Loudest/Favourite Hub sound

2»

Comments

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    capoz77 wrote:
    For those with quiet hubs how do you scatter the ramblers when your going full tilt down a trail?

Pull the bloodclart rear brake and get it sidewayssss.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have an SS Trizoid but been very naughty and 'filled' (not completely obviously) it with a very thin LMP grease so in instead of being loud it just gives a nice metallic 'zzzzzzziinnnnggggggg' - sweat!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jay76
    Jay76 Posts: 58
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Crossmax SLR

+1 Love the sound of mine too.. Defined ticking not too loud or brash but enough volume to be heard.
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • I have superstar switch evo hubs on mavic xm719 rims. When they arrived I was really disappointed with the sound.
    At the beginning of summer I took the rear hub apart, cleaned and degreased it and put it back together with just a bit of FL dry on the pawls. Its now much better and louder, warns other cyclists and walkers when im approaching from behind.
    Come winter I will put a dab of grease back in again though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jay76 wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Crossmax SLR

+1 Love the sound of mine too.. Defined ticking not too loud or brash but enough volume to be heard.
    Until you get the Mavic screech of death anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I have Hope's on all my mtb's, the sound is just normal now and as others have said, it's useful for getting people out of my way.

My favourite sounding hubs however are Chris King's, they sound beautiful!
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    PaulBox wrote:
    I have Hope's on all my mtb's, the sound is just normal now and as others have said, it's useful for getting people out of my way.

Chris King is too damn pricey
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    ej2320 wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

Chris King is too damn pricey

once had some Chris King hubs but sold them when in in need of some cash,what a mistake,"best sound ever" on a hub,now have pro2 evo's,with them being so loud makes me keep pedaling,i am thinking of changing rear for a superstar tesla,to get the nice buzz sound back
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    ej2320 wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:
    For those with quiet hubs how do you scatter the ramblers when your going full tilt down a trail?

I go places where ramblers dont. Where theres ramblers theres dog sh1t.

I try to, but always come across people on rides, and i'm not about to fit a bell LOL :lol:

This. Mine was useful at clearing a couple of walkers off of the trails up at Cannock yesterday. Cheeky buggers even told me to slow down because it was dangerous. They got told to learn to read the signs and mind their own business.

Right moody buggers at Cannock. I came across two walkers on the Monkey trail who refused to move and attempted to kick my bike. After a bit of swearing I moved on.

Personally I like the loud click because I like hearing my bike working but also because I love the way people look at it, It's also easier to detect a hub issue I guess

Used to like walkers until I got back into biking. Absolute idiots! I had one man stand on the trail with he's hands on he's hips staring straight at me! I did the exact same as I do when its busy in the traffird centre, head down (pretending not to notice) and carry on full pelt! Surprising how many shoppers, (always women I may add) and idiot walkers get out the way! Loadsa stories!

You should have kicked them!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    The walkers think mtb ers are taking up THEIR Forrest. They have their own designated walking route and I bet you rarely catch a biker using one of those
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    I like the silent clutch Shimano ones.
    Me too, but I can't seem to find one that will work with a 15mm thru-axle. I thought the Saint would be silent, but alas not.
    Still, fairly quiet though.