Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Gear ratio

Ace09xAce09x Posts: 13
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
What is the best gear ratio to get on a road bike I go up a lot of steep hills

• imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,969
    You haven't given people much to go on.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,190
    What chainset / gears do have already fitted. How hilly are we talking about, uk hills or Pyrenees style. I'm sure with extra info we can assist.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • 53x23
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ace09xAce09x Posts: 13
    no idea what gear ratio I already have because currently I have a hybrid bike but going to be upgrading to road bike looking to get up at least 15% gradients as I look for the steep hills I can,when I mean gear ratio I mean the rear cassete for example 11-25 or 11-28 12-30 only got back into cycling 6 months ago but am struggling to get up 15% gradient hills on my hybrid but am doing 4 hour+bike rides and need to be able to tackle everything possible
    looking at triple chainset/ tiagra gear system/carbon frame
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,551
    Ace09x wrote:
    looking at triple chainset/ tiagra gear system/carbon frame

With a triple chainset you should have the flexibility to use any of the 3 cassettes you mention in the post above.

if you want low ratios that will allow you to tackle anything ( within reason) then opt for the 12-30 - the Tiagra version is only £20 so if you don't like it after a bit then you can swap it for the 11-28 or 11-25. Your lowest ratio with the 11-25 would be 30/25 assuming it's a standard triple. This is equates to a ratio of 1.2:1 which is equivalent to 34/28 if you were using a compact (50/34) chainset instead of a triple.
  • SRAM wifli - 50-34 compact on the front 11-32 on the rear - check here for the ratios you are using already and you will see what you need to match or improve:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html
    thx very much for the help greatly appreciated
  • iwantblueiwantblue Posts: 134
    SRAM wifli - 50-34 compact on the front 11-32 on the rear - check here for the ratios you are using already and you will see what you need to match or improve:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html

Awsome, I was about to ask to be pointed to a calculator and here it is, Thanks :)