The Rule(s) Book

2»

Comments

• binkybike wrote:
    Some people definitely take them seriously. I have been told and i was WRONG because I use my valve nut (to stop the valve rattling in the rim hole) and valve cap (to stop crud getting in the valve) because they are NOT NEEDED. he wasn't joking either.

And I just don't think they are funny (and I am not American), I read them once and it didn't even raise a smile, it gets quite dull as the vast majority of them are arbitrary stylisic nonsense. can someone explain what is funny about what prescribing the angle of your quick release??

The funny thing is that the valve nuts don't stop rattling and the valve cap isn't there to stop crud getting into the valve.
    The QR thing is sensible advice - as stated many times in various places, the front one pointing backwards horizontal to the ground is easy to open - even with freezing hands, the rear one pointing at the 'ten to' position or tucked under the rear fork keeps it out of the way in accidents yet easy to open when necessary. These are quite sensible bits of advice and might help you one day. Don't just dismiss them because you think they are arbitrary and stylistic - they just might have been put together by people more knowledgeable and experienced than you.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    The funny thing is that the valve nuts don't stop rattling and the valve cap isn't there to stop crud getting into the valve.
    Just out of interest, how is it even possible to get the pump securely on to the valve if the tyre is completely flat and there's no valve nut?

I forgot to put my valve nut on the other day, and only managed to push the valve into the tyre.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • The funny thing is that the valve nuts don't stop rattling and the valve cap isn't there to stop crud getting into the valve.
    Just out of interest, how is it even possible to get the pump securely on to the valve if the tyre is completely flat and there's no valve nut?

I forgot to put my valve nut on the other day, and only managed to push the valve into the tyre.

Push it onto the pump
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    edited July 2013
    The QR thing is sensible advice - as stated many times in various places, the front one pointing backwards horizontal to the ground is easy to open - even with freezing hands, the rear one pointing at the 'ten to' position or tucked under the rear fork keeps it out of the way in accidents yet easy to open when necessary. These are quite sensible bits of advice and might help you one day. Don't just dismiss them because you think they are arbitrary and stylistic - they just might have been put together by people more knowledgeable and experienced than you.

On my Scott CR1 I put my RS80 front QR on the drive side because it sits more comfortably there. Different on my Addict. If I'm using my Ksyriums with the Mavic chunky QRs, I use a different position too. So I will dismiss this 'rule' just because it is arbitrary and stylistic and because my knowledge and experience shows them to be wrong [for me, and that's all I care about].

Rule 46 is factually incorrect regarding handlebar angle in relation to the ground. It should read 0 to 5 degrees (if you're sad enough to follow it based on the rule alone) and if I don't want to not shave my legs I won't. And if I adjust my gears, sometimes I flip my bike over, and I feel all the better for doing so and my gears work better afterwards.

I thoroughly agree with the 'don't litter' rule, but as that applies to every second of one's life, it's not a cycling rule per se.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    The lightheartedness of The Rules masks a fiercely held belief in elegance over dour utility, etiquette over laissez-faire, tradition over acquisitiveness, poetry over prose, civilisation over anarchy. The Keepers are fighting a war out there, and in the process creating tribes, and making enemies, and converting philistines, and making a buck or two.

I can respect that even if I don’t agree with their every interpretation of cycling’s lore.
    Brilliantly put, sir.

I'd add that their particular style of lightheartedness is also heavily ironic - 57 for instance, and even more so 42. That's what makes it funny for me. Stylistically, the whole thing reads as if they're being serious and non-serious at the same time, which I think is very clever.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • The funny thing is that the valve nuts don't stop rattling and the valve cap isn't there to stop crud getting into the valve.

Push it onto the pump
    Nah. The whole thing's easier with the nut in place. Why do it the hard way?
    Mangeur

1/ Use a Lezyne pump with a screw on tube.
    2/ Place your thumb (or any preferred digit) against the tyre behind the valve and push. This works on the most horrible tyres including Marathon Plus.
    3/ Use your teeth to grip the valve stem.

No need to thank me.
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    binkybike wrote:
    Some people definitely take them seriously. I have been told and i was WRONG because I use my valve nut (to stop the valve rattling in the rim hole) and valve cap (to stop crud getting in the valve) because they are NOT NEEDED. he wasn't joking either.

And I just don't think they are funny (and I am not American), I read them once and it didn't even raise a smile, it gets quite dull as the vast majority of them are arbitrary stylisic nonsense. can someone explain what is funny about what prescribing the angle of your quick release??

You lost me with your first sentence. if I don't tighten the nut the valve rattles annoyingly, and when i lost the valve cap the next time i pumped my tires it was covered in crap. so whatever their intended use that is what I am using them for.

So now they are not funny but sensible advice? (although rules differ from you with regard the front fork.. INFIDEL! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!)
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    The lightheartedness of The Rules masks a fiercely held belief in elegance over dour utility, etiquette over laissez-faire, tradition over acquisitiveness, poetry over prose, civilisation over anarchy. The Keepers are fighting a war out there, and in the process creating tribes, and making enemies, and converting philistines, and making a buck or two.

I can respect that even if I don’t agree with their every interpretation of cycling’s lore.
    Brilliantly put, sir.

I'd add that their particular style of lightheartedness is also heavily ironic - 57 for instance, and even more so 42. That's what makes it funny for me. Stylistically, the whole thing reads as if they're being serious and non-serious at the same time, which I think is very clever.

Really? I think it reads like a "comedy" sixth form magazine article...
  • binkybike wrote:
    binkybike wrote:

You lost me with your first sentence. if I don't tighten the nut the valve rattles annoyingly, and when i lost the valve cap the next time i pumped my tires it was covered in crap. so whatever their intended use that is what I am using them for.

So now they are not funny but sensible advice? (although rules differ from you with regard the front fork.. INFIDEL! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!)

Never ever, ever had a valve rattle. Not sure what you're doing different but if it stops a rattle then fair enough.

Never had a valve remain covered in muck either.

Just do what works for you but don't dismiss them as they are useful in many cases.