Orange Clockwork?

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently in the market for my first hardtail in a long time. I have looked at so many and always keep coming back to the Orange. I have always wanted an Orange and it's a case of:- Head says I can get something with a much better spec, but heart says I love it.

I have a tendancy to upgrade whatever I buy to make it mine which is making me think I should just get it. It will be purchased through our companies C2W scheme which gives me the option of Halfords, Leisure lakes, Cyclomonster and a couple of smaller local shops.

I have been into Leisure lakes this morning as I wanted the Cube LTD 29er, however they don't have any stock of my size & the current lead time is approx 8 weeks for the 2014 models.

What's everyones thoughts?

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork/

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just another basic aluminium hardtail frame from Taiwan with poor components for the price.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    If possible my advice would be buy the frame and spec it yourself, the spec is terrible on the full bike, although if on a cycle scheme your options are limited to the full bike.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cubedean
    ^^ indeed I am limited. From what I can see on leisure lakes site the only bikes with considerably better components in the £850 range are cubes which I cant get for ages.

What would be the first upgrade on the orange in your opinion?

Are the frames really non uk built? Is it just the full sussers built in the Uk now then?
  • rockmonkeysc
    They are made in Taiwan and better quality than the frames Orange build in the UK.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you can use Halfords you'll get a much much better bike for the money.

The only Oranges made in the UK are the ones made of old bridges with welds by blind drunk chimps.
    That Clockwork is much too neat.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's a horrific spec for the money, one of the worst I have seen, Halfords sell better for half that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shockingly poor, and yes it's a Taiwan frame and the bike is shipped complete having been built in Taiwan which means Orange are charging even more for the name than Spesh do.....and £19.99 for a Mech hanger whan Halfords can do one for £7.99 tells you all you need to know.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cubedean
    Im new to mtb so spec wise I dont really know what would need upgrading as a necessity?
  • The Rookie
    Well as a necesity, nothing, it's just what your getting is pants compared to what you would get on another bike for the same money.

To bring it up to the same quality you could get elsewhere you'd be changing
    Forks, shifters, front and rear mech, crankset, brakes - stem, bars and seatpost are own brand so who knows - wheels and frame are Ok though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    The Boardman Pro is better in most areas. Fork is massvely better.
  • cubedean
    supersonic wrote:
    The Boardman Pro is better in most areas. Fork is massvely better.

It is indeed. Only problem is I have never managed to find a 15" frame. The only option would be to get the boardman and then swap the frame out.
  • The Rookie
    So what, the 18" Boardman has the same effective top tube length (589mm) (most critical dimension) as the 17" Clockwork (590mm), the 16" Boardman is a lot shorter (565mm), so the 16" Boardman will suite a shorter rider tahn could ride the 15" Orange! Suggest you understand bike sizing first!
  • cubedean
    I understand bike sizing. But you try and find me a 16" boardman.....

Effective tt length between the 15" orange and thr 18" boardman are the same. However the standover height on the 18" boardman is too high. I only have a 29" inseam so the toptube touches my croch.
  • The Rookie
    Standover isn't something you should use to choose a bike, many FS you can't standover at all, stay riding!
  • cubedean
    Thats something I disagree on. Surely if your crotch is sat on the tt it is a poor fit? I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable on a bike that if I came off I would smash my testicles straight onto the tt without even having chance of getting my feet down.
  • supersonic
    Standover is personal preference, many bikes are designed without it in mind. I like to have a small amount. Others don't seem to care lol.

Have you tried the boardman for size?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When I come off I seem to land on my head, not my knackers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cubedean
    Ive tried the boardman in store but a friend has one in 18 which I want to try out
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    The Rookie wrote:
    Standover isn't something you should use to choose a bike, many FS you can't standover at all, stay riding!

Really?
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • supersonic
    Testing is always best, good plan!
  • The Rookie
    punkatron1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Really?
    Yes really.....why?
  • punkatron1
    The Rookie wrote:
    punkatron1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Really?
    Yes really.....why?

"many fs you can't stand over at all". Utter bollocks. You need to stop giving advice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    On my xc bike I have no standover, my plums rest gently on the top tube when I stand on flat ground. It has never been a problem, I don't tend to land on the top tube when I fall off.
  • punkatron1
    If you can't stand over the bike then how do you a) get on it, and b) get off it. Utter bullshit.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I can only just stand over it but how often are you stood over the bike with BOTH feet on the ground?
    I didn't notice I had zero clearance until someone pointed it out.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    punkatron1 wrote:
    If you can't stand over the bike then how do you a) get on it, and b) get off it. Utter bullshit.

Do be quiet; the grown-ups are talking. :roll:

I had about zero crotch clearance on my CX bike, yet I rode that for thousands of miles. I must have imagined it, then.

I draw your attention to this thread too:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12692834
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Must be some short legs on here, lol.
  • punkatron1
    edited August 2013
    A CX bike is very different to a mountain bike though isn't it i.e. the worst of both worlds. Completely irrelevant post but thanks anyway.

This guy is going to spend the best part of a grand and people just seem to post utter garbage. Even the guy from the Halfords parts desk doing a shift in the bike department knows that you need standover clearance on a mountain bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    punkatron1 wrote:
    A CX bike is very different to an mountain bike though isn't it i.e. the worst of both worlds. Completely irrelevant post but thanks anyway.

This guy is going to spend the best part of a grand and people just seem to post utter garbage. Even the guy from the Halfords parts desk doing a shift in the bike department at knows that you need standover clearance on a mountain bike.

And you need a smaller frame so that its easier to throw around than one thats the correct size.
  • The Rookie
    punkatron1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    punkatron1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Really?
    Yes really.....why?

"many fs you can't stand over at all". Utter ****. You need to stop giving advice.
    I'm sorry it's true so suggest you find out before calling other people an utter ****.

Come back once you know what your talking about, should be 3-4 months I guess?

Example
    http://hagoromo.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/ ... otype.html