are gonna be awesome. A team or something. I was a bit wet behind the ears when I got back into it in 2009. They set of like a load of women. Absolute laughable. I tore past them in my swim shorts and t shirt on my Trek 4500 (500 quid).

I absolutely agree, apart from my mates who ride them, they swear by them and one is stupidly good on it. Even clipped in on downhills. Can get up vertical walls, well literally

Hmm that would have been funny to see, i too have a trek 4500, i hope you've swapped the suntour forks for some better ones.

seems I'm better off looking elsewhere, i was interested in getting a 5 frame and building it up but guess best avoid one.

Is the hatred about just the price or are they a rubbish bike anyway and people just buy them because of the brand ?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I bought an orange p7 pro a few years ago and so I've paid for it so the price does not matter any longer. I love it - but really I love cycling so probably it would have made no difference what I originally bought - I'd still love the cycling and thus the bike.

I do accept that the spec is poor for the price, the welding is untidy and yes it was expensive - but it had good ratings at the time and the choice was too wide for me to cope with. My enduring pleasure is the steel frame action though - I would have been less happy with an Al frame had I gone that way I think.

I think that orange falls into the category - no-one has ever been fired for buying an orange.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • ej2320
    swod1 wrote:
    lbalony wrote:
    Lol! Was waiting for someone to say it. Once at Lee Quarry some skills day on, 20+ riders was at the top of a run. All Orange fives, loud hubs, mad colours, all the gear etc etc. thought these are gonna be awesome. A team or something. I was a bit wet behind the ears when I got back into it in 2009. They set of like a load of women. Absolute laughable. I tore past them in my swim shorts and t shirt on my Trek 4500 (500 quid).

Hmm that would have been funny to see, i too have a trek 4500, i hope you've swapped the suntour forks for some better ones.

seems I'm better off looking elsewhere, i was interested in getting a 5 frame and building it up but guess best avoid one.

Is the hatred about just the price or are they a rubbish bike anyway and people just buy them because of the brand ?

The bike itself is fine, just the stereotypes that come with it
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    swod1 wrote:

its a marketing effect - bit like stella lager. Orange have always had this "issue" with other riders. I've had two oranges a C16R and an X2 both bought in the mid 90's. They were overpriced then but not as much as they are now

I personally have nothing against the brand and I've not ridden their current crop of bikes so can't comment on how they are but they are kinda ugly. I also don't think there is anything wrong with people spending money on bikes and equipment when they are novices. I started off on a £200 diamond back traverse in 1993 then progressed to a C16R (£659) then on to the X2 (£640 frame only) before I got my ghost this year. Had someone bought me a top end cannondale or marin I would not have said no.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its a shame you dont see many 222, 223 or 224s at races much any more. You could always hear them long before you could see them. Sounded like someone threw a sack of spanners down the track.