The best all-rounder?

benmarsh87
benmarsh87 Posts: 24
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I know there isn't one bike that will do everything equally well but I'd like something that's going to be competent in a few situations. Want something that's going to eat the ground well and be comfortable over the long straightish trails like a 29er but be agile and corner like a 26er. I've been looking at some 650b bikes (as logic dictates that they would kinda do both pretty well) but they are quite expensive at the moment.

My budget is £850 but I will push to £1000 if there's something that's particularly good value.

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    You'd struggle to get a 650b HT under £1000
  • http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec041448

this in the evans sale now and under a thousand, just
  • Not once the 2014 bikes start trickling into retails, there'll be a a few down at the 1k mark.

Also, that's only what I've been looking at, I'm open to other bikes.
  • Anyone had a Jamis bike before? Wondering what the frame quality and ride is like?
  • benmarsh87 wrote:
    Anyone had a Jamis bike before? Wondering what the frame quality and ride is like?

why dont you book a demo with one to find out
  • I'd like to get someones opinion too, if someones had a good experience with them I'll go try one.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    Want something that's going to eat the ground well and be comfortable over the long straightish trails like a 29er but be agile and corner like a 26er. I've been looking at some 650b bikes (as logic dictates that they would kinda do both pretty well) but they are quite expensive at the moment.

Just testing your logic… If a 29er is best on long straight trails and a 26er is best handling, isn’t a 650b the worst of both worlds?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Look, I'm looking for advise not to be tested. If you think a 650b isn't a good choice for an all-rounder then just tell me. I'm looking for some genuine constructive feedback as to what in people's opinion makes a good all-rounder and if there are any bikes in particular out there that can be recommended.

From what I've heard a 650b rolls over terrain better than a 26er but is more agile than a 29er which means, yes, logically the wheel size in the middle (27.5) would be competent at both. Obviously its going to be worse at rolling over terrain than a 29er and wouldn't be quite as nimble as the 26er but that doesn't mean it's bad at either.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    650B should actually be called 27" as the rims are 25mm larger diameter than 26 (and a 29 is 28.5" on the same basis) - just for info.

I agree that reviews suggest a 650B is closer to a 29er than 'halfway' in terms of rolling stuff and closer than halfway to a 26er in tersm of mobility, so is best and not worst of both. If I were getting a new HT right now it would be 650B.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    the new 650b orange crush (yes I know it's an orange :roll: ) looks great, but it is £1050
  • I can't find the orange crush under like £1200.

Awesome guys thanks, this is the info I was looking for haha. Keep it coming.

Some people seem to have to be a smart a*** :roll: instead of actually answering a question.
  • The Rookie
    To be fair, often people ask questions on here not realising that they are asking a different question to that which they want the answer to, hence poeople will seek to clarify if that is actually the question they meant to ask.

Eaxmple: Someone asks which is the best value of these three (all actually poor value) bikes, we could just answer the question as asked and them buy a poor value bike, or we can clarify why they are linking to them and seek to give advice on which is actually the best value bike for them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd say my question is straight forward - what makes a good all-rounder and are there any bikes within my budget you would consider a good all-rounder.

Posts such as "Just testing your logic… If a 29er is best on long straight trails and a 26er is best handling, isn’t a 650b the worst of both worlds"? really don't accomplish anything and are hardly constructive whereas your comment was rather useful.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    I'd say my question is straight forward - what makes a good all-rounder and are there any bikes within my budget you would consider a good all-rounder.

Posts such as "Just testing your logic… If a 29er is best on long straight trails and a 26er is best handling, isn’t a 650b the worst of both worlds"? really don't accomplish anything and are hardly constructive whereas your comment was rather useful.

He's trying to tell you get a 29er or 26er, 650b is fine but on your budget you'd be much better off getting one of the others

I know someone who takes a 29er HT on black runs so don't just assume 29er will stop you riding a steep part because actually it will help
  • I heard the geometry on 29ers has come along massively and there seems to be a lot of people using them for down hill riding. I was looking at the Cube LTD 29 as that seemed quite good value for money. So would you say the 29er makes a better all rounder or a 26er?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I think you are getting hung up on wheel sizes. Go and try some bikes and see what suits you.
  • I think your probably right. I miss the days when it was 26er or nothing. Too much choice :lol: What do you ride?
  • Having spent a lifetime on 26" hardtails I got myself a Genesis Mantle 30 29er hardtail a couple of weeks ago on CycleScheme. I tried out both the 29er Mantle and the 26er Core at Glentress where they have them on the hire fleet. The 29er (basic Mantle 10) was a revelation on the uphill climbs (fast) and an absolute hoot coming down the red run (Spooky wood, matrix, magic mushroom etc). Rolled brilliantly (almost too quick on berms etc), stable on rocky/rooty stuff and generally really good fun. Got my mojo back. I don't do any radical DH stuff or bit drops. It was just a pretty good all round bike - maybe not as nimble ad my Stumpjumper but once on the move it's pretty sure footed. I liked the Genesis as it seemed a straightforward no frill bike that was quite well equiped.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    I think your probably right. I miss the days when it was 26er or nothing. Too much choice :lol: What do you ride?

Links in my sig, both 26"
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Have you (the OP) tried bikes with both sizes of wheel? If so, did you really find the 29er to roll better, or the 26er to be more agile? I built a 29er after trying one, because there was something about the wheel size that I'd experienced and I liked. I've not noticed it feeling less agile than any 26er I've tried, but that may be the effect of a rigid carbon fork. So what I'm getting at is, try both before you decide. " 29ers roll better, 26er are more agile" is just what the magazines say.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have a 26" full suss and a 29er hardtail and if i had to have 1 bike it would be a 29er hardtail . For me in a large size it makes sense it doesnt look silly as a large, covers ground fast, goes uphill better than a 26 bike and seems to smooth the trail out .
    You soon get to used to the increase in wheel size and i regularly do black runs at various trail centres on it although once i jump back on my 26" full suss you do feel the sharper turn in and smaller size .
    As above try one i got mine for commuting and occasional play bike but have found im using it a lot more than my trail bike at the mo although that will change when the weather changes .

like my sig says my bike is a Boardman 29er with hope pro2 and crest rims and currently weighs 27.5 lbs .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • briefcasew wrote:
    Having spent a lifetime on 26" hardtails I got myself a Genesis Mantle 30 29er hardtail a couple of weeks ago on CycleScheme. I tried out both the 29er Mantle and the 26er Core at Glentress where they have them on the hire fleet. The 29er (basic Mantle 10) was a revelation on the uphill climbs (fast) and an absolute hoot coming down the red run (Spooky wood, matrix, magic mushroom etc). Rolled brilliantly (almost too quick on berms etc), stable on rocky/rooty stuff and generally really good fun. Got my mojo back. I don't do any radical DH stuff or bit drops. It was just a pretty good all round bike - maybe not as nimble ad my Stumpjumper but once on the move it's pretty sure footed. I liked the Genesis as it seemed a straightforward no frill bike that was quite well equiped.

I actually looked at both those bikes but it was the Core that seemed to stand out to me however the Mantle was recommended by my local bike shop (Cycle Gear).
  • benmarsh87 wrote:
    Look, I'm looking for advise not to be tested. If you think a 650b isn't a good choice for an all-rounder then just tell me. I'm looking for some genuine constructive feedback as to what in people's opinion makes a good all-rounder and if there are any bikes in particular out there that can be recommended.

From what I've heard a 650b rolls over terrain better than a 26er but is more agile than a 29er which means, yes, logically the wheel size in the middle (27.5) would be competent at both. Obviously its going to be worse at rolling over terrain than a 29er and wouldn't be quite as nimble as the 26er but that doesn't mean it's bad at either.

You're bang on there :) I think MBUK magazine did a scientific test between the three different wheel sizes. They kept power constant over a 30 minute red run lap. The 650b wheel size was only something like 3 seconds slower than a 29er, where as a 26er was around 30 seconds slower. 650b seems the best option to me at least.
  • You could always go completely over kill and purchase this for £1000 : http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATX5/o ... y_fat_bike ;)
  • The Rookie
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Have you (the OP) tried bikes with both sizes of wheel? If so, did you really find the 29er to roll better, or the 26er to be more agile? I built a 29er after trying one, because there was something about the wheel size that I'd experienced and I liked. I've not noticed it feeling less agile than any 26er I've tried, but that may be the effect of a rigid carbon fork. So what I'm getting at is, try both before you decide. " 29ers roll better, 26er are more agile" is just what the magazines say.
    It's not JUST what magzines say, it's what many people say who have ridden both.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    ................... " 29ers roll better, 26er are more agile" is just what the magazines say.

It's not JUST what magzines say, it's what many people say who have ridden both.

^^^ this, and yes I have.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    Look, I'm looking for advise not to be tested. If you think a 650b isn't a good choice for an all-rounder then just tell me. I'm looking for some genuine constructive feedback as to what in people's opinion makes a good all-rounder and if there are any bikes in particular out there that can be recommended.

:roll:

Believe what you know, not what you've read Grasshopper. Get along to a few demo days and find a bike that suits you, not one that suits a mtb mag hack who is looking forward to his next "long term test" bike...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I have ridden all three. 29ers just feel like huge tanks, they roll over anything but you don't feel connected to the bike like you do on usual 26ers. They're very fast though. 650bs are the best balance. :)
  • The Rookie
    Not sure 29ers are like tanks.

My own comparison was between my (custom built) Carrera Kraken and an otherwise similar in concept (short travel XC orinetated lightweight) Trek Superfly Elite (carbon - all £4,000 worth), the superfly accelerated a little slower than mine, was easier once I got to speed to maintain it (and probably rolling faster), but felt very cumbersome in slowish corners (admittedly something I'm not great at), by comparicon on the same demo loop (Which I couldn't ride on mine) a Pivot Mach 4 felt as nimble as mine, more comfortable (being FS) on the 'chattery' surfaces but was obviously heavier than mine so acceleration was similer to the lighter (but more rotational inertia) 29er.

Given my feelings match with many other comments, while I've not ridden a 650B, I can imagine it will sit somewhere above the middle in both attributes, therfore for a sole bike the best of both worlds unless one world is much more important to you than the other!
  • I myself haven't driven a tank so I admit that comparison might be exaggerated ;) I've ridden all of my mates' 29ers (that's 5 different bikes) and they do vary, but mostly in the feel of the frame, not handling. I guess it's all down to taste, personally I prefer smaller wheels as 29ers just aren't quite as fun, but they're so much faster. Unfortunately, I've completely ignored the question so far... If you are looking at 29ers, this seems like a fantastic deal : https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3208 . I don't know if someone's already suggested them, but I would explore Canyon bikes quite a lot as they are all very good value. I can't think of many 650b bikes as it's obviously a brand new system :(