Boonen's last season?

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited April 2016 in Pro race
Sorry Rick, but it looks like next year will be his last http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... _interview
He lacks motivation, doesnt want to risk crashing anymore, and fancies just one more Ronde or Roubaix win

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fair enough. I remember early on in his career he said he was out when he turned 30 - That didn't pan out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I also remember him saying he didn't like bunch sprints any more and wouldn't contest any because of the danger. Shortly thereafter he won 2011 Ghent Wevelgem in a bunch sprint.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    If he lacks motivation he should call it a day now; he won't win a thing. Otherwise he is playing games.

He is a vastly experienced pro so what does he hope to achieve knowing his mindset isn't right?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    If he lacks motivation he should call it a day now; he won't win a thing. Otherwise he is playing games.

He is a vastly experienced pro so what does he hope to achieve knowing his mindset isn't right?

If you know it's the last time it's easy to push.

It makes sense. The whole cocaine thing was a way for him to deal with the mental side of living like a hermit from November to April.

Let's hope it becomes a Canc vs Boonen showdown (though I think deep down we all know how that will end...:-()

Edit: just read the article proper: he said had he had a good season this year he'd have already stopped. Because this year was so rubbish he's motivated to end on a good note.
  • rick_chasey
    Bummer though.
  • rick_chasey
    Will you guys who aren't weido fanboys of his miss him?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Yes, of course. He's the most successful cobbles rider of all time and seems a pretty decent bloke.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'm not a massive Boonen fan boy (although I do like him), but I'm properly gutted that he's talking about jacking it in. I'd hoped we might have a few more years of proper Cancellara and Boonen head to heads (sad that there have been so few years where they've both been in really good form at the same time). Would also have been interested to see new riders emerge to challenge the pair of them over the coming years.
  • Let's hope it becomes a Canc vs Boonen showdown (though I think deep down we all know how that will end...:-()

What, Sep Vanmarcke wins?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

If you know it's the last time it's easy to push.
    I'd disagree. Lacking motivation suggests that training, preparation and mindset won't be 100% and even highly talented and motivated riders more often than not fall short when not properly prepared (no innuendo intended). When its time to dig deep, the spark is missing; all my opinion of course! If I could read it, perhaps the article says something different. :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Obviously Boonen hasn't been the rider for the fans about from a few moments over the last few years. That being said he was and always will be a Certified Old School Power Heavyweight. Stylish, pure racer with insane power. Brilliant to watch and photogenic too. A rider with character and who would bring out emotions in fans other riders couldnt - need more riders like him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

I will miss him. Not a big fan but have huge respect for him as a rider.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    Wonder what he'll do once he's retired.

I wonder if he'd make a good co commentator
  • rick_chasey

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Easy Rick, we heard you the first time. I'll miss him, although I wish they'd been a few more direct battles with Cancellara.
  • FJS

In the linked interview he says explicitly he doesnt want to be a DS, or in general something closely connected to cycling. He wants to "start something completely different". I wonder
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

Of course. You can probably tell I'm more of a Cancellara fan but Boonen is an absolute legend.

I'm kind of surprised to hear him say he would have stopped last year if it had been a good year. His 2012 was one of the best seasons of all time. It would have been the perfect moment to exit. I guess the way he won the 2012 Roubaix encouraged him to believe that another season like that could be done.

I started a thread after this year's Roubaix asking who would end up with more RVV and PR combined? Cancellara or Boonen? Most people at the time went for Boonen but if next year is his last then Cancellara could well overtake him.
  • Shame, as I'd liked to have seen him Vs. Cancellara and the newer guys like Sagan, Vanmarcke and Stybar go at it for a couple of years
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ginsterdrz
    ginsterdrz Posts: 128
    He lost it a couple of seasons ago. Illegal drug brain rot perhaps???

He's turned into a right soft ar*e.....literally! Tom can't ride today as he has flu/boil/saddle sore.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Ginsterdrz wrote:

He's turned into a right soft ar*e.....literally! Tom can't ride today as he has flu/boil/saddle sore.

.......and here's me "Wha?"

1st World Team Time Trial Championship
    1st National Road Race Championship
    1st Overall Tour of Qatar
    1st Points classification
    1st Stages 1 & 4
    1st Overall World Ports Classic
    1st Stage 1
    1st Paris–Roubaix
    1st Tour of Flanders
    1st Gent–Wevelgem
    1st E3 Harelbeke
    1st Paris–Brussels
    1st Stage 2 Paris–Nice
    1st Stage 7 Tour de San Luis
    2nd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
    4th Vattenfall Cyclassics
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    Ginsterdrz wrote:

Yeah, riding and winning Paris-Roubaix without gloves is a typical soft ar*e thing to do.... :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    Ginsterdrz wrote:

Last time he had that he kept riding and ended up riding a hole in his ballsack.
  • 1st Overall World Ports Classic
    1st Stage 1

Don't think I would have listed that race. :D
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    People have been writing him off for a few years but when he hasn't crashed or been suffering the after affects of a crash he's always performed at Flanders and Paris Roubaix - even when Cancellera was at his most dominant Boonen was the only rider who took him on.

He's not been as visible over the whole season in recent years but it'd be a huge shame if he retires early - you want to see big name riders in the big races and watching Cancellera, Boonen against the challenge of Sagan would be great.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:
    In the linked interview he says explicitly he doesnt want to be a DS, or in general something closely connected to cycling. He wants to "start something completely different". I wonder
    In a year or two he'll be the Belgian spokesman for the Advanced Hair Studio.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    People have been writing him off for a few years but when he hasn't crashed or been suffering the after affects of a crash he's always performed at Flanders and Paris Roubaix - even when Cancellera was at his most dominant Boonen was the only rider who took him on.

He's not been as visible over the whole season in recent years but it'd be a huge shame if he retires early - you want to see big name riders in the big races and watching Cancellera, Boonen against the challenge of Sagan would be great.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    He is unquestionably the most beautiful rider in.the peloton too....

Ahem...anyway we should not forget that he is a massive.celebrity in.Belgium and that is also probably affecting his decision...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Ahem...anyway we should not forget that he is a massive.celebrity in.Belgium and that is also probably affecting his decision...

*cough*
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:

Sorry you're wrong, Pete Kennaugh is now.

Its a shame if he goes because I was looking forward to a duel on the cobbles in P-R with Fabian. I don't think there is really anyone else who can set down such a masterclass in cobbles riding as Boonen did in 2012.