One chubby cyclists taking on Hardknott and Wrynose

Cycler00
Cycler00 Posts: 12
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

As the subject line states, I'm a fairly chubby cyclist who will be taking on Hardknott and Wrynose on Sunday. Despite my chubbiness, I'm reasonably fit and I'm not too bad on hill climbs. I'm not speedy, but I haven't had to stop or walk up any climbs I've done to date, including Leith Hill, Box Hill, Jubilee Tower, Jeffrey Hill and Lythe Fell.

My steed is a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with FSA chainset and Sora gears. I've already been told that I'm an idiot for taking it on without a triple ring set. But, it's too late for me to do anything about it now.

Here's my question - has anyone tackled it with a similar set up and do you have any helpful tips that will get me to the top? I've already decided that I will feel no shame if I have to get off and walk up (and down) HK and Wrynose....it just means I'll have to go back and try it again next year!

Cheers!

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Good luck, if I was a fat knacker I'd be more worried about descending Wrynose in the wet (meant ot rain Sunday). Take it easy!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    What cassette are you using?
  • I did Winlatter pass last week with a 34 x 25 and it was jolly hard work my lungs and heart nearly exploded! I would definitely look at getting a 28t on the back at least! Hardknott is supposed to be a beast.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I was cycling in that area only last week and my son and I rode up Wrynose (from Hardknott side). We were not looking to set any speed records on the ride but just aiming to top the climb.

http://www.strava.com/activities/71871413

In truth, Wrynose is not too bad until the last 200 yards or so when you approach from Hardknott side. I used a compact 50/34T combined with a 12/25T cassette and my son, who is obviously younger, lighter and fitter managed it on a 53/39T coupled with a 12/25T. We both agreed that it was not too bad at all when we arrived at the top (he got there first :( )

Wrynose is much harder coming the other way from Ambleside towards Hardknott as the steep gradients last for much longer and there is little chance of a rest on the way to the top.

My son and I didn't even bother with Hardknott - we've walked up it (from Wrynose side) without bikes and both agree that we didn't fancy tackling it on our bikes - it really is unreletingly steep (not seen it from Eskdale side so don't know which way is worse).

I would point out that we are both reasonably strong club cyclists however. For your info I currently weigh 13 stones and my son about 10 stones.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    nochekmate wrote:
    I would point out that we are both reasonably strong club cyclists however.

I would say you are a strong cyclist. I am not sure i would make it without a 28.

Op if you can fit a 28 cassette it may be worth it. If you can get up without needing to use the 28 tooth all the good, but it is better to have it just in case IMO.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate
    smidsy wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:
    I would point out that we are both reasonably strong club cyclists however.

I would say you are a strong cyclist.

I'm flattered Smidsy! Strong for a 50 year old perhaps but regular club runs see me battered by younger, fitter guys!

I wouldn't fancy Hardknott too much even with a 28 cassette - it looks bloody hard!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    nochekmate wrote:
    I wouldn't fancy Hardknott too much even with a 28 cassette - it looks bloody hard!

Me either, but I would not even attempt it without a 28.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I did the coast to coast in a day sportive recently which goes over the Hardknott and Wrynose on a compact (50/34) with a 27 on the back. I'm fairly fit but could hardly keep the bike moving towards the top of the Hardknott. The descent was then scary (I was going at 12-15mph for most of it with the hairpins, 20% slopes, gravel, potholes and film of water running over some of the corners). Wrynose was easy after the Hardknott (not to say it isn't a tough climb in it's own right-it just felt easy after the Hardknott).

For going up the Hardknott the first section at about 25% feels ok then there's a section at about 10% that provides a chance to rest (you read that right, 10% counts as a rest) before it kicks up again with a section of 25% going into 33%. This section you need to decide if you will walk or pedal at the bottom. Some people made the mistake of trying to pedal it: when they discovered they couldn't make it they fell over half way up. If you come to a halt on that kind of gradient you're falling over: not putting a foot down and getting off gracefully.

Out of interest I did some quick calcs, can't remember the exact results but for my gearing to go at just under 4 mph up a 30% slope required something like 500W while pedalling at 40rpm pushing down on the pedals with 1.3 times my own body weight.
  • Cycler00
    50/34 FSA Vero. 110mm bcd. I've got 18 gears to play with.
    if it's raining on Sunday I'll walk up and down, not risking an injury!
  • nochekmate
    Cycler00 wrote:
    50/34 FSA Vero. 110mm bcd. I've got 18 gears to play with.
    if it's raining on Sunday I'll walk up and down, not risking an injury!

Well you have a compact chainset so that's a good start. The number of gears is not the issue it's the available ratios that will be important ie. what's your lowest gear?

Oh and without getting too personal how 'chubby' is 'chubby' - weight v power is a major issue on such climbs!
  • gixer5
    gixer5 Posts: 38
    I rode Handknott and Wrynose at the beginning of June with a 34/50 Chainset and 12 - 27 cassette without any problems. The worst things are the cars coming up and down, which doesn't always leave you a lot of room. The best bit of advice that I was given beforehand was to be very careful on the descent from Hardknott as the road surface is terrible / non existent in places!!!!

Good luck
  • gixer5 wrote:
    I rode Handknott and Wrynose at the beginning of June with a 34/50 Chainset and 12 - 27 cassette without any problems. The worst things are the cars coming up and down, which doesn't always leave you a lot of room. The best bit of advice that I was given beforehand was to be very careful on the descent from Hardknott as the road surface is terrible / non existent in places!!!!

Good luck

Seconded re. the cars. My advice is if any come up behind you on the ascent get to a passing point on a flattish (very relative term in this case) and let them through. On the descents if anything comes towards you find somewhere sensible to stop and let it through, nothing will be overtaking you if you ride down.

As a quick warning most people won't get up it without any problems

On the other hand it's a great climb in a fantastic setting and extremely satisfying to get to the top of only let down by the descent. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • Cycler00
    I'm 11st 11lbs at the mo. A lot of the guys I cycle with have said I'm a strong cyclist and that I'm a decent hill climber. Idl don't have much trouble keeping up with the lads in my group.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Superb set of climbs - but just to echo others, be very careful on the descents - especially the one between Hardknott and Wrynose. Exceptionally difficult descents with a very, very rutted surface, lots of water, very steep and very twisty.

Coming down is harder than going up!

Hardknott is just immense - very challenging indeed. Wrynose starts a little gentler and feels a lot more straight-forward, but then it kicks up for the last section.

Two truly classic climbs.
  • Cycler00
    I think going down is making me more nervous than going up. I'll go as slow as I can with one foot unzipped. I'll walk down if I have to :/
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Well if you think Box Hill and Leith Hill are hills - well dont make the mistake of thinking Hardknott and Whinlatter are also hills. They are vertical walls in comparison. Frankly having ridden Box Hill many years ago - its almost flat in comparison.

Trust me - you WILL struggle for sure. Enjoy it though - it will hurt mind!! :)
  • Cycler00
    oh, Box hill was like a recovery during the London 100. I felt short changed once I realised I was at the top, lol.
    Believe me, I am under no illusion about how hard these climbs are going to be. Normally I would be very annoyed with myself if I had to stop on a hill climb, walking up a hill never enters my mind, but I'll give myself break if I have to get off and walk (and then I'll go away and train super hard and do it again) :)
  • marcusjb
    Cycler00 wrote:
    I think going down is making me more nervous than going up. I'll go as slow as I can with one foot unzipped. I'll walk down if I have to :/

You just have to keep on the brakes, keep your weight back - don't let off the brakes for too long, you will gain speed very, very quickly and these are not descents you want to have much speed on. A mate took a nasty tumble on the descent between the two passes on a ride this year. Very easily done.

One thing to also look out for if it is wet, is oil. I decided to walk one hairpin on Hardknott when I saw a motorcycle nearly lose it on the way down - the whole corner was awash with oil and I really wouldn't have fancied it coming down, even going up I didn't want to test out the traction too much.
  • marcusjb
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZWD7T1HuM

Forward to around 11:50 to see a mate, Ian tackling it - we'd got 500km in our legs by this point, so he does make it look pretty easy considering.

My ascent will have been very much less elegant!
  • nochekmate
    Is one way for Hardknott any easier than the other?

There is a distinct difference in the two ascents of Wrynose in my experience - as stated earlier.

Also enjoyed riding over Birker Fell from the Duddon Valley which was 25% gradient for a fair distance. Super descent into Eskdale then rode back up again - long 2 miles or so of 12-14% which felt vaguely like an Alpine climb
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Is one way for Hardknott any easier than the other?

There is a distinct difference in the two ascents of Wrynose in my experience - as stated earlier.

Also enjoyed riding over Birker Fell from the Duddon Valley which was 25% gradient for a fair distance. Super descent into Eskdale then rode back up again - long 2 miles or so of 12-14% which felt vaguely like an Alpine climb

I haven't climb the Hardknott from the east but from descending it the road on that side is in far worse condition than the western side so I'd rather go up the west side which seems to be the normal way round. The Eastern side does involve about 100m less ascent though but I'd still rather go down that way and up the west unlike the Wrynose where it seems the amount of ascent is the deciding factor as to which side is the hardest.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hardknott has a reputation for a reason - it's a challenge for any cyclist trying to maintain momentum over the cattle grid in the rain for a start. Trouble is you can't see the really nasty bits from the bottom either. First time I rode up I was on 39x23 and very fit and it felt like my legs would be ripped-off and I needed to use plenty of upper-body strength just to maintain momentum. There's no comparison to the Surrey Hills - I'd happily ride up Leith Hill multiple times on a fixed gear. You'll likely get up on 34x28 but don't expect to sit down and twiddle - you'll be out the saddle and pulling on the bars. The eastern descent is horrible too - nowhere to let the bike run and the tarmac is badly rutted so you have to stay on the brakes.
    I used to visit the area regularly, one route being starting at Broughton, up Dunnerdale, across to Eskdale, up Hardknott, descend Wrynose and then go around the Langdales, back up Wrynose and then enjoy the descent back down Dunnerdale.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Cycler00 wrote:
    Hi,

As the subject line states, I'm a fairly chubby cyclist who will be taking on Hardknott and Wrynose on Sunday. Despite my chubbiness, I'm reasonably fit and I'm not too bad on hill climbs. I'm not speedy, but I haven't had to stop or walk up any climbs I've done to date, including Leith Hill, Box Hill, Jubilee Tower, Jeffrey Hill and Lythe Fell.

My steed is a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with FSA chainset and Sora gears. I've already been told that I'm an idiot for taking it on without a triple ring set. But, it's too late for me to do anything about it now.

Here's my question - has anyone tackled it with a similar set up and do you have any helpful tips that will get me to the top? I've already decided that I will feel no shame if I have to get off and walk up (and down) HK and Wrynose....it just means I'll have to go back and try it again next year!

Cheers!
    Jeffrey Hill is a sod and super steep in a couple of parts I walked a very short section I am ashamed to say. I reckon if you are coping ok with that sort of climb then you won't be far off coping with anything in the UK. 28t cog on the back would be perfect in case you need a bail out. I used 13-29 on Le terrier and I was glad I had it in a couple of areas.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Jeffrey Hill from memory is about 20% for a kilometre, which is pretty fierce and enough to get most chewing their bar tape - in comparison, Hardknott is twice the length and varies between 10% and 30%. The steepest part is in the second half - also because the road is narrow, avoid riding at busy times as you'll get held-up by traffic
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Not done it myself but when looking at the view at Honister mine we did applaud the cyclists at the top.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hard Knott?

This: http://youtu.be/kzNfufUHh9Q

best vid I've seen of getting up it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cycler00
    Cheers for all the tips and advice. I've stopped breaking in to a cold sweat when I think about it and I now just go in to a mild panic. :)
    I'm not much good on the going down hills bit and will normally stay on the brakes anyway. I've been getting up the confidence to get on the drops when going down hill, but from what you guys are saying it sounds like I'm better staying on the hoods and putting all my weigh to the back of the bike?

Watching the videos has watching the videos has helped me get an idea of what I'm up against. seeing people, fairly fit people, get off and walk is pretty good too. I won't feel as bad if I have to walk/crawl to the top :)
  • Personally I prefer being on the drops going downhill as I feel I get more power and feel on the brakes then from the hoods but if you feel more comfortable on the hoods and can get full braking power from them I'd stick with that.
  • nochekmate
    Staying on the hoods descending these hills sometimes makes it difficult to achieve sufficient braking power and thus braking from the drops is required instead is my experience (on Wrynose at least.)
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Let us know how you get on. This tubby cyclist was beaten by the Devil's Staircase in Wales in May which is about 25% - I think I need a *lot* more practice before I take on that beast. Hats off for giving it a go.