By popular request ... The religious debate

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
I assume this is within the flipping rules?

Richard Dawkins in his many books concludes that a supernatural creator does not exist and religious faith is a delusion. Is he right?

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I can't answer that, but as soon as my wife gets home I'll ask her what I think. :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Sorry, I seem to have posted a duplicate thread. :(
  • cornerblock
    That's how religious wars started.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    That's how religious wars started.
    Isn't that the aim here?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey - Now we all know you are just trying to stir up trouble. Richard Dawkins for president? Be interesting to see if we have many forum members who believe in imaginary friends! Duck.........
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    "God is a chocolate teapot. As it is small and its dark. you cannot see it as it revolves around the earth."
    -"God isn't a chocoalte teapot"
    "Yes, he is"
    -"Prove it"
    "First prove that this chocolate teapot does not exist"

...and thats why many believe in a higher being. No-one has seen him but no-one can prove that he doesn't exist.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    "God is a chocolate teapot. As it is small and its dark. you cannot see it as it revolves around the earth."
    "Yes, he is"
    -"Prove it"

...and thats why many believe in a higher being. No-one has seen him but no-one can prove that he doesn't exist.

But why do you believe he is a chocolate tea pot and not a liquorice allsort. Is it because your parents told you so?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Mikey23 wrote:

Richard Dawkins in his many books concludes that a supernatural creator does not exist and religious faith is a delusion. Is he right?
    What are your thoughts on Islam Mikey?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • cornerblock
    seanoconn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

What are your thoughts on Islam Mikey?

I think you'll need to ask his missus!
  • Stevo_666
    "Yes, he is"
    -"Prove it"

And the follow on from that is that as it's logically impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, if someone believes that something does exist then the onus is on them to prove it. Usually when something exists there's some verifiable evidence...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Oh God.

Any minute now, someone is going to make a post that uses the words 'sheeple' and 'sky bully' in the same sentence.

atheists.png
  • Stevo_666
    RDW wrote:
    'sheeple' and 'sky bully'
    What have the results of unauthorised Welsh breeding and Rupert Murdoch got to do with this?
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    RDW wrote:
    'sheeple' and 'sky bully'
    What have the results of unauthorised Welsh breeding and Rupert Murdoch got to do with this?

I'll have you know that's a scurrilous myth! Here in Wales, all breeding is properly regulated by a committee that reports directly to Sir Tom Jones. And anyway, sheep can't cook, so what would be the point of marrying them? As for Rupert Murdoch, he almost certainly works for the other guy:

1_123125_123019_2180710_2187883_080402_pb_murdochicontn.gif.CROP.original-original.gif
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    if people want an imaginary friend that's fine

but not if they demand other people do what their imaginary friend says, or think that they are allowed to hurt others because their imaginary friend says they can do it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'm atheist. Why? Lack of evidence that any gods exist.

Thoughts on religion. Summed up with this sentence: "believe in rocks if you want to, but don't throw them at me."
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mikey23
    Ok, missus away for a couple of days so struggling to think for myself ... Considered, articulate and extremely rambling post to follow after I'm back from coffee with a couple of transvestites
  • Are you having coffee with them, or, bringing them home, 'cos your misses is away?? Don't really want to think about this!
  • Mikey23
    Friends of ours, one runs a holiday complex in east Cornwall... Quite a racey place round here
    Point from different thread. Blasphemy resonates with me in a similar way to someone dissing your best mate or upsetting your kids. But I'm sure god (should he or she exist) is big enough to deal with that
    Islam. Ok with other religions provided that they are not of the fundamentalist and exploitative kind. However, so much evil and exploitation and persecution has happened in the name of Christianity over the last two thousand years and continues to happen that I'm not throwing any stones

So do you guys think that physics and evolutionary biology have disproved the big fella with a long white beard sitting on a cloud on the other side of the moon? What kind of evidence would convince you otherwise?
  • Never believed anyway, but in answer to your first question, a definite yes. As to proof, I can't imagine anyone being able to convince me differently
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Friends of ours, one runs a holiday complex in east Cornwall... Quite a racey place round here
    Point from different thread. Blasphemy resonates with me in a similar way to someone dissing your best mate or upsetting your kids. But I'm sure god (should he or she exist) is big enough to deal with that
    Islam. Ok with other religions provided that they are not of the fundamentalist and exploitative kind. However, so much evil and exploitation and persecution has happened in the name of Christianity over the last two thousand years and continues to happen that I'm not throwing any stones

So do you guys think that physics and evolutionary biology have disproved the big fella with a long white beard sitting on a cloud on the other side of the moon? What kind of evidence would convince you otherwise?

Science is chipping away all the time. Evolution is now widely accepted as explaining the development of species and geology pretty much dates the age of the earth. But Creationists persist in their belief that the earth is a few thousand years old.
    Most religions believe that Man has a soul, so it would follow that if evolution is correct, unless everything is so blessed, a man was born to a soulless mother, be it a chimpanzee or all the way back to a string of amino acid.
    The more science is able to explain, the less convincing religion becomes.
    Don't forget that people used to worship the sun, moon, tides etc. As science began to explain all these things, the gods were discarded.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Mikey23 wrote:

I think so. But when you look at the number of people who do believe, worldwide, the scale of the delusion is truly staggering.

I've seen reports that say religion tends to be more prevalent where education/literacy is low, and I think this was the case in the Uk through the middle ages. It was fostered in some degree by all the services taking part in a language which most couldn't understand.* I feel that at that time religion was 'imposed' on people rather than them following with any voluntary belief, you'd certainly struggle to be a non-believer as you would be an outcast.

This carried on into the last century. I recall my dad telling me that he had to go to the local vicar to ask for money to pay for his upcoming hospital bill in the pre-NHS days. As a 'member' of the church he could do this, so it's not surprising that people at least paid a lip service to the church.

*Is this is the case of Islam in some societies? I'm sure i read somewhere that the Koran 'has' to be arabic, and so you have to learn that to be able to read your own religion.

Islam BTW, I can just about get my head around why a man would believe in the eternal, but what's in it for women?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Nothing can disprove the existence of gods.

However what science has done is given us a tool to investigate nature. As a result the list of things for which a god was previously needed to explain is getting smaller.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mikey23
    Many points here but will take them one at a time

Nailing my colours to the mast, I also think its quite absurd to believe that the earth is about 6000 years old which i think comes about by adding up all the genealogies. it quite obviously isn't. Proved and beyond reasonable doubt. I don't think many Christians believe it either, other than the fundamentalists many of whom seem to live in the USA and seem to lack capacity to think for themselves. i strongly believe that this kind of Luddite thinking is damaging to any credible belief system...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Daz555 wrote:
    Nothing can disprove the existence of gods.

And nothing can prove their existence either, in fact there isn't anything that even suggests their existence.

As mentioned, the belief in 'gods' is born from man not being able to explain the world around him.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Just a thought-if gods exist & you look at the state of the world they are all powerful & don't care or do care & are not all powerful. Take your pick.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Just a thought-if gods exist & you look at the state of the world they are all powerful & don't care or do care & are not all powerful. Take your pick.

Ah yes, but what if one "god" bet another that this is what we would do to the world if given freedom of choice?
    Or was it aliens? Or a book?

The people who really need to believe in a god will always be able to justify any flaw in logic we might come up with on here, no matter what it happens to be :roll:
  • Mikey23
    So is the point of existence to be born, to exist and to die? And how do you feel when your favourite auntie Nellie gets sick and dies?
  • Stevo_666
    Mikey23 wrote:
    So is the point of existence to be born, to exist and to die?
    A Dawkins book I read a long time ago, "The Selfish Gene" gives quite a credible explanation: basically we're just vehicles for perpetuating our genetic code. A bit of an eye opener (and maybe a bit depressing if you had thought that life had some higher purpose), but the argument is the most credible one I've come across. Worth a read.
  • So is the point of existence to be born, to exist and to die? And how do you feel when your favourite auntie Nellie gets sick and dies?

One, YES! What else is there? Second, very sorry, but, everyone does
  • Mikey23
    @stevo... Yup ta, read it along with many other of his books while I was stil a comfy atheist. I like what he writes but was never quite happy with his reductionist evangelical fervour, which he seems to peddle over and over again like a stuck record. In the end, I started to feel quite sorry for him. And he helped me on an exciting journey of discovery which I will not go into here. Hence my original post!!