Vittoria Pave Open Clinchers, which ones?

2»

Comments

• They give a very plush and luxurious ride, as long as you heed the warnings about flint and glass. Oh, and if your frame has sufficient clearance for them with mudguards…..
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I've been riding and racing (winter crits) on the tub version for the last couple of months and while I don't expect them to last long (wear if nothing else) they've survived well in and around London so far.

I would take the GP4000S clinchers out on particularly filthy days though, flint will get me at some point this winter I'm sure...
  • skylark
    skylark Posts: 445
    The characteristic green of the Vittoria Paves makes them stand out as a Classic above all the rest. Of-course it matters what the tyres look like. That green will match any bike, even if your bike does not have a shod of green in the paint work. The roundness feel of Vittoria you can tell the difference with a good tyre.

So what you get with the Paves is a very fast rolling tyre. Think Vittoria slippery. Light weight and of-course a very plush ride quality. The tyres remain round and there is no squaring like with Continentals. Continental GP are definitely much more durable though. And indeed the Continentals are far more confidence inspiring when taking corners aggressively. The Vittorias much less so. What makes the Vittoria fast is also what makes them excruciatingly precarious when taking corners or in the wet.

Even on conservative rides I found the Paves to cut up very easily. Therefore this is a tyre which is meant to be used with a butyl tube rather than a latex one. Otherwise each time you have to mend the tyre from the inside when you do get cuts which can be quite often. However when combined with a latex tube this tyre shines like no other in the ride quality and hysteresis department.

The Pave is an off-season tyre and the Corsa is a summer tyre.

If you are riding on proper open roads then these tyres are more than durable. But given with the habit of British Clubs riding along back roads and country lanes which are often strewn with debris and flints, the Vittoria is completely the wrong tyre for these applications.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I agree with the corsa being a summer tyre. Paves do cut up but that is different from puncturing. Grip on Paves is superior to 4 seasons but 4 seasons are cheaper. Given the local club rides on flint strewn roads even the 4 seasons don't last too long. Gator skin hardshells are the only thing that last really well. Shame they feel terrible - charachter building though. I use all of these tyres on different wheels and switch between wheels and bikes and therefore tyres depending on the road conditions.

Latex tubes and vittoria tyres do go well together. SInce my earlier post I have run a set of Open Corsa's until the rear wore out and only had one flat so now I prefer Open corsa's to GP4000s but I really like both.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    PX has open corsa £10 but they are only 20mm width, do 20mm ones equal alot harsher ride than 23mm or are they still smooth due to the high tpi?
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    PX has open corsa £10 but they are only 20mm width, do 20mm ones equal alot harsher ride than 23mm or are they still smooth due to the high tpi?

Avoid them... they need really high running pressure and get easily destroyed on the road and you might die as a consequence
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just swapped out the Paves for Michelin Service Course Pro4s...don't think I'll be using the Paves again, prefer the ride of the Michelins for all round use.

The Paves have actually lasted quite well, an early puncture was just bad lucked it seems, but they wear fast. Ride is quite comfy but I think the "stickiness" of the tyre makes it slower, hard to tell. Just liked the way the Pro4s rolled today.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    drlodge wrote:
    Just swapped out the Paves for Michelin Service Course Pro4s...don't think I'll be using the Paves again, prefer the ride of the Michelins for all round use.

The Paves have actually lasted quite well, an early puncture was just bad lucked it seems, but they wear fast. Ride is quite comfy but I think the "stickiness" of the tyre makes it slower, hard to tell. Just liked the way the Pro4s rolled today.

I'm sure they are slightly slower than some tyres. I simply couldn't match my Volagi segment times with the Foil until I swapped from Paves to Rubino Pros.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH