2»

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Hard Knott?

This: http://youtu.be/kzNfufUHh9Q

best vid I've seen of getting up it.

Great video, brings all the pain back.

Actually, not quite, it's sunny on that video!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Just wish he could have stopped that bloomin annoying rattling.

And those gear changes - geeesss, its a wonder he got up at all.

Now I really do not want to try it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree on keeping hands on the drops for braking - half-way down I wound in my brake adjusters such that I didn't have my hands at full stretch to reach the levers too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Another who agrees about descending on the drops. The road surfaces are very bumpy and your hands won't be as secure on the hoods. And don't be tempted to let the speed build up at any point, I did once and it resulted in panic braking to make the next hairpin.

I did it from the East, so the harder side of Wrynose and the easier side of Hardknott, using a 34x26, but wish I'd stuck the 28t on the back. Had a brief rest near the top of Wrynose as I was on the verge of being sick, those climbs are definitely in a different league to Jeffrey Hill. Would recommend doing them early in the morning to avoid the traffic.

Good luck.
  • Cycler00
    Cycler00 Posts: 12
    Cheers for all the advice. I'll be on the drops, one foot unclipped and will take it nice and steady on the descent. As for the climb....if I make it to the top without walking, I'll be happy. I've had some advice of a guy who will be doing the Lakeland Loop with us tomorrow (he just happens to be a Bowland Badass) and he's just said "stop as often as you need to". It's not a race ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The thing I find is to just find a pace that works and don't be tempted to shift up when it flattens out too soon. You need to give your legs a few seconds to recover so spinning more easily for a short while helps.

Of course, up Hardknott.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    nochekmate wrote:
    long 2 miles or so of 12-14% which felt vaguely like an Alpine climb

Two miles of 12% plus??? I can barely imagine that! I rode this http://www.strava.com/segments/1722677 yesterday, which is 12% for .3 of a mile, and I was gasping for breath and struggling to turn the cranks in my lowest gear (39/26, managing about 35rpm). It wasn't as bad as http://www.strava.com/segments/1240437 though, the first half mile averages 10% and is bloody tough in it's own right, and the last half mile averages just over 13%, hitting around 30% in places. I'll admit to pushing up that last bit!
  • Cycler00
    Well, Hardknott won! I got off very early in to the climb and started walking. Got back on the bike and went as far as I could before my legs gave out. I had nothing to give! I had to stop and walk a bit on Wrynose, something which I'd been told countless times wouldn't be a problem for me.

I bailed on the descents and walked down most of them.

I'll do the ride again next year, but I'll do a hell of a lot of training and I'll get those extra gears. I don't think they would've got me to the top, but they would've helped. :)
  • Well at least you're honest! If it's any consolation, I'm certain I would have found it equally as challenging. I reckon about 20% is pretty much my limit for any decent stretch.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Cycler00 wrote:
    I'm 11st 11lbs at the mo. A lot of the guys I cycle with have said I'm a strong cyclist and that I'm a decent hill climber. Idl don't have much trouble keeping up with the lads in my group.

Just so I'm clear- 11 stone 11lbs is "chubby"? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you a person of restricted growth?

Not sure how anyone over 4 ft 11 at that weight could be described as "chubby"

I am 5 ft 11 and 4 stone heavier than that and wouldn't describe myself as chubby.....
  • Cycler00
    I'm one of the bigger ladies in my group.;)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Cycler00 wrote:
    I'm one of the bigger ladies in my group.;)

Thanks for clarification, although even so I suspect you are being a little self-deprecating.

My wife varies between 10.5 and 12 stone depending on the season and still leaves me up hills.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all.

The 2 climbs along with the descents make for some of the hardest few miles in the UK, and will be a real challenge for almost everyone, especially on doubles or compacts.

Sounds like you have a great goal for training for next year now.
  • Cycler00
    marcusjb wrote:
    Better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all.

The 2 climbs along with the descents make for some of the hardest few miles in the UK, and will be a real challenge for almost everyone, especially on doubles or compacts.

Sounds like you have a great goal for training for next year now.

Thanks for that :). Yep, I was pretty tired once we'd reached Hardknott (55 miles in the legs with some pretty good hill climbs). The guy I was cycling with was kind enough to remind me that I was taking part in one of the hardest cycling sportives in the UK, so that made me feel better. He did the ride last year and walked Hardknott, so this year he was pretty determined and I reckon I'll be the same next year.

Carrock - you're probably right. My big old beefy thighs do the trick and get me up most hills with out a problem. Yesterday I got myself in a tizz and had already convinced myself that I was going to be walking Hardknott. With that kind of attitude, I didn't really stand a chance.

Got some coaching sessions coming up, so onwards and upwards (upwards being the operative word) :)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Tackled another tough one today down in Somerset at the in-laws.

Took the road from Elworthy up to Raleigh's Cross. Unrelenting climb with no real flat sections to offer any respite. My son and I both agreed that we found it harder than Wrynose from the west.