Internet Bullying

Comments

• ive just googled adultwork, now im in trouble
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    If you feel you are being bullied report the relevant posts and contact a moderator.

Serious question; what training do the mods have to assess what is or isn't bullying, and how to handle it ? I understand that the mods on Ask.FM are to have training in such matters, will this be the case here ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I wouldn't make a complaint for two reasons.

1) I wouldn't take offence at most stuff said but if I felt it was over the top and became threatening I would handle it myself.

2) just because I felt someone else was bein bullied it is only my opinion and the person I felt being bullied could in fact be taking it as a joke.

I guess this is why these things are so difficult to deal with as we just don't know how people will react.
    Living MY dream.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    MattC59 wrote:
    If you feel you are being bullied report the relevant posts and contact a moderator.

Serious question; what training do the mods have to assess what is or isn't bullying, and how to handle it ? I understand that the mods on Ask.FM are to have training in such matters, will this be the case here ?
    No. Moderators are volunteers.

Do bear in mind this forum is reactively moderated. If a post isn't reported and a mod doesn't come across it through casual use it is unlikely to be taken down.

Reporting posts is THE (only) way to get a moderator to look at it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I saw someone bullied on here, but it was by a mod :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    team47b wrote:
    I saw someone bullied on here, but it was by a mod :D

Oh you beauty !!!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:

Do bear in mind this forum is reactively moderated. If a post isn't reported and a mod doesn't come across it through casual use it is unlikely to be taken down.

So if there is no training, can we assume that the interpretation of bullying will be by unqualified individuals and met with indiscriminate banning or locking of threads ?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    See Bottom Bracket re Cleat thread. :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

So if there is no training, can we assume that the interpretation of bullying will be by unqualified individuals and met with indiscriminate banning or locking of threads ?
    Pretty much. If mods think what is being posted breaks the rules they'll act accordingly.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Pretty much. If mods think what is being posted breaks the rules they'll act accordingly.

What about when mods get heavy handed and incorrectly interpret banter as bullying and make unnecessary warnings ?
  • rick_chasey
    Who's judging what's incorrect and what isn't? It's pretty straightforward.

Don't comment on modding. Don't comment on reported posts.

Don't make personal attacks, even if an attempt at 'banter' if there is a chance it won't be viewed positively. One man's banter is another's bullying so you should err on the side of caution. Sailing close to the wind is always going to result in the odd slap of the wrist.

To be clear the problem isn't the moderating. The problem is the constant rule breaking. If you don't like it, see ya.
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240

.....snip, snip..... Sailing close to the wind is always going to result in the odd slap of the wrist.

To be clear the problem isn't the moderating. The problem is the constant rule breaking. If you don't like it, see ya.

Arguably one of the most bonkers things I've read on here.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • VTech
    VmanF3 wrote:

.....snip, snip..... Sailing close to the wind is always going to result in the odd slap of the wrist.

Some may say because of that you will remain in F3 and never progress to F1 ? Bonkers to some I grant you.
    Living MY dream.
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    VTech wrote:
    VmanF3 wrote:

Some may say because of that you will remain in F3 and never progress to F1 ? Bonkers to some I grant you.

FYI, F3 doesn't apply to motor racing....

I dislike hearing phrases such as above, it borders on a situation that is not overly pleasing. A number of years ago, not questioning 'authorities' landed a whole load of people into a whole world of pain. It can be dealt with better. Not discussing a situation is a sorry state of affairs. Throwing, 'if you don't like it, see ya' is not a solution.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • VTech
    VmanF3 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    VmanF3 wrote:

FYI, F3 doesn't apply to motor racing....

I dislike hearing phrases such as above, it borders on a situation that is not overly pleasing. A number of years ago, not questioning 'authorities' landed a whole load of people into a whole world of pain. It can be dealt with better. Not discussing a situation is a sorry state of affairs. Throwing, 'if you don't like it, see ya' is not a solution.

I was jesting, I didnt think it did. Also, im not on the side of either mods or members. I just think that there are quite a few people on here who make it an almost obsession like focus to upset others, out of pleasure it seems.
    There are a few people here who at first I thought were this type but have realised that in fact they are quite funny and amusing to read what they write but rest assured there are those that are nothing short of nasty.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was one of a small cohort of 'brainy' kids from the local council estate who went to the the grammar school and we were subject to pretty regular And merciless bullying by the sons of gentlefolk which was not discouraged by the teachers. I was pretty weedy as well so couldn't stand up physically so learned to survive by my wits, sort of taking the mickey out of myself and being a bit of a clown. Still haunts me to this day. my personal opinion is that some of the stuff directed at vtech was a little OTT and went beyond background banter but I'm pleased he has come through that and been accepted for the diversity of his opinions
  • ballysmate

Don't make personal attacks, even if an attempt at 'banter' if there is a chance it won't be viewed positively. One man's banter is another's bullying so you should err on the side of caution. Sailing close to the wind is always going to result in the odd slap of the wrist.

I accept that being a mod is an invidious task.
    I admit that I broke the rules, was admonished, took the advice on board and have not transgressed since. I have no problem with that at all. I was in the wrong.
    What I do find bizarre, and it appears that I am not alone, is that I am free to discuss anyone and anyone's opinion, save that of a mod. If I post anything people disagree with, people are free to take the mickey or argue, that is what fora are about. If a mod does something that people find strange, why should we be precluded from discussing it, hopefully like adults. I know that the mods will always have the final say, but perhaps one day, after a balanced discussion, a mod might say,'You know what lads, I acted hastily, I've learned from that for next time.'
    As I said, I learned from experience, perhaps a mod could learn something as well.
  • rick_chasey
    You can discuss my opinions all you want.

Feel free to argue with what I have to say about everything, apart from modding.

It's honestly not difficult.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    edited August 2013

Feel free to argue with what I have to say about everything, apart from modding.

Sounds very American Police like, the whole no-one can question my authority/decisions thing.
  • team47b

Is that an opinion? :D
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    edited August 2013
    Camp Nama rings a bell :)

This post is not directed at any specific moderator.
  • I've put my tin foil hat on as well to protect me from the flames! :lol:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413

Not everything is in black and white, opinions vary, as to perceptions of what is acceptable, particularly on subjects like bullying, when its happening and trying to identify the real victim, if any. Your opinion might be one extreme of a subject, mine or others might be another. We listen, we debate, we find balance in between. The problem comes when these extreme views are forced onto others with no debate or balance.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    I would like to make it clear to all mods, and this is honestly not difficult. In no circumstances feel that you have to intercede on my behalf if you think people are ganging up on or having a go at me on here.
    If I am affronted, feel bullied or whatever, I will deal with it myself. The only thing that would make me feel small would be someone interceding because they thought I was weak or needed protecting from a few, at the end of the day, anonymous words.
  • team47b
    Ballysmate wrote:
    In no circumstances feel that you have to intercede on my behalf if you think people are ganging up on or having a go at me on here.
    If I am affronted, feel bullied or whatever, I will deal with it myself. The only thing that would make me feel small would be someone interceding because they thought I was weak or needed protecting from a few, at the end of the day, anonymous words.

can we assume this is the case for most people or do we have to 'opt in', what do you think you daft old sod? :D
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I don't think I have ever felt bullied on the internet. To feel bullied on a forum you have to care what the other person is saying about you or care that other people will. As this (and nearly all) forums are largely anonymous I think this would be quite rare.

Personally I like the fact that these boards are moderated; it adds a degree of controversy every so often. It's just a shame they're not moderated for correct grammar and spelling.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited August 2013
    Don't comment on modding.

Ooooh, goody. no right to free speech!

Stalin, Mugabe, Mao Tse Tung, Rick Chasey. :lol:

Seriously, you need to think about this sort of comment. it's one thing to expect members to (rightly) respect the judgement of Mods in actions that they probably know more about (eg via pms) than we do but once you start putting the jack boots on and demanding unquestioning obedience irrespective of your actions, then you've crossed a bit of a line that maybe you shouldn't have. And it isn't necessary or healthy.

I genuinely don't understand why you can't handle comments on modding. If you are modding fairly, then there shouldn't be many (that was my experience of modding on a big forum) and if you aren't modding fairly, are being clumsy, heavy handed, thread closing trigger happy etc etc you should be keen to gain the feedback and learn from mistakes. Obviously this is a comment on modding in a general sense rather than on BR specifically......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • seanoconn
    GiantMike wrote:
    I don't think I have ever felt bullied on the internet. To feel bullied on a forum you have to care what the other person is saying about you or care that other people will. As this (and nearly all) forums are largely anonymous I think this would be quite rare.

Personally I like the fact that these boards are moderated; it adds a degree of controversy every so often. It's just a shame they're not moderated for correct grammar and spelling.
    I fink youll find its spelt grammer. I spelled checked spelling and your correct
  • team47b
    GiantMike wrote:
    As this (and nearly all) forums are largely anonymous I think this would be quite rare.

Plural of forum is fora, although I realise it is not the pragmatic solution. I know you don't care :D
  • seanoconn
    Rolf F wrote:
    Don't comment on modding.

Ooooh, goody. no right to free speech!

Stalin, Mugabe, Mao Tse Tung, Rick Chasey. :lol:

Seriously, you need to think about this sort of comment. it's one thing to expect members to (rightly) respect the judgement of Mods in actions that they probably know more about (eg via pms) than we do but once you start putting the jack boots on and demanding unquestioning obedience irrespective of your actions, then you've crossed a bit of a line that maybe you shouldn't have. And it isn't necessary or healthy.

I genuinely don't understand why you can't handle comments on modding. If you are modding fairly, then there shouldn't be many (that was my experience of modding on a big forum) and if you aren't modding fairly, are being clumsy, heavy handed, thread closing trigger happy etc etc you should be keen to gain the feedback and learn from mistakes. Obviously this is a comment on modding in a general sense rather than on BR specifically......

Good post