Cavendish not happy with the Venge

ginsterdrz
ginsterdrz Posts: 128
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Velonews quote: "In short: He screamed about his bike while reporters could hear, he was accused of crashing Tom Veelers (Argos-Shimano) and took a reporter’s recorder when asked if it was his fault (the recorder was immediately given back), and had urine thrown on him during his time trial run to Mont-Saint-Michel."

What did he say about the Venge? I thought he was glad to be back with a bike he had input with?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    d*mb as f*ck........ thats his company motto.......
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Should know by now that it is never Cav's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    Wasn't it the SRAM stuff he complained about, hydraulic brakes and what-not? i may well have got that wrong... who really knows though?
  • binkybike
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    What did he say about the Venge?
    Among other things, “I don’t want to use this fuc king bike! What the fuc k is wrong with this bike!”

I like watching Cavendish race, but everyone should stop giving him a free pass for his behaviour in the one-hour window after he loses a race. He’s twenty-eight: time to grow up.

This is a depressing attitude, why does he need to grow up? He doesn't like losing, if I was his boss I'd be delighted
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    binkybike wrote:
    Wasn't it the SRAM stuff he complained about, hydraulic brakes and what-not? i may well have got that wrong... who really knows though?

That's what I assumed when I heard about it... In fact its supposed to be a bit of a running joke within the peloton that the SRAM stuff is a bit sh*t.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    binkybike wrote:
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    What did he say about the Venge?
    Among other things, “I don’t want to use this fuc king bike! What the fuc k is wrong with this bike!”

I like watching Cavendish race, but everyone should stop giving him a free pass for his behaviour in the one-hour window after he loses a race. He’s twenty-eight: time to grow up.

This is a depressing attitude, why does he need to grow up? He doesn't like losing, if I was his boss I'd be delighted
    I think there's a difference between "not liking losing" and "not liking losing while throwing all his toys out the pram".
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    binkybike wrote:

That's what I assumed when I heard about it... In fact its supposed to be a bit of a running joke within the peloton that the SRAM stuff is a bit sh*t.

Wheels slipping on cobbles is always the fault of the groupset you know...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    There's a photo here which says "Mark Cavendish's rear wheel was losing air denying him of a five straight win in Paris"

Can you see it? (Seems rather tenuous to me)

http://www.steephill.tv/2013/tour-de-fr ... 03crop.jpg

It's a close-up from this one: http://www.steephill.tv/2013/tour-de-fr ... 080403.jpg
  • His rear wheel hit a pothole and bounced up shortly before he reached the finish line. Possibly that if there was an air loss problem at all?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    The only machine which caused Cav to lose in Paris was the Teutonic machine to his left
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I think we need more like him, more needle, more in fighting.

I'm an F1 fan too and one of the gripes abount modern drivers is that they're just too polished, too media savy and tow the corporate comany line, gone are the days when the likes of Senna would try and chin another driver in the pit lane for cutting him up during qually, and mores the pity.

All sports need charcters, they add drama and give something extra to the specatcle, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to see or head about this.
  • binkybike
    binkybike wrote:
    This is a depressing attitude, why does he need to grow up? He doesn't like losing
    No-one likes losing, but it’s no excuse for being an insufferable idiot towards everyone and anyone. What’s depressing about expecting better from a champion?

The really depressing thing is that successful sportspeople now expect to be treated like prime donne, and that fans are okay with that. I’m not, not by a long chalk.

Screaming about the sponsor’s bike after losing, particularly in earshot of the press, isn’t exactly admirable behaviour.

It’s a shame so many Brits accept this kind of behaviour from their sporting heroes. One refreshing thing about Froome is that he has some manners. It has nothing to do with class, by the way, or at least it shouldn’t. I come from a factory village and I know to say thank-you and not swear in public.

I don't admire him for it, I just don't think it matters that much and if it helps him move on and deal with it then I see it as a good thing

I think it is a shame that some people expect our sporting heroes to be perfect human beings, everyone has their equilibrium knocked out of wack from time to time, I think people should be allowed to get out of their system in a way they seem fit provided they are big enough to apologise afterwards. Cav certainly gives his team mates lots of credit when he wins, rough with smooth etc etc... But I think swearing has a useful function so I doubt we will ever agree
  • ddraver
    UncleMonty wrote:

I'm an F1 fan too and one of the gripes abount modern drivers is that they're just too polished, too media savy and tow the corporate comany line, gone are the days when the likes of Senna would try and chin another driver in the pit lane for cutting him up during qually, and mores the pity.

All sports need charcters, they add drama and give something extra to the specatcle, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to see or head about this.

No different from the people who watch Jeremy Kyle to look down on people. Becasue Cav lost his temper, people think they re better than him...
    - @ddraver
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Crozza wrote:
    The only machine which caused Cav to lose in Paris was the Teutonic machine to his left

Cav wasn't in best position coming out of the last bend into the finish straight, if he had been he could have held off kittel, but kittel was too strong for Cav to overhaul haven given him a couple of bike lengths at that corner.

he did hit a huge pothle near the line, but he was already beaten then
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    UncleMonty wrote:

You're mixing up a sport and a parade. F1 is as fixed as WWE and therefore drivers are picked upon their PR looks/abilities as well as their driving abilities and winning mentalities.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    One refreshing thing about Froome is that he has some manners.

Froome is the total opposite of what I want to see from someone in the sport. Dull. Each to their own but I would rather hear what Cav and Wiggins are feeling than the super slick PR personna of Froome. On the bike he is exciting, off it is the Steve Davis of cycling.

I am not saying that cav has gone about it the right way but because of the way he is you do get far more candour from him in interviews and the like, not necessarily talking post race interviews here. He cares about the sport, his teammates and what he is achieving. He is driven and he has the kind of personality that rightly or wrongly make little dramas that keep up entertained between stages. I would quickly go off the sport if everyone was like froome.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I don't think that's Froome's PR persona. I think that's his actual real personality.

I reckon in the real world, you'd be friends with Froome, the other 2 are probably too much hard work
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

...On the bike he is exciting, off it is the Steve Davis of cycling.

Well put
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    iainf72 wrote:
    I don't think that's Froome's PR persona. I think that's his actual real personality.

I reckon in the real world, you'd be friends with Froome, the other 2 are probably too much hard work

Actually I totally agree, but I do want a little bit of drama with my cycling. Just my preference.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    iainf72 wrote:

Actually I totally agree, but I do want a little bit of drama with my cycling. Just my preference.
    Personality and petulance are two different things, and character is seldom measured by volume - except perhaps inversely.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ddraver wrote:
    binkybike wrote:

I thought his tantrum was earlier in the race? or are we talking about a second tantrum?
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Don't know if anyone heard Cav's interview on ITV4 but I though he was rather gracious. Basically said that he was in the position he wanted to be, where he'd asked his team to put him, moved onto the rougher line, pushed out 1,500 watts and which would normally be enough to see him win by a length. Absolutely calm as you like and Kittel was the better man on the day.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:
    binkybike wrote:

I thought his tantrum was earlier in the race? or are we talking about a second tantrum?

It was the post-St 6 tantrum, after he'd crashed and had to chase back on with 45k to go, and then his train evaporated in the final kms
  • ddraver
    feltkuota wrote:
    Don't know if anyone heard Cav's interview on ITV4 but I though he was rather gracious. Basically said that he was in the position he wanted to be, where he'd asked his team to put him, moved onto the rougher line, pushed out 1,500 watts and which would normally be enough to see him win by a length. Absolutely calm as you like and Kittel was the better man on the day.

Yeah but that's no fun is it, Cvndsh s ' wnkr is way more amusing...
    - @ddraver
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    If Cav isn't happy with his Venge then he's more than welcome to swap it for my allez; very kind of me I know.
  • binkybike
    ddraver wrote:
    binkybike wrote:

It was the post-St 6 tantrum, after he'd crashed and had to chase back on with 45k to go, and then his train evaporated in the final kms

Isn't it also the stage his team car ignored him? I'd be livid about that!
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    mfin wrote:

...On the bike he is exciting, off it is the Steve Davis of cycling.

Well put

You both have met Steve Davis then? I have, a few years ago, and he was a right laugh and a thoroughly nice bloke
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I'd like to see some more biffing rather than completely controlled PR talk.

A couple of years ago some Tour cyclists got into a scrap, it was great. (One waved a wheel, IIRC.) Their respective staffs separated them. And there's a You Tube clip somewhere of two cyclists biffing while out on the road. All the others pedal past them.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Coach H wrote:

You both have met Steve Davis then? I have, a few years ago, and he was a right laugh and a thoroughly nice bloke
    Of course he is - comes from South London, mate. (Plumstead)
    Difference with on table concentation and his off table behaviour.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Coach H wrote:

I saw him play an exhibition match back in the late 80s. He was very entertaining.
    Twitter: @RichN95