Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Can you spot anything strange here?

mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,765
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
What is strange about this motorway photo of the UK? Where is it? And what's the story?

uRrfx3Mf.png
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
«1

Posts

  • alihisgreatalihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Two things wrong:

    1) The sign is red
    2) No BMW/Audi/Range Rovers doing 110mph in the fast lane.
  • me-109me-109 Posts: 1,426
    Sign is bordered in red, which usually denotes MoD properties? M1, M40? Looks familiar, but I do so many I'm not so sure.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    RAF Welford in West Berkshire, M4
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • AlitogataAlitogata Posts: 148
    The red sign shows that there is a road to a military installation. But I don't see anything strange? Why are you asking?
  • Phil562Phil562 Posts: 73
    RAF Welford, M4 in Berkshire ....... Ammunition Depot
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,386
    You can see for miles and not a cone in sight? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pipipipipipi Posts: 332
    Well most motorway signs are blue. But I agree with the MOD posts.


    No litter?
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,600
    pipipi wrote:
    Well most motorway signs are blue. But I agree with the MOD posts.


    No litter?

    RAF Stepford?


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Welford
    Location
    RAF Welford is located in West Berkshire with a now disused dedicated access road leading to the station from the eastbound M4 motorway to the west of the A34 junction with the M4. There is no access from the westbound motorway, so traffic leaving the station for the west must first travel east to the A34 junction before heading west.

    The access road from the M4 is enigmatically signposted "Works Unit Only", but has the distinctive Red Border of a Defence Establishment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,386
    nicklouse wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Welford
    Location
    RAF Welford is located in West Berkshire with a now disused dedicated access road leading to the station from the eastbound M4 motorway to the west of the A34 junction with the M4. There is no access from the westbound motorway, so traffic leaving the station for the west must first travel east to the A34 junction before heading west.

    The access road from the M4 is enigmatically signposted "Works Unit Only", but has the distinctive Red Border of a Defence Establishment.
    So. A secret sign that everyone knows about. :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • "Works Unit Only" is an anagram of "Wry Kiloton Sun", and was especially chosen to hint at what was actually being stored there (before you ask, yes, it is the world's largest tabloid).
    Mangeur
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,765
    "Works Unit Only" is an anagram of "Wry Kiloton Sun", and was especially chosen to hint at what was actually being stored there (before you ask, yes, it is the world's largest tabloid).

    Very funny. Very Correct. - M4 east bound between Hungerford and Newbury/A34 junction.

    It's where the MoD and US store their nuclear warheads. Good resolution pictures of it on Google earth.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • AlitogataAlitogata Posts: 148
    daviesee wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Welford
    Location
    RAF Welford is located in West Berkshire with a now disused dedicated access road leading to the station from the eastbound M4 motorway to the west of the A34 junction with the M4. There is no access from the westbound motorway, so traffic leaving the station for the west must first travel east to the A34 junction before heading west.

    The access road from the M4 is enigmatically signposted "Works Unit Only", but has the distinctive Red Border of a Defence Establishment.
    So. A secret sign that everyone knows about. :twisted:

    Is not secret. It is a different kind of sign that is there to help some kind of people.. ( obviously military people who work there).
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,386
    Alitogata wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    So. A secret sign that everyone knows about. :twisted:

    Is not secret. It is a different kind of sign that is there to help some kind of people.. ( obviously military people who work there).
    You took my post far too literally. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • TCR4x4TCR4x4 Posts: 38
    The only vehicles that really used the gate were the nuclear convoys , and you won't miss one of those in a hurry.


    On the subject, how many people know of the huge( and I mean huge) underground city underneath Corsham and Box near Bath? A large part is now disused, or used for other purposes, but underneath Corsham is the main government nuclear bunker and communications depot.
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,765
    Okay, talking of government establishments that are 'secret'. Many of them are right in front of us in towns and cities without us paying much attention.

    Down the road from me in Christchurch is a large red brick warehouse on a main road into the town centre on what is called the Airfield Industrial Estate. It is surrounded by razor wire, has infrared surveillance cameras and eves dropping equipment all around. There is no signage, rarely do you see anyone go in or out. At night through the high skylights you can see the inside illuminated by sulphur lamps and you can sometimes see ceiling fans turning. An old colleague of mine used to work at the council, and they weren't even aware of its function.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,686
    ^^^ If you find a golden ticket hidden in a chocolate bar you can go and visit.
  • AlitogataAlitogata Posts: 148
    daviesee wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    So. A secret sign that everyone knows about. :twisted:

    Is not secret. It is a different kind of sign that is there to help some kind of people.. ( obviously military people who work there).
    You took my post far too literally. :wink:

    Sorry.. :(
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,385
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Okay, talking of government establishments that are 'secret'. Many of them are right in front of us in towns and cities without us paying much attention.

    Down the road from me in Christchurch is a large red brick warehouse on a main road into the town centre on what is called the Airfield Industrial Estate. It is surrounded by razor wire, has infrared surveillance cameras and eves dropping equipment all around. There is no signage, rarely do you see anyone go in or out. At night through the high skylights you can see the inside illuminated by sulphur lamps and you can sometimes see ceiling fans turning. An old colleague of mine used to work at the council, and they weren't even aware of its function.

    Cannabis factory?
  • alihisgreatalihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Okay, talking of government establishments that are 'secret'. Many of them are right in front of us in towns and cities without us paying much attention.

    Down the road from me in Christchurch is a large red brick warehouse on a main road into the town centre on what is called the Airfield Industrial Estate. It is surrounded by razor wire, has infrared surveillance cameras and eves dropping equipment all around. There is no signage, rarely do you see anyone go in or out. At night through the high skylights you can see the inside illuminated by sulphur lamps and you can sometimes see ceiling fans turning. An old colleague of mine used to work at the council, and they weren't even aware of its function.

    ooooooh give us an address and lets have a look on Streetview!
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,765
    Secret building Christchurch: search for 141 Somerford Road, Christchurch (this is the Citroen dealer next door). The building concerned is on the corner of Wilverley Road (PC world on opposite corner). You can see the cameras, eves dropping devices, razor wire and usual warning signs about trespassing. But no cars in car park or any indication what the building is. Obviously the trick is that it looks completely innocuous to us passersby.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,628
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Secret building Christchurch: search for 141 Somerford Road, Christchurch (this is the Citroen dealer next door). The building concerned is on the corner of Wilverley Road (PC world on opposite corner). You can see the cameras, eves dropping devices, razor wire and usual warning signs about trespassing. But no cars in car park or any indication what the building is. Obviously the trick is that it looks completely innocuous to us passersby.

    Just been on Google Earth and there is just a blurry smudge here. Sinister!
  • It's the old Airspeed factory, although what they're doing in it now is anyone's punt.

    Edited to add...

    Assuming it's never been sold, it's therefore probably owned by BAE Systems.
    Mangeur
  • TCR4x4TCR4x4 Posts: 38
    edited August 2013
    I believe the Christchurch building is a storage depot for the ONS (office of national statistics). .
    They store sensitive government and public data there, passport info, censuses, NHS and social care info etc.

    That's why there is rarely anyone there, but its still highly guarded.
  • protoproto Posts: 1,482
    Have a look here for more info, about half way down the page:

    http://www.secret-bases.co.uk/secret4.htm
  • morstarmorstar Posts: 4,663
    Damn, we're out of foil!
    Please can nobody post anything else until I've been to the shops. I do enjoy all this intrigue but only with appropriate protective headware.
  • morstar wrote:
    Damn, we're out of foil!
    Please can nobody post anything else until I've been to the shops. I do enjoy all this intrigue but only with appropriate protective headware.
    Balance your bike on your head. That should be enough. Plus, if you get the angle right you should be able to pick up a few numbers stations on.
    Mangeur
  • jawoogajawooga Posts: 530
    Has this been solved yet?

    It looks a little odd to me to have the telegraph wire going across a motorway. But I do live in the West Country and the M5 isn't necessarily representative of our major highways.
  • TCR4x4TCR4x4 Posts: 38
    jawooga wrote:
    Has this been solved yet?

    It looks a little odd to me to have the telegraph wire going across a motorway. But I do live in the West Country and the M5 isn't necessarily representative of our major highways.

    Err, yeah about 10 posts back. Its the M4 entrance to RAF Welford, a MOD munitions storage depot near Hungerford. The slip road is now used exclusively by the Highways Agency patrols for thier tea break.
  • jawoogajawooga Posts: 530
    Ah okay fair enough. Just re-reading the post, there doesn't seem to be anything odd about the picture then. The red sign denotes MOD. :| I will however go searching for that Citroen dealership to get my conspiracy theory hit for 2013 :D
Sign In or Register to comment.