Help...Red route with forks locked!!!!

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Made a schoolboy error the other day, I rode Follow the Dog up at Cannock with my forks locked out. Didn't dawn on me that it seemed harder work than normal because I hadn't been out on it for a while and just put it down to me having a bad day at the time. I'm not that good a rider at the end of the day, so there were no big drops as I tend to roll everything although there are a few steps/roll overs that usually give the forks a good workout so now I'm worried I might have done some damage. The forks still lock and unlock fine and seem to work ok, but I haven't been out on it since to try them properly.

The forks are Rockshox Sektor TK's with 130mm travel that came as standard on a 2012 Boardman FS Team.

Could I have damaged them? I've heard that some forks have a blowoff as a safety feature, but I don't know if these forks do this.
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I've got a 2013 Team FS (same fork, different graphics), and a few times I've used the lockout for fire road climbs, then forgotten to switch it back when entering the next section of trail. The Turnkey damper does have a blowoff valve for if you hit a big bump while locked out. I can't imagine you've done them any harm - if they still feel normal then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's highly unlikely that you've damaged anything.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are trashed. I collect trashed forks - please parcel them up and post them to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It's highly unlikely that you've damaged anything.
    This.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    They are trashed. I collect trashed forks - please parcel them up and post them to me.

:lol: Nice try.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Thanks for the reassurance guys. Must admit I felt a bit of a numpty when I realised yesterday!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    I leave my Pikes locked out quite a bit just to try out different lines etc, can't see a problem, so don't worry :)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Years back I rode the whole of Whites Level with my old bombers locked down to 30mm of travel - unlocked them just as I got to the path back to the car park at the bottom - felt like a fool but didnt do any hard.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Years back I rode the whole of Whites Level with my old bombers locked down to 30mm of travel - unlocked them just as I got to the path back to the car park at the bottom - felt like a fool but didnt do any hard.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ive done lower cliff and the whole of tackeroo locked out by mistake it didn't effect the forks at all just my wrists lol
  • Kowalski675
    I got to the bottom of Hully Gully and realised I'd left the shock's CTD lever on climb once - I thought the back end felt a bit harsh on the way down, lol.
  • Rode about 2/3 of w2 on my boardman team fs (same forks as OP) with them locked out. Felt like a tard, no other harm done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which just goes to prove how many people are riding overbiked yet have convinced themselves they need that extra travel I guess?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The Rookie wrote:
    Which just goes to prove how many people are riding overbiked yet have convinced themselves they need that extra travel I guess?
    No, it does not. Besides "overbiked" being a nonsense term, being able to do without something does not mean it is not desirable.
    I could do without shoes, f'rinstance, but I'd much rather have them.
  • The Rookie
    You appear to have missed the ? on the end there.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, I didn't. I answered the question you posed.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I got to the bottom of Hully Gully and realised I'd left the shock's CTD lever on climb once - I thought the back end felt a bit harsh on the way down, lol.

Are CTD not just compression settings? I use my climb mode quiet a lot as just that little bit firmer. Still had full travel though.
  • Kowalski675
    lbalony wrote:

Are CTD not just compression settings? I use my climb mode quiet a lot as just that little bit firmer. Still had full travel though.

AFAIK they only affect the compression damping, not travel (but I don't have Fox suspension, so I could be wrong).
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lbalony wrote:
    I got to the bottom of Hully Gully and realised I'd left the shock's CTD lever on climb once
    Are CTD not just compression settings?

I don't have Fox suspension, so I could be wrong
    Really? I could have sworn that only Fox have CTD. What do you have then?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    On a boardman some kind of monarch shock, so he's probably talking about the floodgate setting.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh, right, so not CTD then?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    lbalony wrote:
    I got to the bottom of Hully Gully and realised I'd left the shock's CTD lever on climb once

fox only have the words CTD to describe the 3 position compression damping settings on their forks/shocks- my Manitou ABS+ has 8 compression damping settings while rockshox also have a 3 position damping setting. they all do the same thing
  • YeehaaMcgee
    CTD stand for Climb, Trail, Descend. Which is (in my opinion) a stupidly simplified system.
    It's a Fox terminology, that nobody else uses.
    So, no, other suspension manufacturers don't have "CTD".
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    CTD stand for Climb, Trail, Descend. Which is (in my opinion) a stupidly simplified system.

yes no manufacturer uses the letters CTD but it could be used as a general term like "hoover" is :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:

yes no manufacturer uses the letters CTD but it could be used as a general term like "idiot" is :lol:
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I leave my Pikes locked out quite a bit just to try out different lines etc

Huh? What's the relationship between trying lines and having your forks active :?

Cooldad +1 - can't see CTD ever being used interchangeably, when it's a very specific initialism. However, as Kowalski tested about a million bikes perhaps he was riding one of these, with a CTD shock, which was on climb.

Personally I have an RP23, and leave it on the firmest setting virtually all the time, never bothered changing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    You didn't because you then criticised the questions wording meaning you didn't actaully answer it......
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    You didn't because you then criticised the questions wording meaning you didn't actaully answer it......
    Nope, I answered your question. The fact that you dislike the answer doesn't change that.
  • Kowalski675
    lbalony wrote:

Did I say it was on my bike, smartarse? I was riding a Trek Rumblefish at the time.
  • Kowalski675
    On a boardman some kind of monarch shock, so he's probably talking about the floodgate setting.

My boardman has a basic Monarch R, as far as I can tell it's only adjustable for preload and rebound. Feels good enough for my riding though.