Can't ride for 3 months - advice please

nammynake
nammynake Posts: 196
Up until a month ago I was in the best shape of my life and cycling more than I've ever done. I was all ready to take part in La Marmotte but unfortunately crashed while mountain biking in Morzine just 4 days before the event.

I spent 3 weeks in a French hospital due to internal injuries to the liver and right kidney. I was advised not to exercise for 3 months but swimming was OK. I asked about using a turbo trainer and was told this was fine too - essentially no exercise that could lead to any knocks to the body.

I was doing 2 or 3 turbo sessions per week since the start of the year - mostly 2x20. Can anyone advise how best to maintain my fitness over the next 3 months using a variety of sessions? Obviously my long distance endurance is going to suffer - I was doing weekend rides of about 5 hours and don't have the will power to replicate that on a turbo!

Thanks

Comments

• Try Trainerroad ( the long thread on here) it may help motivate you on the turbo and they have a shitload of fitness plans available.

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12869366
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    nammynake wrote:
    Up until a month ago I was in the best shape of my life and cycling more than I've ever done. I was all ready to take part in La Marmotte but unfortunately crashed while mountain biking in Morzine just 4 days before the event.

I spent 3 weeks in a French hospital due to internal injuries to the liver and right kidney. I was advised not to exercise for 3 months but swimming was OK. I asked about using a turbo trainer and was told this was fine too - essentially no exercise that could lead to any knocks to the body.

I was doing 2 or 3 turbo sessions per week since the start of the year - mostly 2x20. Can anyone advise how best to maintain my fitness over the next 3 months using a variety of sessions? Obviously my long distance endurance is going to suffer - I was doing weekend rides of about 5 hours and don't have the will power to replicate that on a turbo!

Thanks
    Look on this page below and check the post from nslckevin
    http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... st=4193285
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    Toks wrote:

Look on this page below and check the post from nslckevin
    http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... st=4193285

A very informative thread. Thanks for that. :D
  • Broke my collarbone a few years back and trained similarly, a block of 3 days of an hour at tempo, then a day off. I was flying afterwards.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015