Gradients

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Ok so a little concerned about gradients.

I want to do a ride in the peaks, but it states I must be able to climb 20% to participate.

Not sure if I am working this out right.
I climb 3.9% cat 4 hill 1.5 mile to work daily. This near enough kills me.

What's a 20% hill like?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Seems an odd thing to say, anyone can climb 20% as a very short section.

How long is this 20% gradient?

There are very few roads in the uk with sustained 20% gradients. It is most likely that this 20% gradient is short.

20% in a short burst around a hairpin (for example) is clearly easier than sustained 20% gradients on something like Hardknott Pass.

I just find this event's qualification a little off putting!
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Go to Castleton in the high peak district and do Winnats Pass. Its well over 20% for about half a mile. If you can do that and feel well at the end your good for anything the UK can throw at you. If your dead at the end do one of two things. Stop riding/ start riding seriously.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Did Winnats pass last week, it's tough, it's 20% for long stretches. What climbs are you doing?
  • So am I reading this right?

20% can be a really steep hill but for a very short distance, or a very long hill but low gradient?
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    So am I reading this right?

20% can be a really steep hill but for a very short distance, or a very long hill but low gradient?

Nope. 20% is the same gradient no matter how long it is. 20% is 1:5, which means for every 5 metres you cycle horizontally, you cycle 1 metre vertically. 10% is 1:10 - 10metres horizontally, for every 1 metre vertically...and so on...

What the above posts were saying was cycling a 20% gradient for 50m is whole different ball game to cycling a 20% gradient over 1mile. The event saying you must be able to climb 20% is a bit vague to say the least as most people could probably manage 20% over a very short distance, but as quoted - Winnats Pass would probably give a lot of pepole of lot of trouble. I've not even attempted it yet - my car struggles in 2nd gear up there!!

Which event is it?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Ok so a little concerned about gradients.

I want to do a ride in the peaks, but it states I must be able to climb 20% to participate.

Not sure if I am working this out right.
    I climb 3.9% cat 4 hill 1.5 mile to work daily. This near enough kills me.

What's a 20% hill like?

Your 3.9% hill s likely to be the average over 1.5 miles (did you get the gradient from Strava?)

I suspect there are sections nearer or over 10% on the climb and other sections of a low percentage.

There are very few climbs that have long sections of 20% in the UK, and 20% can be overcome albeit slowly by getting out of the saddle and having the correct gearing
  • Yes it's from strava.
    Here is my route https://www.strava.com/activities/71322903

The route is PeliDeli to the peaks
    It's from the peak district cycling festival
    Www.visitpeakdistrict.com/pdcf

20% still sound insane.
  • supermurph09
    Can you post the link to the event you're doing or what page it's on. Can't see it.
  • You have to download the PDF for it.
  • supermurph09
    Ah right, I thought you had a route. Long gradients of 20% are a whole different ball game, climbs like Rowlsey Bar are also tough, which may be on your route, Rowsley has 25% gradients on the bends. Best thing to do is go and have a crack at some of the tough ones around you. Winnats, might be a step too far.
  • I have mailed them for the route. Would love to try something like this.
    Getting a friend to tag along so if it gets too much we will stick together.
  • supermurph09
    Danny, just go for it, you obviously do a lot of miles and spend a lot of time on the bike. Just have a practice on some really steep stuff, you've passed close to Winnats, have a try. Go as early as you can to avoid the crowds. Oh and if you fancy a hill climb, my club is doing one at Hardwick Hall tomorrow.
  • Thanks for the help.
    Next weekend gonna ride through Sheffield down to ladybower reservoir few biggish climbs down there.

Would live to join you but working.
  • There is no set route yet.
    But starting in Matlock. Asked about the climbs and this is the response.

Hi Danny

Be great to get some good numbers. I'm thinking we will ride some of the 100 greatest climbs - winnats, riber, beeley etc.

I would expect approx 2500 - 3000m of climbing.

Bring gels, carb drinks and cash for coffee and cake!

I won't lie, it's not going to be the easiest ride you will ever do. ;)

Best regards,

Mike

PeliDeli
    Crown Sq
    Matlock
    DE4 3AT
    01629 56787
  • supermurph09
    Sounds like a great ride. May have a look myself!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Have a shot at the ride. It's the only way you'll know. The worst that will happen is you have to get off and walk, and chances are you won't be alone.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • That's what I thought.
    Will let you know how I get on.
  • Schoie81
    Danny - you're gonna be cycling around my neck of the woods! That said, being new to the road bike scene, the only hill he mentions that i've actually cycled up is Beeley - that's Rowsley Bar's tame sister (I haven't done Rowsley - well, not in an uphill direction anyway! :wink: ) and it isn't that bad - ie. I can do it without stopping, and I'm no climber..... It cimbs for about 2.5km and averages around 7% (1:14) I think (and its a pretty consistent gradient).

Winnats is nasty and its very many years since I last went up to Riber, so I can't recall what that's like. I suspect Beeley is the 'nicest' of the three he's mentioned.
  • Right looking forward to it now. My last challenge was ride 100 mile, smashed it and hit 124.
    A mate and I are going for a test run up winnats this Sunday.

If anyone is doing the deli ride let me know. Might be worth while gathering a little group to help each other along.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Give it a go...! I climb some of those on my weekly loops out...beeley hill is no bother if you take it steady...Riber is a bit of a struggle but again take your time and pace yourself...they dont go on for ever. Cannot speak for Winnats but it does have a reputation for being an arse! And I am a female that had only been cycling for 1.5 years...most of it is mind games!
  • Thanks for the heads up.

Going Sunday for a trial run up winnats. Will let you know what I think
  • Schoie81
    Thanks for the heads up.

Going Sunday for a trial run up winnats. Will let you know what I think

Will be very interested to know how you find it. I don't think I'm ready for it, but your feedback might help me decide how far off I am! Good Luck! :) Watch out for sheep!!
  • I very much doubt I'm ready for it.
    But you don't know till you try.
  • supermurph09
    Did Winnats a couple of weeks ago, its tough but the view may distract you. One thing in your favour is the surface, which is very good. Someone above mentioned Beeley, much easier than Rowsley. I actually did Bank Road and Riber last night http://www.strava.com/activities/72678315 Riber is tough, some serious ramps on the corners!
  • Schoie81
    Danny - Are you planning to cycle from South Anston to the Peak District, or are you bringing the bike in the car to tackle Winnats on its own? I've found a nice 'warm-up' hill tonight you could do on the way over if you fancy a preview of the real thing first?

For info - Mike PeliDeli Blair has done Winnats in 10:52 according to Strava - he's 78th out 2028 people who've tackled it on Strava - so you can gauge your performance this weekend against his - top 100 up Winnats gets my utmost respect!
  • Yes I'm riding over. I work in Sheffield could try the hill out tomorrow afternoon.

My aim is to complete the climb without stopping.
    If I can get in the top 2028 I will be over the moon
  • supermurph09
    That segment imo is a bit daft for Winnatts, should use this one as this is where the climb starts just as you turn off the road so use that as your guide. http://www.strava.com/segments/2441513 Did Rowsley again tonight, the motto of "it doesnt get easier you just go faster" was very apt.

What gearing do you have?
  • I'm running front 52/39 rear 12/26