Tour of Utah *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Looks like the lovely Tour Tracker is going to be up and running for whole stages.
First stage already under way and live, with commentary:
http://tourtracker.tourofutah.com/
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edit: nevermind. loaded now.
  • Just found out that it's already on some Eurosports. Started at 9pm.
    Quigley not Kirby
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Just found out that it's already on some Eurosports. Started at 9pm.
    Quigley not Kirby

I'm getting tennis on ES2 :(
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    BMC with yet another brilliant win.
  • Turfle
    Looked liked GVA
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    ThomThom wrote:
    BMC with yet another brilliant win.

Any confirmation on who it was yet? GvA?

Good to see Ted King back in action.

Edit - confirmed as GvA
  • Turfle
    That was some sketchy coverage! Tour Tracker took a step back this year - at least from my experience.
  • Turfle wrote:
    That was some sketchy coverage! Tour Tracker took a step back this year - at least from my experience.
    British Eurosport only managed to show the finishing circuit, recorded, as the tennis ran until 23-25.
    If anyone was wondering why instead of showing it on ES 1, which had repeats, they had it scheduled as "live", after tennis that was never going to finish by 10pm, there is your answer.
    Eurosport 2 International had 2 hours "live", during which Quigley and Gibb talked endlessly over the same loop of Cedar City. Things improved a little when they finally put a helicopter up.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I gave up on waiting for Eurosport as soon as I saw the score in the tennis, so switched to the Tour Tracker App, which gave me about 5 minutes of video in the last 40km of the stage. Absolutely useless, although thankfully it was a pretty average stage anyway. Hopefully the rest of the race will be more interesting and British Eurosport actually show some live coverage.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    squired wrote:
    I gave up on waiting for Eurosport as soon as I saw the score in the tennis, so switched to the Tour Tracker App, which gave me about 5 minutes of video in the last 40km of the stage. Absolutely useless, although thankfully it was a pretty average stage anyway. Hopefully the rest of the race will be more interesting and British Eurosport actually show some live coverage.
    Play it again sam, as it's women's tennis again. Tick Tock Tick Tock Out, sort of thing. yawn.
    Stage 2
    Australian sprints to victory in Torrey

After falling just short of the victory the day before, Michael Matthews (Orica-GreenEdge) sprinted to victory on stage 2 of the Tour of Utah. The 23-year-old Australian outkicked race leader Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) and Jasper Stuyven (Bontrager) for the victory in the field sprint finale of the 210km stage from Panguitch to Torrey.
    Brief Results 1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 5:17:55
    2 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
    3 Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Bontrager Cycling Team
    4 Michel Koch (Ger) Cannondale Pro Cycling
    5 Kiel Reijnen (USA) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team
    whoops sorry but more yawn. Don't wait up.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    I am enjoying the race on the tour tracker. the ambience, podium protocols and scenery jusy keep reminding me of American Flyers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Eurosport coverage cancelled for 'technical difficulties'
  • ES not best pleased with the quality of the feed they've been getting
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    the whole thing is done on a shoestring.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Eurosport coverage cancelled for 'technical difficulties'
    Stage 2 Highlights were on ES2 at 1100am to 12 noon and then ES at 12 noon to 1300.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Eurosport coverage cancelled for 'technical difficulties'
    Stage 2 Highlights were on ES2 at 1100am to 12 noon and then ES at 12 noon to 1300.

Yeah, I was referring to last night's live coverage. A scroll appeared at 10.30pm or so to say there would be no live coverage.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Coverage especially the first day was absolutely abysmal, constant repeats and what was the screen wipe every 10 secs.

Slightly better second day but only just watchable.

I'm watcing the HD highlights so why are there still gaps every 5Mins for U S adverts.?.
  • gpreeves
    Not sure if it's improved as I only watched the last 10k of the previous stages, but the coverage today was just about watchable.

Lachlan Morton (Garmin) won the stage, with an impressive solo effort from ~40km. He now holds a 33 second advantage in the GC over GvA.
  • I set to record the rerun this morning and it hasn't taped - was it pulled does any one know?
  • I set to record the rerun this morning and it hasn't taped - was it pulled does any one know?
    Me, too.
    Pulled, although the tracker was a bit better, last night. Certainly had some material.

Edit: Sky and Eurosport all at sea.
    My box currently recording the Arctic race; just 15 minutes worth, apparently live.
    Next up appears to be a couple of hours of the World Junior track champs from Glasgow.
    Put on channel 410 and it's the track being recorded. :?
    (nice bit of our Becky at the start, though! :) )
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Eurosport ‏@Eurosport 4h
    Due to a lack of suitable footage from the Tour of Utah, no further live, delayed or replayed coverage of this event will be broadcast.
    Retweeted by British Eurosport
  • Is that a first for Eurosport, to pull a race midway through its run?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is that a first for Eurosport, to pull a race midway through its run?

Probably, but based on the 10-15 minutes I saw of the first stage, it's understandable. Hope they asked for a refund of however much they paid for it, too.
  • Since the Salt Lake circuit doesn't even start for another two and a quarter hours, that means a complete media black out in Europe.
    Seriously, even the poverty stricken Portuguese can manage to stick a helicopter in the air to turn out 2 hours of live, solid stream of the Volta.
    Who said the USA was the future of pro cycling, again? :(
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I set to record the rerun this morning and it hasn't taped - was it pulled does any one know?
    Me, too.
    Pulled, although the tracker was a bit better, last night. Certainly had some material.

Edit: Sky and Eurosport all at sea.
    My box currently recording the Arctic race; just 15 minutes worth, apparently live.
    Next up appears to be a couple of hours of the World Junior track champs from Glasgow.
    Put on channel 410 and it's the track being recorded. :?
    (nice bit of our Becky at the start, though! :) )

Hadn't realised they were covering the junior worlds. Did they show Aber RCs latest world champion winning her race?
  • Pross wrote:
    Hadn't realised they were covering the junior worlds. Did they show Aber RCs latest world champion winning her race?

Nope.
    Just an interview as to what to expect in terms of competition, what's it like to win a WC and so on.
    Becky is the "official" event ambassador, so she's in Glasgow for the weekend.
    Find it odd that she is now the star, at just 21, that juniors will be looking up to!

Some less than junior juniors:
    BRPEgv5CUAA4sxs.jpg+large.jpg

Boy, is this way off topic! :lol:
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    .....Boy, is this way off topic! :lol:

The ToU have only got themselves to blame with their crappy coverage. Good on Becky and hope she's enjoying the ambassador role!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Re arctic race I got 15 mins as well, but later recorded 90 mins 'live', in that no cuts in final 58k, through virgin. In a way if we're recording it do we need to see it live.

Did you catch the crash after the first tunnel where the KOM came down?

Glad Utah off as wasn't even worth the effort to delete it.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    Last 2 stages were good, Thomas Danielson has just won the tour.
  • gpreeves
    Thoroughly deserved. He did a lot of work for Morton yesterday, then had to tolerate Horner sucking his wheel the whole way up to Snowbird.

Garmin were very impressive in blowing the peloton apart on the climb today, was nice to see Tommy D come away with the win.