Vittoria Pave Open Clinchers, which ones?

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Am thinking of replacing my GP4000S tyres, they've done 2300 miles and its always good to have replacement tyres in stock even if I don't fit them now. The Vittoria Pave Open Clinchers get good reviews, but I see two versions:
- Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG Clincher Tyre £38.49 at wiggle, £32.58 at shiny bikes, single green central band
- Vittoria Pave CG Open Clincher Road Tyre £43.06 at wiggle, twin green bands

I think those here who are using them are using the cheaper version, what's the benefit of the more expensive version and which are you using? Looking for a steer as to whether its worth paying more, or just get the Evos.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Any particular reason for the Paves? I've recently moved from GP4000S' to Open Corsa Evo CX IIs which should be lighter/faster, come in a variety of colours and can be picked up for £25 instead of £35.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I've been experimenting with Open Pave Evo CG this season - looking for a little extra pace over my beloved 4-Seasons.

They are okay as a tyre - very comfortable ride, decent grip and fast. Only last a few months (4-5000km). Way less resistant to flats than 4-Seasons. Cut up very easily.

Experiment over - it was fun whilst it lasted, but I shall go back to old faithful 4-Seasons now.
  • drlodge
    Mr Will wrote:
    Any particular reason for the Paves? I've recently moved from GP4000S' to Open Corsa Evo CX IIs which should be lighter/faster, come in a variety of colours and can be picked up for £25 instead of £35.

Funny you should ask that, since I have the Corsa Evo CX II tubs on my new wheels, wondered if I should put the clincher equivalents on my other hoops and it was suggested I look at the Paves. :?

So - may be the question I should be asking is...do I replace the GP4000S with the same tyre, or go for the Paves, Corsa EVO CXII or something else. I want a fast tyre 23c or 24c (frame will struggle with 25c), some puncture resistance and reasonable mileage
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I use the open pave as a winter tyre, only ever had one flat and seem to last ok so far. The 4 seasons which I tried were a fair bit slower and lasted a few rides before the rear split.

OP, you can find your answer in the Wiggle Q and As.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I think I found the Paves to roll better than the 4-Seasons. Hard to say as I haven't ridden on 4-seasons since about feb.

This test claims lower rolling resistance on the 4-Season though.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... _02_11.pdf
  • drlodge
    I'm now leaning back to the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, wiggle have them for £25 each and they appear to be the CX IIs. Will see how the tubs ride I think, these tyres are going to be very similar.
    Find me on Strava
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    drlodge wrote:
    Mr Will wrote:

Funny you should ask that, since I have the Corsa Evo CX II tubs on my new wheels, wondered if I should put the clincher equivalents on my other hoops and it was suggested I look at the Paves. :?

So - may be the question I should be asking is...do I replace the GP4000S with the same tyre, or go for the Paves, Corsa EVO CXII or something else. I want a fast tyre 23c or 24c (frame will struggle with 25c), some puncture resistance and reasonable mileage

Hmmm... Corsas are probably not the right option if these are not your best wheels then. Never tried the Paves so can't comment on longevity or puncture resistance. All I know is that the Corsa is not supposed to be very good for either. Ride nice though!
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • drlodge
    OK...the Corsas are £25, the Pave £33. Do I pay more for better protection and longevity, or a bit less for superior ride in the knowledge they don't have to last as long cos they're cheaper.

Come on someone, tell me what to do! May be the Pave...since I now have some "best" wheels and these are for when its winter but still nice (otherwise the hack comes out).
    Find me on Strava
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Central green stripe is the version from last year so are cheaper because they're clearance stock. Great tyres though.

Two green stripes either side of the central band is this years version.
  • drlodge
    Central green stripe is the version from last year so are cheaper because they're clearance stock. Great tyres though.

Two green stripes either side of the central band is this years version.

Thanks! I'm erring towards the older paves now. I have carbon/Corsa EVO tubs for best, so paves seem like a good option for the clinchers.
    Find me on Strava
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have been running evo cx on my clincher rims for about 1000 miles and so far so good in the 'unintentional and sudden flat' stakes.

They do not seem as fragile as the masses suggest.

If I now get a visit from the 'you know what' fairy I will blame you :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    marcusjb wrote:
    I think I found the Paves to roll better than the 4-Seasons. Hard to say as I haven't ridden on 4-seasons since about feb.

This test claims lower rolling resistance on the 4-Season though.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... _02_11.pdf

I found 4Seasons to be like riding on hose pipes compared to Open Paves, there is just no comparison.

I've just taken 4seasons off my Ti frame and swapped them for Schwalbe Durano and seen a massive improvement in comfort and speed.

Similarly I've just taken Open Paves off my Scott and replaced them with 25mm Open Corsas. To be honest I'd struggle to tell the difference between them without seeing that one had a green stripe.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • antfly
    If they are for winter then definitely get the paves, that's what they are for, the corsa are more of a summer race tyre, I think.

The new paves are supposed to be wider, by the way, 25mm instead of 24mm.
  • drlodge
    OK I'm settled on the "older" Paves, £32.99 from Merlin unless I can find a better price.
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:
    OK I'm settled on the "older" Paves, £32.99 from Merlin unless I can find a better price.

Ribble have the newer Paves for £35.19!!
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Ribble have the newer Paves for £35.19!!

No they don't, they're out of stock, and I keep having to remind myself the newer paves are 25c which will be a squeeze...older 24c it is.
    Find me on Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wouldn't recommend the Pave's for southern counties - they'll get shredded by flints IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drlodge
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Wouldn't recommend the Pave's for southern counties - they'll get shredded by flints IME.

So what would you recommend? I've had no issues with the GP4000S and if flints are a real problem I'm sure gonna have fun with my Corsa EVO CX II tubulars :o
    Find me on Strava
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Look everyone has different experiences with tyres. My first outing with 4 seasons I hit something which destoyed the front tyre not the tyres fault though, Since then they have been faultless. My experience with GP4000s has been excellent. I am using Pave tubs on another bike but have had less miles on them.

Sample enough people and you will find bad experiences on everything. Most have really good experiences with GP4000s tyres and for a balance of grip and puncture resistance there is no better tyre in my mind. Others may disagree and that's fine as everyone has different experiences. If you like what you have and they serve you well why change.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • drlodge
    Look everyone has different experiences with tyres. My first outing with 4 seasons I hit something which destoyed the front tyre not the tyres fault though, Since then they have been faultless. My experience with GP4000s has been excellent. I am using Pave tubs on another bike but have had less miles on them.

Sample enough people and you will find bad experiences on everything. Most have really good experiences with GP4000s tyres and for a balance of grip and puncture resistance there is no better tyre in my mind. Others may disagree and that's fine as everyone has different experiences. If you like what you have and they serve you well why change.

With you there. I've never been troubled by flints since the roads I cycle on are clean and therefore the Paves should be fine.
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    2 x Paves 24c ordered, received and fitted - £32.95 each from Merlin. They look pretty cool with that green stripe actually, looks kinda weird against the monochrome white/black/silvers of my Rourke. Gonna try them out tonight/tomorrow morning. Very similar look and feel to the Corsa tubulars and a little tricky to fit initially with the delicate Supersonic inner tubes, since the tyres are packed flat and want to stay that way.

I don't mind if they don't last that long, as long as the feel is superior, and I don't get punctures too often.

9509636614_baf246f498_o.jpg
    Find me on Strava
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    does it actually matter what they look like? as long as they perform, yes?
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    Of COURSE it matters what they look like :mrgreen:

I've been using a pair of last years Pave (i.e. the stripe down the middle) for around 700 miles on my CAAD 10 and they have been really quite nice, very comfy and good grip. I've not had a puncture with them despite having ridden on some pretty dodgy roads and I've picked out some pretty nasty little flints that you might have thought would cut through but were stopped by the protection, no real signs of wear yet either (although the rubber cuts easier than some).

I got mine from here for £69 the pair with two free Michelin tubes:

http://www.cyclingbargains.com/product_ ... 59a94a5375

Another bonus is that as I can't make up my mind about the 23 vs 25mm debate, being 24mm leaves me feeling happy :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    drlodge wrote:
    2 x Paves 24c ordered, received and fitted - £32.95 each from Merlin. They look pretty cool with that green stripe actually, looks kinda weird against the monochrome white/black/silvers of my Rourke. Gonna try them out tonight/tomorrow morning. Very similar look and feel to the Corsa tubulars and a little tricky to fit initially with the delicate Supersonic inner tubes, since the tyres are packed flat and want to stay that way.

I don't mind if they don't last that long, as long as the feel is superior, and I don't get punctures too often.

9509636614_baf246f498_o.jpg

Jeeez, there are more spokes in this photo than the average BR Forum use will ever own in his life... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    Functionality is certainly the primary factor, but if they look good to then its a bonus!

Ugo - I'm not a fan of minimal spoke wheels, I think those 4 bikes are 32, 32, 36 and 28/650c :o

Just ridden the Paves to my girlfriends, they're fab! Smooth and buttery like the Corsa tubulars, I can feel the wheel is a little more flexible but they give a wonderfully smooth ride and pumped up to around 110-120psi, make the bike float on air. Definitely just the job to replace the Conti GP4000S.
    Find me on Strava
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Thinking of getting paves but them seem either out of stock or jumped up in price in the popular online shops

http://www.blingbikekit.com/vittoria-op ... rrency=GBP

Anyone bought from here before they its a women bike shop & not have any review feedback on google

27c open pave seems a good winter tyre
  • drlodge
    I wouldn't touch them for winter use with a barge pole, they cut up way too easily. Conti GP4000S have served me well all year round.
    Find me on Strava
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Someone on here told me recently that they are basically a Flanders type race tyre which may make sense. I tried them a couple of years back for general use and found them far too soft, prone to severe cutting and frequent visits from the p*ncture fairies. I won't have them again. For winter riding I'm likely to stick with Conti 4 Seasons which are a slightly hardier version of the GP4000s.

Other people rate them very highly (it was on the back of rave reviews on here that I bought them in the first instance!), so they may be for you, but I really don't get the price level they are pitched at. Especially when I find other tyres better suited to my needs.

Peter

Peter
  • Pave' have more grip and more volume than the equivalent Vitoria summer race tyres (CX and SC). Puncture protection is average and as they are soft and grippy they also cut easily. They are a luxurious winter tyre for those who can ride on flint and glass free roads. They are not a city or commuting type of tyre
    left the forum March 2023
  • antfly
    I had no problems with mine all winter last year and they are still going strong {not commuting} but I just had to throw a fairly new GP4000s away with a hole in it and a 4 season lasted only a couple of rides before the sidewall split.. luck has a lot to do with it when it comes to tyres.