Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You haven't given people much to go on.
  • 53x23
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ace09x
    Ace09x Posts: 13
    no idea what gear ratio I already have because currently I have a hybrid bike but going to be upgrading to road bike looking to get up at least 15% gradients as I look for the steep hills I can,when I mean gear ratio I mean the rear cassete for example 11-25 or 11-28 12-30 only got back into cycling 6 months ago but am struggling to get up 15% gradient hills on my hybrid but am doing 4 hour+bike rides and need to be able to tackle everything possible
  • Ace09x
    looking at triple chainset/ tiagra gear system/carbon frame
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Ace09x wrote:
    looking at triple chainset/ tiagra gear system/carbon frame

With a triple chainset you should have the flexibility to use any of the 3 cassettes you mention in the post above.

if you want low ratios that will allow you to tackle anything ( within reason) then opt for the 12-30 - the Tiagra version is only £20 so if you don't like it after a bit then you can swap it for the 11-28 or 11-25. Your lowest ratio with the 11-25 would be 30/25 assuming it's a standard triple. This is equates to a ratio of 1.2:1 which is equivalent to 34/28 if you were using a compact (50/34) chainset instead of a triple.
  • SRAM wifli - 50-34 compact on the front 11-32 on the rear - check here for the ratios you are using already and you will see what you need to match or improve:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html
  • Ace09x
    thx very much for the help greatly appreciated
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    SRAM wifli - 50-34 compact on the front 11-32 on the rear - check here for the ratios you are using already and you will see what you need to match or improve:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html

Awsome, I was about to ask to be pointed to a calculator and here it is, Thanks :)