Which long drop brakes?

2»

Comments

• I've just replaced the Tektro front brake on my road bike with a Shimano R650 caliper. I was kind of worried that it wouldn't make much difference but they're like chalk and cheese. Being an ex-MTBer I was distinctly unimpressed with road caliper brakes but this has totally changed my mind, it's awesome.
  • A long term update from the start of the thread when I was complaining about my Tektro R539 on my Kinesis T2 being ineffective at stopping and suffering from rusting of springs, pivot bolts etc:

I soon changed to Shimano R650 brakes, same pads as before, same rims, and the difference was very noticeable in terms of stopping power. They feel less flexy, for want of a better term, compared to the Tektros, and they have also survived well over a year of wet weather riding, with little cleaning, without any rusting.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Back from the dead thread!

I still run 650s on the distance bike, but for something different, I am trying Velo Orange Grand Cru deep drops on the fixed. They look amazing and might, just might, be better than 650s. I've only done about 900km on them, so bit too early to tell, and no really bad weather experience yet.

They do look well boss though.
  • How about some TRP RG957's?

Anyone tried them? Quite expensive, but look nice (BTW I'm using an R650 on the front at the mo and works great).

http://road.cc/content/review/115645-tr ... rop-brakes

TRP%20RG957%20Deep%20Drop%20Brakes%20-%20on%20bike%201.JPG
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I may well change from my current Tektro R737 brakes to the above TRP RG957 when my current pads wear out. I have been toying with the idea of getting a disc equipped bike. However, I really like my Kinesis and may look to optimise it as far as possible instead. Better brakes are something that would always be welcome.

I have seen them for a penny under £100 at Condor Cycles, which is tempting.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I'm hoping to optimise the braking on my Tk by replacing the OEM all-in-one moulded brake blocks with some 5800 cartridges / inserts. I'll let you know when I get round to fitting them...
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    holiver wrote:
    I may well change from my current Tektro R737 brakes to the above TRP RG957 when my current pads wear out. I have been toying with the idea of getting a disc equipped bike. However, I really like my Kinesis and may look to optimise it as far as possible instead. Better brakes are something that would always be welcome.

I have seen them for a penny under £100 at Condor Cycles, which is tempting.

I use the TRP's and rate them very highly. My winter bike brakes as well if not better than my ultegra equipped summer bikes. Under £100 is a good price as I paid about £140ish