Mouth open vs mouth closed during TT

buckles
buckles Posts: 694
edited August 2013 in Amateur race
Increased air intake/expulsion vs improved aerodynamics. Which has greater effect?
25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y

Comments

• kwozzymodo
    kwozzymodo Posts: 45
    Depends how many flies are around. Have you tried the method similar to swimmers doing the front crawl... It'll need some practice, but do-able
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    There's no way I could do a TT with my mouth closed. But then again, I don't have any aerodynamic accoutrements anyway, so it's probably moot.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Mouth open otherwise you'll starve your muscles of oxygen and suffer power loss.
    You could try closing it between breaths though :o
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Lol is this a joke?

If you can breathe through your nose only then you most certainly are not trying hard enough!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If its good enough for Tony Martin.. then an open-mouth is good enough for you
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    Breathing through nose, exhaling through mouth. Other wise you over ventilated and you can feel dizzy.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    If you ride with mouth open then you need to make sure your ringpiece is open too - so that the air flows through your body efficiently.

Takes practice but it's a good technique to gain valuable time
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Alitogata wrote:
    Breathing through nose, exhaling through mouth. Other wise you over ventilated and you can feel dizzy.

over-ventilate :lol:
  • Alitogata
    Imposter wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:

Why are you laughing ? You did this the other day too, in the fixed gear training thread. Are you always that rude or you are so rude just for me? :?
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    You could maybe fit this visor to your TT helmet to make your face fully aero! You'd look a tw@ but then if you were genuinely asking this question then that probably wouldn't matter. :roll:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Alitogata wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:

Why are you laughing ? You did this the other day too, in the fixed gear training thread. Are you always that rude or you are so rude just for me? :?

lighten up FFS
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • imposter2.0
    Alitogata wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:

Seriously, what is the likelihood of over-ventilating during a TT ?? Most people (me included) struggle to get enough oxygen into the body at threshold, let alone too much.

I see you are from Greece, so it's possible English is not your first language. On that basis, your choice of words may be the issue, I don't know. And to be fair, your English is a lot better than my Greek... ;)
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Just don't dribble/froth like that belkin rider (forgot his name).
  • Alitogata
    Lack of oxygen is a HUGE limiting factor in human physical performance. Keep that mouth wide open!

You don't get more oxygen if you open your mouth. Contrary your upper respiratory system gets dry, and you loose your breathing tempo.
    The right technique is to inhale from nose and exhale from mouth in order to take out of you lungs more carbon dioxide.

The moment that you desperately need to inhale from mouth is the time that you have exceed your aerobic capacity. In other words you are out of breath..

ETA: Have you ever seen any runner, sprinter, dancer doing anything with his mouth open??
  • imposter2.0
    Alitogata wrote:
    You don't get more oxygen if you open your mouth.

Categorically wrong - of course you do. Unless of course your nasal passages are physically bigger than your open mouth, in which case, post a pic.
    Alitogata wrote:
    The moment that you desperately need to inhale from mouth is the time that you have exceed your aerobic capacity. In other words you are out of breath..

Wrong again. You only exceed it if you cannot physically take in more oxygen. The way you inhale it is irrelevant.
    Alitogata wrote:
    ETA: Have you ever seen any runner, sprinter, dancer doing anything with his mouth open??

Kidding, right ??
  • Alitogata
    edited July 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1JQFxfLMM

Women keirin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp0gTFLLoOE

As you'll see non of these athletes in so different sports, sprint with open mouth. They follow the technique "breathing from nose exhaling from mouth. Of course all of them have great aerobic capacity, they use their lungs better than every day athletes like us. But this comes with training and effective training comes with good technique.
  • imposter2.0
    edited July 2013
    What 100m sprinters do is anaerobic - and therefore totally irrelevant. The kierin clip is pointless, as it shows nothing. Although the guy on the derny does clearly have his mouth closed.. :lol:
  • Alitogata
    Imposter wrote:
    What 100m sprinters do is anaerobic - and therefore totally irrelevant.

I added another video. In order to be able to be anaerobic in this level they have first build their aerobic capacity.
    Keirin video is more relevant. Check how they sprint.. None of them opens her mouth in order to breath while they are sprinting.. they open it afterwards but not during sprinting.

( sorry for editing my post.. :) )
  • imposter2.0
    Alitogata wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I added another video. In order to be able to be anaerobic in this level they have first build their aerobic capacity.
    Keirin video is more relevant. Check how they sprint.. None of them opens her mouth in order to breath while they are sprinting.. they open it afterwards but not during sprinting.

Mate - you're embarrassing yourself. Stop now.
  • Alitogata
    Imposter wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Mate - you're embarrassing yourself. Stop now.

YOU think so.. not me. :) And I'm not your mate.. ( reminder).
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    The thread is about TTing, not sprinting. How people sprint is irrelevant
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • gavbarron
    Yeah I noticed that wiggins kept his mouth shut during his Olympic winning TT. Mo Farrah runs with his mouth shut too.
    Oh hang on, no they don't. You my friend are talking bo11ocks
  • Alitogata
    Ok then.. Let's ask a professional trainer to tell us his opinion about best aerobic technique. Mine says what I've told you and this works for me. Yours? ( did you ever had one or you just repeat here what you've read on internet?)
  • imposter2.0
    Alitogata wrote:
    Ok then.. Let's ask a professional trainer to tell us his opinion about best aerobic technique. Mine says what I've told you and this works for me. Yours? ( did you ever had one or you just repeat here what you've read on internet?)

give it a rest, ffs.
  • gavbarron
    Nose breathing may well be best for aerobic activity compared to mouth breathing in terms of relative transfer of air consumed getting to the blood via the pulmonary system but only at low intensity. Incidentally, studies have shown that it also helps to lower and regulate heart rate. The problem is, and this is where your argument falls flat, is that a time trial (assuming you are talking of typical 10-25 mile type events, is not a low intensity affair, it is exercise intense enough to trigger Lactic acid build up and requires more air than can be transported by the typical pair of nostrils.
    But then what do I know, I'm not a 'professional trainer'. I do have two friends who are professional triathletes though and they fully concur with my view.
    Have a read here: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/fi ... Mouth.html
    Alitogata wrote:
    did you ever had one or you just repeat here what you've read on internet?)
    Yes I have had 'professional coaches', in various sports, some of which I did to a national standard and when pushing hard, mouth breathing has done me pretty well without my coaching staff getting all excited and demanding I breathe through my nose.

Now go calm yourself down, you asked a question to start a debate, don't be surprised if people dispute your claims, if you want someone to just agree with you then bad luck
  • fcukwit
    fcukwit Posts: 63
    I use mouth, nose and arse on my TT's
  • Alitogata
    gavbarron wrote:
    Nose breathing may well be best for aerobic activity compared to mouth breathing in terms of relative transfer of air consumed getting to the blood via the pulmonary system but only at low intensity. Incidentally, studies have shown that it also helps to lower and regulate heart rate. The problem is, and this is where your argument falls flat, is that a time trial (assuming you are talking of typical 10-25 mile type events, is not a low intensity affair, it is exercise intense enough to trigger Lactic acid build up and requires more air than can be transported by the typical pair of nostrils.
    But then what do I know, I'm not a 'professional trainer'. I do have two friends who are professional triathletes though and they fully concur with my view.
    Have a read here: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/fi ... Mouth.html

What you've read on the internet.. :roll: And who is the author of the article that you've just gave me here? Do we know him... what are his qualifications?

I'm really sick and tired of seeing internet citations for every claim that someone does. Read "this" and the "this" is something, that someone, from nowhere, uploaded somewhere online.. Do we know this someone ( in our case Erin Beresini)?? No.. Can we trust him.. I doubt.. (Erin Beresini is Outside's Fitness Coach columnist. She is a Los Angeles-based freelance journalist and has written for Triathlete Magazine, espnW, and The New York Times.)
    Yes I have had 'professional coaches', in various sports, some of which I did to a national standard and when pushing hard, mouth breathing has done me pretty well without my coaching staff getting all excited and demanding I breathe through my nose.

Now go calm yourself down, you asked a question to start a debate, don't be surprised if people dispute your claims, if you want someone to just agree with you then bad luck

I am totally calm.. You seem not to be so calm. I'm not surprised if someone disputes my claims, but this doesn't mean that I'll accept his own claims.

If you indeed have a coach then well done for you.. Would you like to tell us his name as well?

And of course I hope that the things that your professional coach told you, work for you, as the things that my coach ( George Scollias, coaching national teams), told me and work for me.

That you've don't get is that someone asked something here and everyone replies according to his experiences and knowledge. My experience and knowledge is not lesser than yours ( according to what you've told us here), so the OP can read both opinions and get his own conclusions. And if he wants to be absolutely sure about which is the correct answer, then I advice him to get a coach for his self. Real person.. to give him real time advice and not internet citations..
  • gavbarron
    Look, this is becoming tiresome now and as I am not a 14 year old boy with a wealth of free time to waste arguing with someone on an Internet we'll keep this short.
    Just because your coach is a national coach it doesn't mean everything he says is gospel, if it was then maybe his national squad would perform a bit better.
    Secondly, for the sake of the fact that you seem intent on disregarding all information on the Internet as though you are a well read star who resides above the knowledge base of us mere mortals I won't refer you to any further articles but please bear in kind that medical papers, journals and a plethora of accurate technical information is found on line.
    Thirdly, take a minute to look at pictures of Wiggins or Froome during a time trial and see how many of them are showing them with a mouth open, but then what do they know, maybe you should get your coach to give Dave Brailsford a call and correct him on what he's been getting so seriously wrong with his Great Britain and Team Sky squads.
  • imposter2.0
    Alitogata wrote:
    And of course I hope that the things that your professional coach told you, work for you, as the things that my coach ( George Scollias, coaching national teams), told me and work for me.

As gavbarron says above - this is becoming a bit tedious and slightly surreal. You (and your coach, by the sound of it) both seem to hold opinions which are entirely at odds with established medical science, not to mention conventional wisdom, common sense and your body's own autonomic nervous system.

On that basis, you are either:

a) on the verge of a major breakthrough which will challenge the way we all view the human respiratory system, or
    b) talking complete and utter nonsense

Based on some of your other posts on these forums, I'm going for (b)...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    While I'm not a spectacular athlete and don't have access to a national level coaching team I do know that there's no way I can get enough air in through my nose alone.

As for mouth open or closed I think the products of marginal gains should get a say -

An image Google of 'Bradley Wiggins Olympic TT' says open -
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bradley+wiggins+olympic+TT&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nFb2UfvgAsnKOKCigegC&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1020&bih=412

'Chris Froome TT' is slightly less convincing but looks to suggest open is his norm -
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chris+froome+TT&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2lf2UZuZA4nAOPKEgegP&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1020&bih=412

And if you want a definite YES then try 'Tony Martin TT'.

Don't know if they're breathing in through the nose or mouth but they're pretty much mouth open in every shot which answers the OPs question even if not conclusively the side show...