Weapon on Bike?

macroadie
macroadie Posts: 172
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
The other day I was confronted by an angry driver that felt necessary to cut in front of me which caused me to break fast and curse, then he accelerated out of sight!
Do any of you carry any weapons with you bikes like small pen knives etc. I guess this depends on where you live and if you bike in a group or not.

Comments

• cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    1. lol

macroadie wrote:
    [...]then he accelerated out of sight! [...] small pen knives etc.
    So what were you gonna do? Throw it at him, furiously?

3. I have two guns. They can feel quite painful and heavy to carry.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    No and if you do then take a long hard look at yourself. Waving a weapon will only inflame the situation and it won't be the Bruce Lee enter the dragon scene that you think it will.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Hell, what a mad post.............
  • macroadie
    Rokt wrote:
    Hell, what a mad post.............

I know..ive also been chased by dogs
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited August 2013
    So if you did have a penknife on you, what would you have done are you seriously suggesting you would use it? or would you just willy wave it at him
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Was your break fast full English, or just a bowl of porridge? I suggest a knife and fork for the former and a spoon for the latter.
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    I usually have a pen knife with me on a ride, but I carry it as it's a useful tool not a weapon. I think that if I felt the need to be armed on a ride, I'd reconsider my choice of pastime. If I thought I needed to be armed, and also thought that carrying a penknife would satisfy that need, I'd get my head examined.
  • macroadie
    WindyG wrote:
    So if did have a penknife on you, what would you have done are you seriously suggesting you would use it? or would you just willy wave it at him

Just incase you get attacked. Have you see the story of a cyclist murdered in London. I'm not suggesting violence btw:
  • macroadie
    WindyG wrote:
    So if you did have a penknife on you, what would you have done are you seriously suggesting you would use it? or would you just willy wave it at him

I'm not suggesting any violence.

The other day I saw two coyotes on my bike path and was wondering if they would attack me if I had a flat.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    macroadie wrote:
    WindyG wrote:
    So if did have a penknife on you, what would you have done are you seriously suggesting you would use it? or would you just willy wave it at him

Just incase you get attacked. Have you see the story of a cyclist murdered in London. I'm not suggesting violence btw:

Quite a leap from using this penknife against a driver who cut you up to protecting yourself from the cyclist-murderer who is wandering the streets of London.

Too scared to leave the house now.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Errrrrrrr.....okay :shock:

Why stop with a penknife? You might want to go full Knight Industries Two Thousand mode and retro fit some gun turrets on your steed.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've got carbon throwing stars. Went for the slightly bigger size for aero advantage.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    This has to be a joke, right ???
  • cesco
    Not necessarily a weapon, but I do have a rocket powered ejector saddle. It was very painful once, when I forgot to clip-out first.
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    I've used my pump on a dog before and battered it down to the ground so it couldn't get up - shouldn't have been trying to bite me!
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Carrying an offensive weapon is against the law.

Most knife carrying youths claim the old 'self defence' argument, which doesn't stand up in court. What would you do if the driver stopped, got out and came towards you? Stab them? You need to listen to yourself.

You should seriously reconsider what you are asking/ advocating.

PP
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    macroadie wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

I'm not suggesting any violence.

The other day I saw two coyotes on my bike path and was wondering if they would attack me if I had a flat.

Dude, coyotes are way more scared of you than you are of them. 20+ years of trekking through Arizona desert and I've never had an issue. In fact I see them on my folks property all the time.

The fact that you're even considering being armed is a huge problem. Violence simply begets more violence and the if you have access to a weapon you may actually use it. Do what I do, kill them with kindness. Nothing better than a smile and a wave when someone does something stupid or shouts abuse.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Gun turrets, ejecto saddle, oil slick machine on the stays....I want all these things on my bike, NOW!

But seriously, a pocket knife? You could do so much better. What about a telescopic baton strapped to your seat tube like a mini pump? Or Quick release jockey wheels sharpened into ninja death stars.

Use your imagination...The list of offensive weapons you could carry is endless, plenty ways to get yourself arrested, and sectioned.

Have fun!
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I think he lives in Texas, so he can have one of these:
    bike-gun-rack.jpg

'murca.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • The only weapon on my bike is me :-)
  • macroadie
    Grill wrote:
    bike-gun-rack.jpg

'murca.

Yeah buddy! that's exactly what I need..lol I bet you no one would notice
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    macroadie wrote:
    The other day I was confronted by an angry driver that felt necessary to cut in front of me which caused me to break fast and curse, then he accelerated out of sight!
    Do any of you carry any weapons with you bikes like small pen knives etc. I guess this depends on where you live and if you bike in a group or not.

Getting caught with a weapon is an offence. You're a tool if you do.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    My mate used to get chased by a big alsation every morning that had an irrational hatred of cyclists.

He resorted to carrying a piece of rubber hose with nails sticking out the end to whack it with every morning, it worked.
  • Throw a bit of Soreen at them
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Rigga wrote:
    My mate used to get chased by a big alsation every morning that had an irrational hatred of cyclists.

He resorted to carrying a piece of rubber hose with nails sticking out the end to whack it with every morning, it worked.
    That's not fair he should have used it on the stupid owner.
  • cesco
    I would like to fit some blades to my axles, Ben Hur style. However, some advice is required:
    - Having them rotate would be ideal; but obviously the axles on bikes don't. Any work arounds?
    - Should I go for reliability and more importantly: weight AKA steel? Or can carbon be made sharp enough these days? Also, has anyone ever ordered Chinese carbon parts for this?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    cesco wrote:
    I would like to fit some blades to my axles, Ben Hur style. However, some advice is required:
    - Having them rotate would be ideal; but obviously the axles on bikes don't. Any work arounds?
    - Should I go for reliability and more importantly: weight AKA steel? Or can carbon be made sharp enough these days? Also, has anyone ever ordered Chinese carbon parts for this?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Avoid titanium, doesn't keep it's edge as good as steel :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The Kimber PepperBlaster, I think you can even get a custom Rapha pouch to hold one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abIz1KZOOzg
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I always carry my light sabre as it packs away neatly into a jersey pocket, the look of surprise when the assailant thinks your going to throw a banana at him is priceless when the sabre hums into action.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Grill wrote:
    bike-gun-rack.jpg

'murca.
    I'd love to see that go off by accident when he was riding and completely take out the rear wheel...