Cavendish not happy with the Venge

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    ddraver wrote:
    binkybike wrote:
    Wasn't it the SRAM stuff he complained about, hydraulic brakes and what-not? i may well have got that wrong... who really knows though?

That's what I assumed when I heard about it... In fact its supposed to be a bit of a running joke within the peloton that the SRAM stuff is a bit sh*t.

Wheels slipping on cobbles is always the fault of the groupset you know...

I thought his tantrum was earlier in the race? or are we talking about a second tantrum?

It was the post-St 6 tantrum, after he'd crashed and had to chase back on with 45k to go, and then his train evaporated in the final kms

Yep and the rant made far more sense in that context, my impression at the time was that he felt there was something up with the bike at that time. Can't recall the details, whether he had to change bikes or not.

He has been extremely gracious but times he got beaten by Kittel and he usually is when he feels he has been beaten fair and square. He was definitely at fault for Veelers though, yes Veelers had obstructed his sprint but you can't behave like that in retaliation. The thing with Cav is he seems to be quick tempered but generally cools down quickly and regains his sanity - would have liked to seem him apologise to Veelers though.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Don't hold your breath. Veelers was loitering, having finished his stint and drifted off his line, oh so accidentally in front of his sprinter's rival. He got no change from the Commissars and should get none from anyone else.
    'fool'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Don't hold your breath. Veelers was loitering, having finished his stint and drifted off his line, oh so accidentally in front of his sprinter's rival. He got no change from the Commissars and should get none from anyone else.

I acknowledged that point. However, you can't deliberately barge another rider at 40mph in a tightly packed bunch. I still think most of the crashes Cav has been blamed for on forums like this have been genuine racing incidents (such as Haussler and the Thor incident that cost him a green jersey) but this incident was definitely petulance / frustration on his part.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's true you can't barge anyone on purpose. And as the judges ruled it - he didn't do that here.
    Barging someone is only going to slow you down - its not the best way to keep your speed up.

A racing incident where two riders collided - no deliberate intention from either party I think.