XT or SLX

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
What are your thoughts one Shimano XT vs SLX?

Excluding the BB and brakes is the XT worth the extra money over SLX?

How do they compare to X9?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ej2320 wrote:
    What are your thoughts one Shimano XT vs SLX?

Not much difference in weight or performance just extra shiny bits on XT
    Excluding the BB and brakes is the XT worth the extra money over SLX?

No
    How do they compare to X9?

SLX is cheaper and longer lasting
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ej2320
    Thanks stubs

Can you get SLX with the shadow + rear mech?
  • ej2320
    Just found an XT groupset with BB and shadow plus £75 more than SLX with BB but no shadow plus

Is it still not worth it?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    you looking for a complete group set? check out here:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... tAodqFQAVg
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    well due to price and what others have said unless you want a full groupset of xt is go

chainset - slx
    front mech - slx
    rear mech xt with clutch thing
    cassette - slx
    shifters - xt

but do xt chain rings and cassette wear more heavily than slx ?

I have heard mixed reviews whether they do or not.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    SLX to save a few pounds, XT to save a few grams. I went all XT because the Germans had such a good offer on them, but saved even more by going for Deore brakes (the latest version of which is probably on a par with SLX in every way)

Edit: The XT cranks look much nicer, too.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ej2320
    welshkev wrote:

I found a full 2x10 SLX with BB and choice of parts for £260
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ej2320 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

what do you mean choice of parts? seems like a good price though :D
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    edited August 2013
    ej2320 wrote:
    Thanks stubs

Can you get SLX with the shadow + rear mech?

Yes, you can get shadow + SLX mechs. You can get a shadow plus deore mech too.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • ej2320
    welshkev wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

what do you mean choice of parts? seems like a good price though :D

Type of rear mech mount, gear ratios, crank arm length, gear numbering on shifters ect
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Having tried a selection of Deore, SLX and XT components across a few demo bikes I have the opinion they all work pretty well. Apart from the clutch mech not being present on Deore, I think they all have the same features?

As you move up the range, the weight does drop a bit and the action feels a bit smoother. They all shifted fine each time, it just felt nicer when you pushed the button (hope that makes sense?).

I'd imagine its a similar story with XT vs XTR. If the slickness or the small weight differences matter then go for XTR but if you want functionality and value for money then XT or even SLX is the one to have.
  • ej2320
    jairaj wrote:
    Having tried a selection of Deore, SLX and XT components across a few demo bikes I have the opinion they all work pretty well. Apart from the clutch mech not being present on Deore, I think they all have the same features?

As you move up the range, the weight does drop a bit and the action feels a bit smoother. They all shifted fine each time, it just felt nicer when you pushed the button (hope that makes sense?).

I'd imagine its a similar story with XT vs XTR. If the slickness or the small weight differences matter then go for XTR but if you want functionality and value for money then XT or even SLX is the one to have.

I understand, I think it will come down to budget, If I can afford XT I'll get it just to save a bit of weight
    Otherwise I'll be pretty cuffed to get an SLX groupset for £250

The one I found has the M670 rear mech not M675 which means no clutch system I assume? I would like the clutch if it saves running a chain guide
  • ej2320
    Will the 2014 ones launch end of August?

Is it cheaper to buy a groupset or buy each part seperatly?
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Just found an XT groupset with BB and shadow plus £75 more than SLX with BB but no shadow plus

Where did you find the XT groupset with BB and shadow plus?
    I'm in the market for a new groupset also a link would be helpful cheers :wink:
  • jairaj
    The component manufacturers don't release new group sets every year like a lot of bike manufacturers. They release them as when there is a significant change. I don't follow the gossip to much but don't think Shimano are about to launch anything new?

Usually whole groupsets are cheaper. But you are sometimes limited in your choice of ratios or crank length etc or if you try to change the default option there is a higher price to pay. But a bit of clever shopping around and you won't pay too much premium for picking each component separately.

Also unless you have a lot of dropped chain issues, I don't think the clutch mech is worth paying a significant amount more the shadow (non plus) mech works great. If you want to reduce chain slap noise wrap an inner tube around the chain stay.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

Where did you find the XT groupset with BB and shadow plus?
    I'm in the market for a new groupset also a link would be helpful cheers :wink:

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Component ... 39825.html

It's €400 with the shadow + so about £335

It's not the cheapest I think it was about €15 cheaper on another German site but this one offered all the options

It says includes BB in the description somewhere

Have a look on Bike24 Bike-discount Bike components and any other online shop but about €400 seems to be good

Merlin had it at £300 but they've sold out of front mechs, they might get some back in so worth a look
  • ej2320
    jairaj wrote:
    The component manufacturers don't release new group sets every year like a lot of bike manufacturers. They release them as when there is a significant change. I don't follow the gossip to much but don't think Shimano are about to launch anything new?

Usually whole groupsets are cheaper. But you are sometimes limited in your choice of ratios or crank length etc or if you try to change the default option there is a higher price to pay. But a bit of clever shopping around and you won't pay too much premium for picking each component separately.

Also unless you have a lot of dropped chain issues, I don't think the clutch mech is worth paying a significant amount more the shadow (non plus) mech works great. If you want to reduce chain slap noise wrap an inner tube around the chain stay.

I think a new 2014 deore set is coming, it's been ramped up so I really have no idea what the difference between Deore and XT will be now.. Haven't heard news on SLX or XT other than a new chain

The new chain that is even slicker in shifts and more durable as it has a new coating that holds lube better

I'll shop around but I suspect £350 for a full SLX set with brakes is the best I'll get

I have a X9 rear mech without the clutch and literally can't use the 2nd chain ring on anything other than roads or I drop the chain... And Im not keen on having the chain device as it adds resistance
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    jairaj wrote:

The new Deore M610 does have a clutch. Amazing for the money

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... upset.html
  • ej2320
    adamfo wrote:
    jairaj wrote:

The new Deore M610 does have a clutch. Amazing for the money

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... upset.html

I reckon if I looked on the German sites you could snap it up for £250, but I think I'd rather pay a little extra for the SLX, saves a bit or weight and the chain rings seem more durable with slightly better shifts... And I think the SLX looks better ;)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    A quick look at the Deore groupset seems to show SLX being squeezed out of the middle of the range - the only thing it doesn't have is a 2 x 10 option.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ej2320
    Giraffoto wrote:
    A quick look at the Deore groupset seems to show SLX being squeezed out of the middle of the range - the only thing it doesn't have is a 2 x 10 option.

I don't really care, whatever happens its gonna be miles cheaper than X9 ;)
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    i run a mostly XT 2x10 drivetrain on my FS, with the only changes being XTR shifters (cos i'm worth it!) and an SLX shadow+ rear mech. Shifting has been flawless so far, with no dropped chains.
    SLX if definately worth it and IMHO the SLX rear mech looks loads better that the XT (its important, ok?!).
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • ej2320
    Penylope wrote:
    i run a mostly XT 2x10 drivetrain on my FS, with the only changes being XTR shifters (cos i'm worth it!) and an SLX shadow+ rear mech. Shifting has been flawless so far, with no dropped chains.
    SLX if definitely worth it and IMHO the SLX rear mech looks loads better that the XT (its important, ok?!).

I bet that on the SC Blur is rapid!
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Yup :D
    The demo (alloy) bike i tried had a non clutch rear mech, the shadow+ makes a huge difference! The added bonus of running SLX over XT is that if i clatter the rear mech, SLX is (a bit) cheaper to replace but with not much (if any) loss of performance. That doesnt stop me wanting an XTR Shadow+ mech though :(
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • ej2320
    Penylope wrote:
    Yup :D
    The demo (alloy) bike i tried had a non clutch rear mech, the shadow+ makes a huge difference! The added bonus of running SLX over XT is that if i clatter the rear mech, SLX is (a bit) cheaper to replace but with not much (if any) loss of performance. That doesnt stop me wanting an XTR Shadow+ mech though :(

Out of interest what sort of spec do you have on the Blur? I'm thinking about building a Heckler you see
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I can't recall ever seeing Shimano cheaper in Germany once you take into account 3% discount ordering via quidco, discount codes on CRC + Wiggle and free postage. I do check around.

I recently bought a Dura Ace crankset and it was cheaper here than America despite 20% VAT.
    I also bought a Stealth Reverb 125mm with bleed kit for £199 from Merlin which, at the time,was way cheaper than Germany.

Tyre sets are cheaper in Germany.
  • jairaj
    Depends what you're after. For the default selection can be very cheap on the UK website but once you start to select different options ie sprocket sizes or mech length, the price goes up a lot.

I found the German sites had more consistent pricing across the different options and turned out to be cheaper for my requirements. This was back in spring when I ordered pretty much a whole new XT groupset.
  • ej2320
    I would certainly look on most websites for the cheapest

I've found actions sports to be good on options and offer most at no extra charge

What's quidco?

Also why are there different mech lengths? And what's the difference between 170mm or 175mm crank arm
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Different capacities (tooth difference front and back)

And about 5mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    ej2320 wrote:
    I would certainly look on most websites for the cheapest

I've found actions sports to be good on options and offer most at no extra charge

What's quidco?

Also why are there different mech lengths? And what's the difference between 170mm or 175mm crank arm

Quidco is a cashback site (topcashback is another), you sign into your Quidco account then click through to the company you want to buy the parts from and proceed as normal. The cashback is then added to your Quidco account and after a few months if it all goes through ok, you can get it paid out. The level of cashback can vary quite a bit depending on the retailer or even the product but I'd view it as a possible bonus rather than relying on it - if the company has a good price and there's possible quidco then that's good because you may get a few quid back later down the line but if a company has an ok price but very good quidco, I'd still go for the lower outright price in case the Quidco doesn't pay out.

In reference to the topic I've spent a while deliberating over two bike models, one with mainly SLX (XT rear mech and Deore crank) and one with the full Deore XT groupset which was quite a bit pricier. I decided to stick with the SLX bike as my current one is mostly Deore (aside form the SLX rear mech) and I've had no issues with it, the brakes and gear shifting have worked well and consistently since I've had despite a lot of rough usage.

John