ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi,

Your answer to the title

I'd have to say Hope Pro 2 evos out of all I've heard

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find loud hubs annoying. A nicely serviced and near silent Nukeproof generator for me.
  • ej2320
    I find loud hubs annoying. A nicely serviced and near silent Nukeproof generator for me.

Fair preference, some like it quiet

I'm one of those that wants it so loud it annoys everyone ;)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I like the silent clutch Shimano ones.
  • ej2320
    supersonic wrote:
    I like the silent clutch Shimano ones.

I know the one, after a few years it becomes a quiet gentle click
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Love my hope pro evo rear hub. Mate has recently bought one too and is a bit miffed that mine, for no obvious reason, is louder than his. I like to make mine click whilst climbing behind a mate so he can hear that you're freewheeling! Likely i'll lose my mates soon...
  • ej2320
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Love my hope pro evo rear hub. Mate has recently bought one too and is a bit miffed that mine, for no obvious reason, is louder than his. I like to make mine click whilst climbing behind a mate so he can hear that you're freewheeling! Likely i'll lose my mates soon...

How old is yours? The click tends to get louder as its used due to the grease getting pushed out. It's Likely that his has more grease packed in as its fresh from the factory and the grease in yours has thinned and dispersed meaning more metal on metal click :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I like my Superstar Trizoid hub sounds like your being chased by an angry metal wasp.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ej2320
    Would you recommend superstars? I was thinking or getting a custom build
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Noisy freehubs are annoying as fuck. The LBS made my hope one really noisy last time they had it, so i just greased all the pawls up... Though it is useful for letting walkers know you're coming up behind them.
    And yes, I'd recommend superstar ones, they're nice and quiet ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ej2320 wrote:
    Would you recommend superstars? I was thinking or getting a custom build

I have never had a problem with the set I have and a mate hasnt had any problems either apart from his bearings died because he was jet washing the bike. I hit him with a hammer till he promised not to use a jet washer again and replaced the rusty bearings for him with a kit from KaTec. Both sets of wheels were straight, my back wheel got a mech smashed through the spokes by a rock but a handful of spokes and an hour on the wheel jig and I had it round and straight again.

Cheapish, lightish and in my experience reliable plus they come in some migraine inducing colour combos so whats not to like :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Meh. I like my hope hubs, they've got their merits, but the noise, I'm sick of it now. I've packed the everyday one on the EG out with grease to try and quieten it down. Got a separate beefy DH wheelset from the 456 still which funnily enough I use when I play DH stuff, never seem to notice it as I'm normally concentrating too much I imagine.

At least on the xc bike the clicking reminds me to keep pedalling whenever possible. Also, it saves having a bell when you're out and about or sat behind someone up at a trail centre.
  • ej2320
    I was between SS or Hope Pro 2 Evos with stans Arch ex

The SS has better custom options and I can have the stans, I'd love the pro 2 evos and the sound... But if I can save £100 that means better brakes
  • ej2320
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Meh. I like my hope hubs, they've got their merits, but the noise, I'm sick of it now. I've packed the everyday one on the EG out with grease to try and quieten it down. Got a separate beefy DH wheelset from the 456 still which funnily enough I use when I play DH stuff, never seem to notice it as I'm normally concentrating too much I imagine.

At least on the xc bike the clicking reminds me to keep pedalling whenever possible. Also, it saves having a bell when you're out and about or sat behind someone up at a trail centre.

Really?.. I'm running Fulcrum hubs, they've got louder but they're relatively quiet, I never thought about it being annoying before

Haha, on a trail the pro 2 evo sound is like a rattlesnake, they just move out the way
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Angry Bird wrote:

This, reminds me to keep pedalling unless I physically can't!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DT240s with the upgraded ratchet. Not the quietest I've owned, not the loudest, not the fastest engagement, but they're a superb hub. They just sound superbly made, because they are.

Not a fan of the Pro2 sound at all, just don't get the attraction some people have to something that sounds like a bag of spanners.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Not so much of a hub sound, but the Shimano XT rear cassettes gives a very satisfying metallic click to my hub. I bet that combined with a Pro 2 must be on par with the laughter of a baby...
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I used to like a loud clicker (although never owned one) until I got a XT Rear clutch mech. Now I live the absolute silence of me my bike & the trail! Would never go noisy again!
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have found the Superstar hubs pretty good. Once you bin the original bearings and fit some proper quality ones like Koyo (better than SKF, RHP, Katec etc) they are pretty much maintenance free and solid.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm a fan of the Pro II sound. I hate quiet hubs, whenever I get on a bike with a quiet freehub like the Switch hub on my rigid it just feels wrong as if something is broken. I usually panic a little when I can't hear anything when I stop pedaling until I remember I'm not using a noisy hub.

The Pro II's definitely get noisier with age so long as you don't pack them with grease regularly. The new one on my Rocky is far quieter than the one on the Marin that is nearly 2 years old now.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I had a quick play on a bike with Hope hubs, that noise would really get on my tits, lol.
  • steve45
    steve45 Posts: 2,503
    Love a nice crisp loud hub, Hopes are by far my favourite, however i remember hopes being louder in the past, i'm sure my old BigUn was a little bit louder, probably just my imagination.
  • Have bog standard formula hubs .can come up on unsuspecting dog walkers in stealth mode . Make more noise cicking through gears !
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    You get used to the noise, it feels strange when I get on my road bike which doesn't click. Also as previously said, it is brilliant for getting walkers out the way. But yep, I try to limit my freewheeling, should be pedaling anyway and not be so lazy :)
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Crossmax SLR
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    For those with quiet hubs how do you scatter the ramblers when your going full tilt down a trail?
  • capoz77
    edited August 2013
    A quick video after todays ride, Hope Pro 2, wheel built up in 2007, hub never serviced/greased etc, No play in it what so-ever and rides like new, absolutely adore the sound :D Instant trail clearer....

click...
    th_20130811_131338_zpsbee6e5b8.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    capoz77 wrote:
    For those with quiet hubs how do you scatter the ramblers when your going full tilt down a trail?

I go places where ramblers dont. Where theres ramblers theres dog sh1t.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 wrote:

I try to, but always come across people on rides, and i'm not about to fit a bell LOL :lol:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    capoz77 wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:

I try to, but always come across people on rides, and i'm not about to fit a bell LOL :lol:

This. Mine was useful at clearing a couple of walkers off of the trails up at Cannock yesterday. Cheeky buggers even told me to slow down because it was dangerous. They got told to learn to read the signs and mind their own business.
  • ej2320
    Angry Bird wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:

This. Mine was useful at clearing a couple of walkers off of the trails up at Cannock yesterday. Cheeky buggers even told me to slow down because it was dangerous. They got told to learn to read the signs and mind their own business.

Right moody buggers at Cannock. I came across two walkers on the Monkey trail who refused to move and attempted to kick my bike. After a bit of swearing I moved on.

Personally I like the loud click because I like hearing my bike working but also because I love the way people look at it, It's also easier to detect a hub issue I guess