cyclists tan

anthdci
anthdci Posts: 543
edited August 2013 in Road general
Since we have had quite a reasonable summer and I have been out on my bike quite a lot I have developed quite a nice tan, however there is a distinct line from my jersey arms and the bottom of my bib shorts. I don't really care about my legs because my normal shorts are slightly longer, but I have some shorter sleeve tops where it looks a bit daft having a milk bottle white patch between the tshirt at the start of my tan :lol:

Surely I am not the only one to get this, do you just laugh at yourself, ignore it, or do something about it?

I am in the laugh at yourself category, but I might be getting a last minute holiday deal with friends in sept and I know I am going to get ripped to shreds when the see the tan lines, for the first few days at least.

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Wear them with pride, it's a badge of honour. Also give a small nod to anyone else you see with the same ridiculous tan lines, they will understand.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    You certainly arent the only one, be proud of them lines, its the mark of a cyclist. What you need is a decent story as to the cause, ie you went out for a 25 mile spin and ended up riding with Sir Brad for 100 odd miles and as a thanks for helping him fix a puncture you had tea and biscuits in his garden.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • anthdci
    djm501 wrote:

:lol: forgot to check the rules.
  • Another year where I look like I have dark brown leg and arm warmers on - I even have white hands. Off to Corfu a week today - I'm going to look ace on the beach :lol:
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    I even have white hands

Possibly my favourite part of the cyclists tan!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Embrace the comedy tan. It's a sign of strength, not weakness.

Even though everybody will be laughing at you, and some small children may point, you know you're a hill climbing God.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Rule #7 :P
    533578_10151551203278918_365931412_n.jpg
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • anthdci
    Grill wrote:

(image removed)

that's not to far from what mine look like.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Grill wrote:
    Is that rule #7 from a photography website?

Rule #7. Whenever possible take photos using inappropriate settings and movement to ensure the subject is blurry. Ideally out of focus, slow shutter speed and motion blur, but any is acceptable on its own.
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Problem is it looks just the same as:

Farmers tan
    Builders tan
    Sailors tan

Someone could be very judgemental and award you the wrong social status...
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • Grill
    GiantMike wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Is that rule #7 from a photography website?

Rule #7. Whenever possible take photos using inappropriate settings and movement to ensure the subject is blurry. Ideally out of focus, slow shutter speed and motion blur, but any is acceptable on its own.

Are you accusing me of taking a blurry photo of myself? :lol:
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    VmanF3 wrote:

Builders tan

Surely a quick check of the buttocks would sort that out. (You were wearing bishorts right?) ;)
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    djm501 wrote:
    VmanF3 wrote:

Builders tan

Surely a quick check of the buttocks would sort that out. (You were wearing bishorts right?) ;)

Good point well made....but not sure I want to check...
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • Sleeveless tri-tops seemed to be de rigueur for cyclists in France and Italy (i.e. places with actual hot weather) from my experience.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    VmanF3 wrote:

Farmers tan
    Builders tan
    Sailors tan

And Golfer's tan. I was accused of this last week. :shock:
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I don't care about the arms or the legs as I don't wear anything shorter than my cycling gear.

The thing that gets me is the white hands and brown arms due to wearing cycling gloves. This is weird as people do not expect this as non-cyclists do not wear gloves in the summer.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    I even have white hands

Possibly my favourite part of the cyclists tan!

Oh yes, I've since been to Spain so my tan is evened out now, but for a while I had brown finger tips, white hands, brown arms and a white watch strap line. I don't think I could be confused with anything but a cyclist lol
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • BrandonA wrote:
    I don't care about the arms or the legs as I don't wear anything shorter than my cycling gear.

The thing that gets me is the white hands and brown arms due to wearing cycling gloves. This is weird as people do not expect this as non-cyclists do not wear gloves in the summer.

Simple to solve... dont wear gloves in the hot weather :wink:
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    I give you this........not me I hasten to add.

9556552496_7f78acc228_o.jpg
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    Wear them with pride, it's a badge of honour. Also give a small nod to anyone else you see with the same ridiculous tan lines, they will understand.

Exactly, I sport mine whereever I can....i love the finger digits and wrist tan upto jersey sleeve from wearing mitts.

People spend thousands going abroad to get tanned up you getting for free on your bike. Love it!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    The hair on those legs is positively offense.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Grill wrote:
    The hair on those legs is positively offense.

As is the appalling bib length and diagonal tan line.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Love this thread! Not really thought about my hands, but on closer inspection my fingers are a bit browner than the back of my hands!
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    It is something to be proud of...I keep trying to make mine even darker! The best bit being the white line at the ankle!
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    dnwhite88 wrote:

+1
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    my white hands do make impromptu mime sessions a lot easier!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    And also the white stripe from wearing a watch. My left arm looked proper daft.
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Who's get a white strap mark on their face?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Mine are absolutely ridiculous...from spending 15 hours a week training. I find it highly amusing.