Weapon on Bike?

2»

Comments

• bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    I remember the story on here somewhere, where a guy carried a fake hand grenade with him. On one occasion he got some serious grief from two men in a transit van (cutting him up, abuse, almost knocked off...), so he pegged it after them and caught them at a set of lights. The window of the van came down (perhaps for so the van occupants could dish some more abuse) so the chap on the bike casually lobed the grenade into the van and rode off.

By his account the ensuing chaos inside the van was hysterical.

That's a rough version of the story. Always makes me chuckle :)
    Mens agitat molem
  • macroadie wrote:
    Do any of you carry any weapons with you bikes like small pen knives etc.

Not so much a pen knife...

PanzerMC.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1157610_645000278845652_42963308_n.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ScreenShot2012-03-01at120133PM.png
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    C02 cyclinder, pen tube, ball bearing combo?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Proper debate on what to 'pack' here (dontcha just luv our american cussins?):

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/180561/h ... -equipment
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Setting aside all the funny replies, there is a serious question somewhere in the OPs post.
    In my experience , there are 2 bits of kit that can help you in social encounters of the nasty kind.
    1. Your bike. Lift it up and use it as a fence.
    2. Your steel shackle lock. Use it as a blunt instrument, pref low down.
    Both of these are perfectly legal for any cyclist to carry and perfectly legal for any cyclist to put to the purpose of self defence. They are also a lot more effective than any penknife.
    Carrying a penkife (of the swiss army knife kind) is legal but not much use in a fight. Even if you use a SAK in a fight, you may be judged to be carrying as a weapon, which is against the law. Any blade that is any use in a fight is totally illegal to carry. Anything carried for the purpose of using in a fight is illegal to carry.
    It may be hard to justify carrying a shackle lock off the bike but if your illumination requirements demand the use of a D-cell Maglite, then you can carry one. It may be harder to justify a maglite on a bright summer's morning.

Having survived a violent encounter, you still have to survive the police and your words may be all that they need to prosecute you for possession of an offensive weapon. Criminals know what to say and what not to say and so should you. Lawyer up at the earliest opportunity and remember that almost all cautions will count against you in any CRB-checked profession or activity.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    natrix wrote:
    Proper debate on what to 'pack' here (dontcha just luv our american cussins?):

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/180561/h ... -equipment

Of course the OP was from Arizona. I had guns pulled on me a few times when I lived there...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cartejo5
    cartejo5 Posts: 36
    cesco wrote:
    Not necessarily a weapon, but I do have a rocket powered ejector saddle. It was very painful once, when I forgot to clip-out first.

Guys i'm having a crap day but this quip really cracks me up........
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    MichaelW wrote:
    Having survived a violent encounter, you still have to survive the police

I've seen people do it in movies, but I don't believe I'm up for that.
  • macroadie
    macroadie Posts: 172
    MichaelW wrote:
    Setting aside all the funny replies, there is a serious question somewhere in the OPs post.
    In my experience , there are 2 bits of kit that can help you in social encounters of the nasty kind.
    1. Your bike. Lift it up and use it as a fence.
    2. Your steel shackle lock. Use it as a blunt instrument, pref low down.
    Both of these are perfectly legal for any cyclist to carry and perfectly legal for any cyclist to put to the purpose of self defence. They are also a lot more effective than any penknife.
    Carrying a penkife (of the swiss army knife kind) is legal but not much use in a fight. Even if you use a SAK in a fight, you may be judged to be carrying as a weapon, which is against the law. Any blade that is any use in a fight is totally illegal to carry. Anything carried for the purpose of using in a fight is illegal to carry.
    It may be hard to justify carrying a shackle lock off the bike but if your illumination requirements demand the use of a D-cell Maglite, then you can carry one. It may be harder to justify a maglite on a bright summer's morning.

Having survived a violent encounter, you still have to survive the police and your words may be all that they need to prosecute you for possession of an offensive weapon. Criminals know what to say and what not to say and so should you. Lawyer up at the earliest opportunity and remember that almost all cautions will count against you in any CRB-checked profession or activity.

Excellent advice!
    The other day i was stopped by a homeless guy on the bike path...luckily he only wanted soem cash so i gave him my change. The funny part is, the next day i did not carry enough food on a 45 mile ride, saw the guy and wanted to ask him for my money back but thought twice about it.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    7FD38BBF-BEF7-4078-9C02-7CCC7AA3731F-3725-0000069DB6AB7067_zps184ac0c7.jpg
    7BE86189-5E83-4970-A975-2BE2D6B46E4C-3725-0000069F8D1399E8_zpsb6e750a9.jpg
    9AA25DF2-2DBF-4C95-A47E-34F5B79DC993-3725-0000069EF79DF1B4_zps142c5fa0.jpg
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    seanoconn wrote:

Love it, you missed the belly and chelsea shirt on the van driver though.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • To the OP.....was this actually a serious question?? I have literally just wet myself laughing at this post and the pictures people have found lol
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    seanoconn wrote:

@Seanoconn, that is without doubt one of the funniest things I have ever seen. My core is getting a better workout than doing a cat 1 climb I'm laughing so much.

@natrix, that is scary! God bless America :shock:
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My body is a weapon...as I think Chuck Norris might have said. Learn some Kung Fu...

Like the above pics by the way - very good.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • macroadie
    To the OP.....was this actually a serious question?? I have literally just wet myself laughing at this post and the pictures people have found lol

====================

Well i lived in Africa where we had to carry a pen knife on your bike or be muged, kidnapped etc. now i live in Texas where we have rude drivers :)
  • macroadie
    macroadie wrote:
    The other day I was confronted by an angry driver that felt necessary to cut in front of me which caused me to break fast and curse, then he accelerated out of sight!
    Do any of you carry any weapons with you bikes like small pen knives etc. I guess this depends on where you live and if you bike in a group or not.

This reminded me of my post last year..

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=9385937
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    900x900px-LL-e3ad7d3a_sniper_bike.jpeg
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Ali G would say something like, "Ise always packin mi 8 inches, innit"

A solid 'crotch grab' in the general direction of a shoddy driver wins most arguments along the Embankment.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think it was one of the Colombian riders in the 80's who would have to go out training at home with a handgun in his jersey pocket.

As to the OP - a penknife v a car is a pretty unfair fight. Best that you realise this and avoid escalating any conflicts.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Crozza wrote:
    ScreenShot2012-03-01at120133PM.png
    Can't help being curious about what is actually going on here... Is he out hunting on his bike? Or does he live somewhere in the States where it's legal to carry something like that and feels that it's worth the hassle just to avoid drivers getting too close? You'd certainly think twice before cutting this guy up when overtaking.. ;-) Even if he lives somewhere genuinely dangerous, it has to be for intimidation/deterrent value rather than self-defence, otherwise it would be a lot easier to carry a hand gun. It's not like he's going to be offing people half a mile away just because they look like they might have it in for cyclists.. :)
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    It would make getting gels out of your back pocket a bit tricky too.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    If the courts won't protect us against motorists we must take matters into our own hands
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    neeb wrote:
    Can't help being curious about what is actually going on here... Is he out hunting on his bike? Or does he live somewhere in the States where it's legal to carry something like that and feels that it's worth the hassle just to avoid drivers getting too close? You'd certainly think twice before cutting this guy up when overtaking.. ;-) Even if he lives somewhere genuinely dangerous, it has to be for intimidation/deterrent value rather than self-defence, otherwise it would be a lot easier to carry a hand gun. It's not like he's going to be offing people half a mile away just because they look like they might have it in for cyclists.. :)
    Can't tell if you're being serious or not but I thought it was an obvious photoshop fun image
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Buckles wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    Can't tell if you're being serious or not but I thought it was an obvious photoshop fun image
    I was being serious actually - if it's a photoshopped image it's very well done. Maybe you're right though, the texture of the fabric on the back of his jersey looks a bit suspicious.
  • As I'm looking to add mass to my legs so I pull a cannon along with me. Few cannonballs in my bag. Trouble is, the driver has usually scarpered by the time it's loaded & ready to go.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    There are 350 posts of debate on 'carrying concealed' whilst mountain biking here: http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussi ... 93840.html

Some of the Americans carry some serious artillery :shock: :shock:

More here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/def ... cling.html
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~