Rank the TdF teams

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2013 in Pro race
We all know no-one pays any attention to the team classification, so here is my ranking of how the teams performed, based on what was expected vs how much they delivered.

1. Sky - Accomplished what they set out to achieve... and in far better style than last year.
2. Movistar - 3 stage wins, 2 jerseys, and everyone is a little bit in love with Nairo Quintana.
3. OPQS - Good mix of wins on different terrain.
4. Argos - Kittel grabbed the headlines, plucky Ned Veelers grabbed our hearts.
5. Orica - Faded from view after week 1, but still punched way above their weight.
6. Katusha - J-Rod saved 'em.
7. Garmin - Talansky shows promise, Martin delivers, the usual crashiness.
8. Radioshack - Stage win, day in yellow, always on the attack. Schleck as expected.
9. Astana - Fuglsang did OK. That is literally my only opinion about Astana in this race.
10. Belkin - Continuing the fine Rabo tradition of their climbers collapsing in the 3rd week.
11. Saxo Tinkoff - 4th and 5th would be good for most teams, but disappointing for them.
12. AG2R - Riblon gets one of the most memorable wins of the race.
13. Lotto - Apart from Greipel's win and Hansen's drink, can't remember much from them.
14. Cannondale - Seems odd to say Sagan was disappointing... but Sagan was disappointing.
15. Europcar - Bit rubbish compared to last year.
16. Vacansoleil - Lots of attacks, zero results.
17. Euskaltel - No doomed mountain break would be complete without then.
18. Cofidis - They were sh.t, but slightly less sh.t than expected with Navarro 9th overall.
19. FDJ - They tried.
20. Sojasun - Barely remember seeing any of their riders.
21. Lampre - Oh, hello, here's our daily glimpse of the Lampre jersey as Cunego gets dropped.
22. BMC - Pretty embarrassing considering their budget and talent.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    1. Sky - although the team weren't quite as dominant as the 6 stage dream team from last year
    2. Movistar - Good stage wins, jerseys etc. Unlucky in the echelons but maybe that was for the best as they could focus on Quintana and stage wins rather than Valverde.
    3. Orica - The bus, the TTT, stage wins etc. Very good tour for them punching way above their weight - check out their vids on youtube too.

Its really hard to rank the rest to be honest since there are so many teams.

Argos, Radioshack, Garmin, OPQS, AG2R, Cannondale, Lotto, Belkin, and Katusha can all tick a few boxes due to stage wins, GC placings, jerseys etc.

But apart from that the rest of them were crap.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why does everyone call him Ned Veelers?

it's Tom Veelers?

Am I missing some kind of joke?
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Radioshack and Belkin would both be higher in my rankings. Orica are a bit high for my liking, but completely agree with BMC at the bottom of the list - other than TJ 's ride on AdH I'm struggling to think of another time they contributed to the race.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    We all know no-one pays any attention to the team classification, so here is my ranking of how the teams performed, based on what was expected vs how much they delivered.

1. Sky - Accomplished what they set out to achieve... and in far better style than last year.
    2. Movistar - 3 stage wins, 2 jerseys, and everyone is a little bit in love with Nairo Quintana.
    5. Orica - Faded from view after week 1, but still punched way above their weight.
    8. Radioshack - Stage win, day in yellow, always on the attack. Schleck as expected.
    9. Astana - Fuglsang did OK. That is literally my only opinion about Astana in this race.
    10. Belkin - Continuing the fine Rabo tradition of their climbers collapsing in the 3rd week.
    11. Saxo Tinkoff - 4th and 5th would be good for most teams, but disappointing for them.
    13. Lotto - Apart from Greipel's win and Hansen's drink, can't remember much from them.
    14. Cannondale - Seems odd to say Sagan was disappointing... but Sagan was disappointing.
    18. Cofidis - They were sh.t, but slightly less sh.t than expected with Navarro 9th overall.
    19. FDJ - They tried.
    21. Lampre - Oh, hello, here's our daily glimpse of the Lampre jersey as Cunego gets dropped.

I think Belkin and Saxo need to be higher.
  • afx237vi
    Maybe I was harsh on Belkin, but Saxo are about right. No way would Contador have taken 4th if you'd offered it to him in Corsica.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    That's a big task!

Top 8.

1. Movistar - had big unluck with Valverde getting knocked out of contention, but still got 2nd overall, KOM, White Jersey, 3 stage wins. Only negative is not making the most of the Froome isolation day.
    2. Sky - yellow Jersey. 3 stage wins. One terrible day, otherwise controlled the race pretty well even when diminished in numbers.
    3. Argos - Kittel.
    4. Garmin. Stage win. Top 10 in debut Tour for Talasnky - who got stronger as the race went. Instrumental in causing the Froome isolation. Attacking every day.
    5. OPQS - 4 (?) stage wins, with 3 different riders. Train only really functioned once for Cav. Kwiatkowski impressive.
    6. Orica - Great start with two wins, but not much since.
    7. Saxo - 4th and 5th. Tried some stuff, but none of it worked.
    8. Belkin - Brilliant first two weeks for their GC men; not so good final week.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Astana ninth and Cofidis eighteenth? All things considered, budget/expectations/talent, a bit harsh no?
    'fool'
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    All things considered, Saxo were god awful.
  • afx237vi
    Astana ninth and Cofidis eighteenth? All things considered, budget/expectations/talent, a bit harsh no?

You might be right about Cofidis, but Navarro got his GC place without anyone actually seeing him on TV and what else did they do? The only rider I remember seeing was Maté, and only then because of his crazy hair.

I expected Astana to be mediocre. They were mediocre.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    1. Movistar - Team seemed to have strenght in depth and riders able to compete in any stage.
    2. Argos - Surprise package for me with Kittel grabbing 3 stages (so far)
    3. Orica - Very good first week, and the bus incident and the behind scenes vids on You of the Tube are great
    4. Sky - Froome, say no more, has delivered what was expected. Ritchie Porte a superb lieutenant for Froome. But think they need to have a re-think over team selection. If it wasn't for Porte the outcome would have been quite different.
    5. Europcar - Limited budget, good value for money, love watching Voecker and Roland. I wonder if Roland will move to pastures new.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    edited July 2013
    Mr Goo wrote:
    1. Movistar - Team seemed to have strenght in depth and riders able to compete in any stage.
    2. Argos - Surprise package for me with Kittel grabbing 3 stages (so far)
    3. Orica - Very good first week, and the bus incident and the behind scenes vids on You of the Tube are great
    4. Sky - Froome, say no more, has delivered what was expected. Ritchie Porte a superb lieutenant for Froome. But think they need to have a re-think over team selection. If it wasn't for Porte the outcome would have been quite different.
    5. Europcar - Limited budget, good value for money, love watching Voecker and Roland. I wonder if Roland will move to pastures new.

The trouble with panning Sky's team selection, that unless you watch every minute of every stage most of us have no idea. Apart from the last couple of stages when Movistar, Katusha and Saxo Bank have had something to race for Sky have had to sit on the front practically every stage for two weeks. When you only have 7 riders and 2 of those got clattered on the first stage that's quite a big ask.

By the time the TV coverage has started they'll have been racing 2-3 hours and it's likely that 2 of those 7 riders will have had it for the day. Every other team can tuck in behind them. Last year Sky had 8 riders most of the Tour and they were all fit for all/most of the race, even Cav did bottle duties and pulled along at the front.

I'd go with most of the original selection except drop down Orica a place or two, drop Astana and move up Belkin and Saxo.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    afx237vi wrote:

You might be right about Cofidis, but Navarro got his GC place without anyone actually seeing him on TV and what else did they do? The only rider I remember seeing was Maté, and only then because of his crazy hair.

I expected Astana to be mediocre. They were mediocre.

Astana as a team were utter pants. Fuglsang's 7th place isn't so much their saving grace as a monument to him getting the job done by himself. Personally I'd be happy to put Astana at the bottom and count Fuglsang as a separate one man team.

Orica might deserve a little more as well, Tuft took over from Ned Veelers in our hearts.

Can't really rate the sprint teams until tomorrow is done and dusted though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Rating the teams. So an excellent performance by one individual not as good as multiple decent performances.

1. Movistar - Just about forgiven for fumbling their advantage on stage 9. In a bizarre way the nightmare in the crosswinds probably benefited them. Costa wouldn't have got his wins and they wouldn't have got any higher on GC.
    2. AG2R - Riblon, Bardet and Peraud all confirmed themselves as stars. Nearly always in the break and second in the team competition reflecting super performances from the whole team.
    3. Saxo Tinkoff - Contador was a disappointment but overall, clearly one of the strongest teams in the race as evidenced by the team win and the placings of AC and RK.
    4. OPQS - 4 stage wins from 3 different riders. Got to be happy with that.
    5. Radioshack - Bakelants and Jens starred but those revolting Treks seemed to be wherever the action was.
    6. Orica - An awesome first week and Simon Clarke showed himself in the second.
    8. Belkin - Massive kudos for forcing the split on stage 13 along with OPQS and for having two guys in contention for so long. Rode as though they meant it but just fell away in the final week.
    9. Garmin - Went some way to creating the promised chaos particularly on stage 9. Talansky, Martin and Hesjedal were prominent. The rest, not so much.
    10. Sky - Yes, Froome won the overall but, as a team, they contributed little.
    11. Cannondale - Sagan was disappointing but their demolition of the sprinters on stage 7 was epic and a team effort.
    12. Argos - Quite a low placing considering they won 3 stages but as a team were pretty much anonymous except for the end of sprint stages.
    13. Katusha - Can't recall who was riding for them apart from Purito.
    14. Astana - Very unlucky to have so many withdrawals. Fuglsang did a great job virtually solo.
    15. Lotto - Greipel got them a stage win but otherwise anonymous.
    16. Europcar - Rolland's KOM attempt go them lots of coverage and omnipresent in the breakswithout really achieving anything much.
    17. Cofidis - Navarro knows how to get in the right break. 9th on GC. Otherwise anonymous.
    18. Euskaltel - Nieve's crack at the KOM rescued them from almost total oblivion.
    19. FDJ - Seriously unlucky with Bouhani's abandon through injury and Thibaut's crisis of confidence. Lost all sense of direction.
    20. Sojasun - Simon's push for glory was their one moment. Apart from that, anonymous. Wildcard should have gone to BSE instead
    21. BMC - TJVG's efforts in the final few mountain stages elevates them above last position. Just.
    22. Lampre - Shocking. Really shocking.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I was going to do my own thread of end of Tour reports (as your can probably guess I prepared it), but I'll join in here:

A Sky - Back to back GC wins. Three stage wins. Still the top team despite frailties. Hit and miss in the face of the media inquisition.

A Movistar - On the podium, white jersey, KOM winner, three stage wins, even Valverde bounced back well from the echelon disaster.

A Argos - still relative newcomers at this level and one trick ponies. But that trick paid off in spades with three stage wins. Please go to collection point A.

A- Omega Pharma - four stage wins, only one from a bunch sprint, and a good GC finish for the emerging Polish Mike. The minus is because with Cavendish and this course they will have hoped for even more.

B Orica - They seemed like a three week Aussie Stag do. They crashed the bus, they played air guitar to AC/DC, but they also won two stages and had two yellow jersey wearers along the way. They have to wonder why the best Aussie talents are elsewhere though.

B AG2R - Could have been a disaster with Peraud's crash, but at least he was up there and Riblon won the queen stage. Sponsorship renewed. A good month's work.

B Cannondale - Green Jersey and a stage win, but it's step down from last year.

C Garmin - Dan Martin's stage was the highlight, but he remains too fragile to be a contender. They were visible, except Talansky who unseen sneaked into the top ten - a very good debut result

C Saxo - Sure they came fourth and fifth, but that will be a disappointment to them. No stage win but did claim the team prize.

C Katusha - High budget team, medium budget results. Nothing beyond Purito's late podium charge saving the day.

C Radioshack - they owe this grade to Jan Bakelants. The rest of the team was a D at best.

C Cofidis - I'm their biggest critic, but a top ten for a wild card team is decent work

C Lotto - Andre bagged a stage win but they will have seen this as a disappointment. Unfortunate to lose JVDB

C Belkin - Mollema clung on to a top ten and LTD cleaned up on Strava, but in the end not much to show for their efforts.

D+ Europcar - they were very visible in the first week which got them two more year's sponsorship, which may have been the main objective - but little actual achievement

D Astana - I'm not sure Fuglsang's top ten, while good, really cuts the mustard for a big budget team. At least they got an A at the Giro.

D Sojasun - little was expected and little was delivered, although Simon was good value on one stage.

E Euskatel - A team on the edge of extinction, but beyond Nieve they couldn't rustle up anything of note

E Lampre - never has bright pink been so inconspicuous. It seemed like they were hiding from the cops

E FDJ - usually they can be relied on to make themselves seen, but Pinot's descending fears were their headline act. Not even a combativity award.

E Vacansoleil - Can you remember anything they did? They have some decent riders. A Giro podium rider picking up a red number is a poor return.

F BMC - Sackings all round and a major rethink is required. Proof that money is only relevant if you spend it well
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

it's Tom Veelers?

Because on various trackers and things they list your nationality, last name, first name so it looks like NED, VEELERS, Tom. Or at least that's what I thought.

As to the team rankings, I'd put Belkin higher, I think they did pretty well even with the collapse. Who foresaw a top 10 for Mollema really? And their cross wind riding was ace. Plus they have a nice jersey.

Last place is a tie between Lampre, did they even get in a break? And BMC.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

it's Tom Veelers?

Cos its always written as Veelers NED ?? ;)

I think Sagan/Cannondale did ok given that there was not a single stage finish that suited him!

Edit - Damn your lightening fingers AtC
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    afx237vi wrote:

19. FDJ - They tried.

In my view OPQS underperformed. Tony did what he was supposed to do, but with *only* 2 stages so far Cavendish was below my expectations.

Not sure you can have it both ways, Sky doing what was expected earning them top rank yet Sagan dominating the Green Jersey comp despite being the fourth best sprinter (and that's being generous) only meriting 14th.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm wrote:

They won the GC, won the second most stages of any team, they finished 2nd in the KoM, they blew apart the contenders on stage 8, one of their riders completed it with a broken pelvis, three different riders (not including their TTT, which also finished top 3) had top 3 stage finishes, they were at the front nearly every day, they didn't just defend the yellow jersey but saw them attack to increase their advantage.

Are you marking them down for not doing wheelies on the top of mountains or for their team bus not parking on the finishing line?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    DeadCalm wrote:

They won the GC, won the second most stages of any team, they finished 2nd in the KoM, they blew apart the contenders on stage 8, one of their riders completed it with a broken pelvis, three different riders (not including their TTT, which also finished top 3) had top 3 stage finishes, they were at the front nearly every day, they didn't just defend the yellow jersey but saw them attack to increase their advantage.

Are you marking them down for not doing wheelies on the top of mountains or for their team bus not parking on the finishing line?

+1

Prejudice much?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Agree with your top 5 but would probably swap Sky and Movistar as 1 & 2, just because I think Movistar probably had lower expectations and achieved so much. Sky would have seen anything less than GC as a failure, I think. As someone who was not a huge fan of the Sky machine before I have really warmed to them this year, I might even buy a jersey :oops: - Froome and Porte were absolutely outstanding.
    I had Cofidis down as a non-entity this year but can't believe they have sneaked a rider into the top ten - shades of Zubeldia last year - no one saw him for three weeks but he finished high up on GC. FDJ were another team who did very little but Lampre must take the biscuit for being almost invisible, which isn't easy in that kit.
    A little disappointed in Garmin, expected a bit more from them but I agree there will/should be changes at BMC - very poor display from them.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Outsider art by Loan
    edited July 2013
    I wrote a program to search the spoiler threads and report the results. Obviously there will be some false positives and negatives, and in the newer threads some posts might not yet have been indexed, but it looks about right, so whatever. Quoted words count.

Teams. Totals up top, by stage below:
    edit: fixed some things, added 'oge' and 'opqs'.
    sky: 945 (29.95%)
    movi|movistar: 358 (11.35%)
    saxo|saxobank: 345 (10.94%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 251 (7.96%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 183 (5.8%)
    belkin: 170 (5.39%)
    garmin: 111 (3.52%)
    cannondale: 94 (2.98%)
    bmc: 91 (2.88%)
    argos: 87 (2.76%)
    cofidis: 80 (2.54%)
    fdj: 70 (2.22%)
    europcar: 66 (2.09%)
    lotto: 52 (1.65%)
    ag2r: 44 (1.39%)
    lampre: 38 (1.2%)
    radioshack|leopard: 34 (1.08%)
    katusha: 30 (0.95%)
    astana: 29 (0.92%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 27 (0.86%)
    vacansoleil: 26 (0.82%)
    sojasun: 24 (0.76%)
    Stage 1
    ag2r: 0 (0%)
    astana: 0 (0%)
    belkin: 5 (6.02%)
    bmc: 1 (1.2%)
    cannondale: 1 (1.2%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 0 (0%)
    fdj: 4 (4.82%)
    garmin: 0 (0%)
    katusha: 0 (0%)
    lampre: 0 (0%)
    lotto: 2 (2.41%)
    movi|movistar: 0 (0%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 9 (10.84%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 38 (45.78%)
    radioshack|leopard: 9 (10.84%)
    argos: 0 (0%)
    saxo|saxobank: 2 (2.41%)
    vacansoleil: 0 (0%)
    sky: 8 (9.64%)
    cofidis: 3 (3.61%)
    europcar: 1 (1.2%)
    sojasun: 0 (0%)
    Stage 2
    ag2r: 1 (1.85%)
    belkin: 0 (0%)
    bmc: 0 (0%)
    cannondale: 3 (5.56%)
    fdj: 6 (11.11%)
    garmin: 6 (11.11%)
    lotto: 0 (0%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 3 (5.56%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 1 (1.85%)
    radioshack|leopard: 0 (0%)
    argos: 5 (9.26%)
    saxo|saxobank: 0 (0%)
    sky: 26 (48.15%)
    cofidis: 0 (0%)
    europcar: 3 (5.56%)
    Stage 3
    ag2r: 7 (4.93%)
    astana: 3 (2.11%)
    belkin: 5 (3.52%)
    bmc: 7 (4.93%)
    cannondale: 4 (2.82%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 1 (0.7%)
    fdj: 3 (2.11%)
    garmin: 7 (4.93%)
    katusha: 3 (2.11%)
    lampre: 3 (2.11%)
    lotto: 3 (2.11%)
    movi|movistar: 5 (3.52%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 6 (4.23%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 15 (10.56%)
    radioshack|leopard: 6 (4.23%)
    argos: 3 (2.11%)
    saxo|saxobank: 8 (5.63%)
    vacansoleil: 7 (4.93%)
    sky: 28 (19.72%)
    cofidis: 4 (2.82%)
    europcar: 7 (4.93%)
    sojasun: 7 (4.93%)
    Stage 4
    ag2r: 6 (1.62%)
    astana: 6 (1.62%)
    belkin: 7 (1.89%)
    bmc: 10 (2.7%)
    cannondale: 15 (4.05%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 7 (1.89%)
    fdj: 6 (1.62%)
    garmin: 34 (9.19%)
    katusha: 6 (1.62%)
    lampre: 9 (2.43%)
    lotto: 15 (4.05%)
    movi|movistar: 20 (5.41%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 47 (12.7%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 52 (14.05%)
    radioshack|leopard: 8 (2.16%)
    argos: 14 (3.78%)
    saxo|saxobank: 30 (8.11%)
    vacansoleil: 5 (1.35%)
    sky: 45 (12.16%)
    cofidis: 7 (1.89%)
    europcar: 15 (4.05%)
    sojasun: 6 (1.62%)
    Stage 5
    cannondale: 7 (9.33%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 2 (2.67%)
    fdj: 0 (0%)
    garmin: 5 (6.67%)
    katusha: 1 (1.33%)
    lampre: 1 (1.33%)
    lotto: 6 (8%)
    movi|movistar: 1 (1.33%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 14 (18.67%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 9 (12%)
    argos: 4 (5.33%)
    saxo|saxobank: 0 (0%)
    sky: 11 (14.67%)
    cofidis: 5 (6.67%)
    europcar: 7 (9.33%)
    sojasun: 2 (2.67%)
    Stage 6
    belkin: 3 (5.36%)
    bmc: 1 (1.79%)
    cannondale: 3 (5.36%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 1 (1.79%)
    lotto: 4 (7.14%)
    movi|movistar: 2 (3.57%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 14 (25%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 8 (14.29%)
    argos: 2 (3.57%)
    saxo|saxobank: 1 (1.79%)
    sky: 10 (17.86%)
    cofidis: 5 (8.93%)
    europcar: 2 (3.57%)
    Stage 7
    ag2r: 1 (0.91%)
    astana: 2 (1.82%)
    cannondale: 32 (29.09%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 3 (2.73%)
    fdj: 1 (0.91%)
    garmin: 6 (5.45%)
    lampre: 1 (0.91%)
    lotto: 10 (9.09%)
    movi|movistar: 1 (0.91%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 14 (12.73%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 8 (7.27%)
    radioshack|leopard: 1 (0.91%)
    argos: 5 (4.55%)
    saxo|saxobank: 1 (0.91%)
    vacansoleil: 1 (0.91%)
    sky: 22 (20%)
    europcar: 1 (0.91%)
    Stage 8
    ag2r: 4 (3.12%)
    belkin: 6 (4.69%)
    cannondale: 0 (0%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 1 (0.78%)
    fdj: 1 (0.78%)
    garmin: 2 (1.56%)
    lampre: 1 (0.78%)
    movi|movistar: 10 (7.81%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 1 (0.78%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 0 (0%)
    radioshack|leopard: 1 (0.78%)
    saxo|saxobank: 8 (6.25%)
    vacansoleil: 1 (0.78%)
    sky: 86 (67.19%)
    cofidis: 5 (3.91%)
    europcar: 0 (0%)
    sojasun: 1 (0.78%)
    Stage 9
    ag2r: 1 (0.47%)
    astana: 1 (0.47%)
    belkin: 3 (1.42%)
    bmc: 5 (2.36%)
    garmin: 12 (5.66%)
    katusha: 1 (0.47%)
    lampre: 1 (0.47%)
    movi|movistar: 84 (39.62%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 1 (0.47%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 1 (0.47%)
    radioshack|leopard: 1 (0.47%)
    saxo|saxobank: 18 (8.49%)
    sky: 83 (39.15%)
    Stage 10
    euskaltel|euskadi: 4 (4.3%)
    lotto: 1 (1.08%)
    movi|movistar: 4 (4.3%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 13 (13.98%)
    argos: 15 (16.13%)
    saxo|saxobank: 4 (4.3%)
    vacansoleil: 3 (3.23%)
    sky: 27 (29.03%)
    cofidis: 11 (11.83%)
    europcar: 7 (7.53%)
    sojasun: 4 (4.3%)
    Stage 11
    ag2r: 3 (1.96%)
    belkin: 8 (5.23%)
    bmc: 1 (0.65%)
    cannondale: 4 (2.61%)
    fdj: 7 (4.58%)
    garmin: 3 (1.96%)
    katusha: 2 (1.31%)
    lotto: 2 (1.31%)
    movi|movistar: 9 (5.88%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 11 (7.19%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 10 (6.54%)
    argos: 2 (1.31%)
    saxo|saxobank: 15 (9.8%)
    vacansoleil: 1 (0.65%)
    sky: 74 (48.37%)
    europcar: 1 (0.65%)
    Stage 12
    belkin: 2 (4.35%)
    fdj: 2 (4.35%)
    garmin: 1 (2.17%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 9 (19.57%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 1 (2.17%)
    radioshack|leopard: 1 (2.17%)
    argos: 9 (19.57%)
    saxo|saxobank: 2 (4.35%)
    vacansoleil: 1 (2.17%)
    sky: 17 (36.96%)
    europcar: 1 (2.17%)
    Stage 13
    ag2r: 4 (0.82%)
    astana: 4 (0.82%)
    belkin: 70 (14.34%)
    bmc: 9 (1.84%)
    cannondale: 2 (0.41%)
    fdj: 1 (0.2%)
    garmin: 5 (1.02%)
    katusha: 5 (1.02%)
    lampre: 1 (0.2%)
    lotto: 7 (1.43%)
    movi|movistar: 62 (12.7%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 67 (13.73%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 3 (0.61%)
    argos: 13 (2.66%)
    saxo|saxobank: 114 (23.36%)
    sky: 114 (23.36%)
    cofidis: 1 (0.2%)
    europcar: 3 (0.61%)
    sojasun: 3 (0.61%)
    Stage 14
    ag2r: 3 (4.17%)
    belkin: 10 (13.89%)
    bmc: 1 (1.39%)
    cannondale: 13 (18.06%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 1 (1.39%)
    fdj: 1 (1.39%)
    garmin: 3 (4.17%)
    lampre: 2 (2.78%)
    lotto: 2 (2.78%)
    movi|movistar: 3 (4.17%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 13 (18.06%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 3 (4.17%)
    argos: 1 (1.39%)
    saxo|saxobank: 2 (2.78%)
    sky: 9 (12.5%)
    cofidis: 3 (4.17%)
    europcar: 2 (2.78%)
    Stage 15
    ag2r: 1 (0.4%)
    astana: 2 (0.8%)
    belkin: 14 (5.62%)
    bmc: 2 (0.8%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 1 (0.4%)
    fdj: 2 (0.8%)
    garmin: 6 (2.41%)
    katusha: 1 (0.4%)
    lampre: 1 (0.4%)
    movi|movistar: 51 (20.48%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 10 (4.02%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 14 (5.62%)
    radioshack|leopard: 2 (0.8%)
    saxo|saxobank: 17 (6.83%)
    sky: 116 (46.59%)
    europcar: 8 (3.21%)
    sojasun: 1 (0.4%)
    Stage 16
    ag2r: 3 (1.24%)
    astana: 10 (4.13%)
    belkin: 15 (6.2%)
    bmc: 13 (5.37%)
    cannondale: 10 (4.13%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 5 (2.07%)
    fdj: 20 (8.26%)
    garmin: 12 (4.96%)
    katusha: 6 (2.48%)
    lampre: 4 (1.65%)
    movi|movistar: 26 (10.74%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 5 (2.07%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 10 (4.13%)
    radioshack|leopard: 4 (1.65%)
    argos: 14 (5.79%)
    saxo|saxobank: 21 (8.68%)
    vacansoleil: 7 (2.89%)
    sky: 36 (14.88%)
    cofidis: 20 (8.26%)
    europcar: 1 (0.41%)
    Stage 17
    belkin: 3 (5.26%)
    bmc: 6 (10.53%)
    fdj: 1 (1.75%)
    lampre: 1 (1.75%)
    movi|movistar: 8 (14.04%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 0 (0%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 2 (3.51%)
    saxo|saxobank: 10 (17.54%)
    sky: 23 (40.35%)
    cofidis: 3 (5.26%)
    Stage 18
    ag2r: 1 (0.36%)
    belkin: 15 (5.38%)
    bmc: 9 (3.23%)
    fdj: 10 (3.58%)
    garmin: 1 (0.36%)
    katusha: 3 (1.08%)
    lampre: 3 (1.08%)
    movi|movistar: 44 (15.77%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 4 (1.43%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 3 (1.08%)
    saxo|saxobank: 61 (21.86%)
    sky: 121 (43.37%)
    cofidis: 3 (1.08%)
    europcar: 1 (0.36%)
    Stage 19
    ag2r: 7 (4.4%)
    astana: 1 (0.63%)
    belkin: 4 (2.52%)
    bmc: 20 (12.58%)
    euskaltel|euskadi: 1 (0.63%)
    fdj: 5 (3.14%)
    garmin: 6 (3.77%)
    katusha: 2 (1.26%)
    lampre: 8 (5.03%)
    movi|movistar: 13 (8.18%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 9 (5.66%)
    oge|orica|greenedge: 5 (3.14%)
    saxo|saxobank: 20 (12.58%)
    sky: 43 (27.04%)
    cofidis: 9 (5.66%)
    europcar: 6 (3.77%)
    Stage 20
    ag2r: 2 (2.3%)
    bmc: 6 (6.9%)
    garmin: 2 (2.3%)
    lampre: 2 (2.3%)
    movi|movistar: 15 (17.24%)
    opqs|omega|quickstep|"quick-step": 1 (1.15%)
    radioshack|leopard: 1 (1.15%)
    saxo|saxobank: 11 (12.64%)
    sky: 46 (52.87%)
    cofidis: 1 (1.15%)

For fun. Say it enough times and it loses all meaning. :lol:
    total:
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 400 (0.04 per post)
    Stage 1 - flat
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 4 (0.01 per post)
    Stage 2 - med-mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 0 (0 per post)
    Stage 3 - med-mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 1 (0 per post)
    Stage 4 - ttt
    Stage 5 - flat
    Stage 6 - flat
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 2 (0.01 per post)
    Stage 7 - flat
    Stage 8 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 24 (0.05 per post)
    Stage 9 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 18 (0.04 per post)
    Stage 10 - flat
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 12 (0.02 per post)
    Stage 11 - itt
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 52 (0.07 per post)
    Stage 12 - flat
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 14 (0.04 per post)
    Stage 13 - flat
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 15 (0.02 per post)
    Stage 14 - med-mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 4 (0.01 per post)
    Stage 15 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 99 (0.11 per post)
    Stage 16 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 86 (0.11 per post)
    Stage 17 - itt
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 23 (0.03 per post)
    Stage 18 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 9 (0.01 per post)
    Stage 19 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 22 (0.03 per post)
    Stage 20 - mtn
    doping|dope|dopes|doped|doper: 12 (0.02 per post)

1968, human content on bitumen.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I wrote a program to search the spoiler threads and report the results. Obviously there will be some false positives and negatives, and in the newer threads some posts might not yet have been indexed, but it looks about right, so whatever. Quoted words count.

Impressive effort. Not quite sure what it all means but an almost Sky-like scientific approach.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • For me Sky were the best team, they came with a job to do and did it; it wasn't particularly enjoyable at times but they were certainly the most professional outfit at the race. They get slagged off for it by some but after all, when all is said and done, it's their job to get results. The best team for entertaining racing was Movistar, Quintana & Rojas especially. Eurocar disappointed me, probably because I am a huge fan and always want them to do something special at the Tour. By far the worst overall was BMC, bet the money men are just over the moon with their tepid showing!!
  • rick_chasey
    I like how BMC are high in the mentions list.

Presumably everyone going "Dooogshiiiit"
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    afx237vi wrote:
    19. FDJ - They tried.

not bad

BUT astana way too high

they hardly turned up to the race with a team that could be bothered to start with..then they all crashed out or did fff all. zil points for not even caring

I just get the impression it was all about the giro for them. move astana down to 20 everyone above gets a promotion

lampre and bmc reverse positions...yeah bmc big budget flops but they tried a fair few times..lampre were hoping a hole would appear in the road and swallow them up.

garmin and katusha swap places. Garmin set the tone for the aggressive madness that followed for the rest of the race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    How come you guys are so down on Belkin.

What were you expecting?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    How come you guys are so down on Belkin.

What were you expecting?

mollema to finish in the top 10?....

you could shove them up a place or 2 for being pro active on the flat crosswind stage.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Rating the teams. So an excellent performance by one individual not as good as multiple decent performances.

1. Movistar - Just about forgiven for fumbling their advantage on stage 9. In a bizarre way the nightmare in the crosswinds probably benefited them. Costa wouldn't have got his wins and they wouldn't have got any higher on GC.
    2. AG2R - Riblon, Bardet and Peraud all confirmed themselves as stars. Nearly always in the break and second in the team competition reflecting super performances from the whole team.
    3. Saxo Tinkoff - Contador was a disappointment but overall, clearly one of the strongest teams in the race as evidenced by the team win and the placings of AC and RK.
    4. OPQS - 4 stage wins from 3 different riders. Got to be happy with that.
    5. Radioshack - Bakelants and Jens starred but those revolting Treks seemed to be wherever the action was.
    6. Orica - An awesome first week and Simon Clarke showed himself in the second.
    8. Belkin - Massive kudos for forcing the split on stage 13 along with OPQS and for having two guys in contention for so long. Rode as though they meant it but just fell away in the final week.
    9. Garmin - Went some way to creating the promised chaos particularly on stage 9. Talansky, Martin and Hesjedal were prominent. The rest, not so much.
    11. Cannondale - Sagan was disappointing but their demolition of the sprinters on stage 7 was epic and a team effort.
    12. Argos - Quite a low placing considering they won 3 stages but as a team were pretty much anonymous except for the end of sprint stages.
    13. Katusha - Can't recall who was riding for them apart from Purito.
    14. Astana - Very unlucky to have so many withdrawals. Fuglsang did a great job virtually solo.
    15. Lotto - Greipel got them a stage win but otherwise anonymous.
    16. Europcar - Rolland's KOM attempt go them lots of coverage and omnipresent in the breakswithout really achieving anything much.
    17. Cofidis - Navarro knows how to get in the right break. 9th on GC. Otherwise anonymous.
    18. Euskaltel - Nieve's crack at the KOM rescued them from almost total oblivion.
    19. FDJ - Seriously unlucky with Bouhani's abandon through injury and Thibaut's crisis of confidence. Lost all sense of direction.
    20. Sojasun - Simon's push for glory was their one moment. Apart from that, anonymous. Wildcard should have gone to BSE instead
    21. BMC - TJVG's efforts in the final few mountain stages elevates them above last position. Just.
    22. Lampre - Shocking. Really shocking.

I'm more in agreement with this one. Movistar were the best. Sky weren't as good as last year when they totally dominated, saved by Porte and Froome.

And although BMC were dire, you could be forgiven for thinking that Lampre had pulled out before the start. Perhaps next year they should take off Bilbo's ring.

AG2R were exciting and Riblon's win was one of the highlights for me.

Not sure that Sagan was disappointing, he won by a mile, and he's not as fast as the 2 Germans and Cav at sprints. He played the game very well after an early crash.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    RichN95 wrote:

C Garmin - Dan Martin's stage was the highlight, but he remains too fragile to be a contender. They were visible, except Talansky who unseen sneaked into the top ten - a very good debut result

C Radioshack - they owe this grade to Jan Bakelants. The rest of the team was a D at best.

Not sure why you are so down on Radioshack, I'd probably rank them above Garmin. As well as Jan's win (and infectious personality) they were also active in the last week with Jensie and Klödi attacking. Klödi might try to be anonymous so you might not have noticed he finished 4th in Gap and 2nd on the other stage Rui Costa won. Those smurf bikes were not nice though!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Teams ranked by their earnings at the Tour:

Sky Procycling - €525,690
    Movistar Team - €344,980
    Team Saxo-Tinkoff - €205,780
    Katusha Team - €134,900
    Omega Pharma-Quick Step €121,260
    AG2R La Mondiale - €102,910
    Cannondale - €79,110
    RadioShack-Leopard - €63,210
    Team Argos-Shimano - €52,910
    Belkin Pro Cycling - €52,260
    Vacansoleil-DCM - €48,030
    Garmin-Sharp - €45,930
    Orica-GreenEdge - €44,670
    Lotto-Belisol - €42,950
    Team Europcar - €40,170
    Astana Pro Team - €26,540
    Euskaltel-Euskadi - €23,890
    BMC Racing Team - €17,710
    Sojasun - €15,220
    Cofidis, Solutions Credits - €14,710
    FDJ.fr - €12,890
    Lampre-Merida - €11,180

French teams, except AG2R, were poor. Also BMC, Euskatel and Astana.

But Lampre's earnings confirm how utterly useless they were. And I don't think that they have a particularly good excuse... I'd be very unimpressed if I was Merida... not to mention the Mantova charges.