Richie Porte

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Turfle wrote:
    I was actually wondering where SKY's line begins and ends ... clearly not the one on their back or bike ...

You mean if they're willing to do that, what else might they be willing to do?

Riders + teams getting fined for taking food after the cutoff is hardly an uncommon thing. Let's not pretend it's a slippery slope that ends with Porte and Froome in adjacent rooms, blood bags hanging on the walls.

In the eyes of the law is sampling the pick'n'mix any different to walking out the store with a faltscreen?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In the eyes of the law is sampling the pick'n'mix any different to walking out the store with a faltscreen?
    Yes it is. There's such a thing as proportionality. While technically they fall foul of the same law, the punishments are highly unlikely to be similar. In fact one won't be punished.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yes it is. There's such a thing as proportionality.

There is no such thing as sense of proportion on the internet ... Just ask 90% of the women on match.com ...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's open mic night here at BR.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    There were a couple of times when Porte clearly looked stronger than Froome and he accidentally dropped him while Froome looked grim. What Porte should have done then is ridden two or three bike lengths ahead of Froome while constantly looking back at him and motioning ostentatiously for Froome to get on his wheel. I'm sure Froome would have appreciated the gesture.

I so wanted this too but Porte doesn't have the same ego (an perhaps ruthless drive) as froome seems to have. Someone, either commentators or boardman, mentioned that perhaps today demonstrated to froome what his real job last year was about. It was a mirror of froome dropping wiggo except no team car had to tell Porte to back off and support his leader.

Purely selfless ride today and I would defo say he saved some time loss for froome. I think Quintana and Rodriquez are both going to fight hard for podium now and Porte is going to need o make sure he can carry on helping froome if today wasn't just about missing food and more about having put himself a bit too much into the red the last week.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Unlike Froome last year though, Porte really hasn't a chance at winning the overall.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    There were a couple of times when Porte clearly looked stronger than Froome and he accidentally dropped him while Froome looked grim. What Porte should have done then is ridden two or three bike lengths ahead of Froome while constantly looking back at him and motioning ostentatiously for Froome to get on his wheel. I'm sure Froome would have appreciated the gesture.
    Lollers.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    hahahah
  • He could show Orica Greenedge a thing or two about matesmanship, that's for sure.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    He needs to lead his own team.When I pick up the Euromillion cheque he's on my shopping list In fact,its time for a dream team list
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    nevman wrote:
    He needs to lead his own team.When I pick up the Euromillion cheque he's on my shopping list In fact,its time for a dream team list
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana
    And people thought Sky were trying to do too much with Wiggo + Cav in the same team! :) Would your team be going for a clean sweep of all the jerseys plus a bunch of stages???
  • Rather than booing Froome, could the crowd have been giving it some sort of 'Froooooooooooome' cheering ? Personally, I am inclined to think that they were indeed booing him, but given that his surname lends itself to cheering like that, I wonder if it could be that instead.

Regards,
    Gordon
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Rather than booing Froome, could the crowd have been giving it some sort of 'Froooooooooooome' cheering ? Personally, I am inclined to think that they were indeed booing him, but given that his surname lends itself to cheering like that, I wonder if it could be that instead.

Regards,
    Gordon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up4LTKxe0PA
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Unlike Froome last year though, Porte really hasn't a chance at winning the overall.

Mainly because he selflessly blew himself to pieces to support Froome on stage 9, otherwise I suspect he would have been top 10 still. Arguably Froome was never put in a position where Wiggins needed him to sacrifice everything last year as the team as a whole were far stronger.
  • adr82 wrote:
    Rather than booing Froome, could the crowd have been giving it some sort of 'Froooooooooooome' cheering ? Personally, I am inclined to think that they were indeed booing him, but given that his surname lends itself to cheering like that, I wonder if it could be that instead.

Regards,
    Gordon

:D
    Class !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Brits take booing far too seriously.

This is continental Europe. If you don't get booing it's barely a sport.

Sky play a good villain - especially if you are an old world cycling fan.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    adr82 wrote:

Regards,
    Gordon

Makes me think of Luuuuuuuke Donald

http://youtu.be/aQ606PyIzFk?t=49s
  • Rob Noall
    Rob Noall Posts: 14
    nevman wrote:
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana

You will need to allocate a few million to the PR budget.

Plan for long press conferences to answer Paul Kimmage's searching questions about some of your riders pasts.

Or perhaps Sir Bradley can script a pithy reply for you :)
  • RichN95.
    Rob Noall wrote:

Plan for long press conferences to answer Paul Kimmage's searching questions about some of your riders pasts.
    No, you'll be fine. Kimmage stated in a recent diary that he had stopped going to the press room in favour of drinking wine (I'm not making this up)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Lots of booing of Porte and Froome up the Alpe this afternoon.

Well, I think that is pretty poor form and I am no Sky fan.

But why? The whole thing is a panto, you have people dressed up as Spiderman etc, if you're not a fan of a rider / team why not show your displeasure? I mean, chewing on some grain and gobbing it on the riders a-la Italy in the 80's is a bit much but surely a bit of cheering / booing is is all part of the show?

Hey, each to there own. I support someone or something, but I don't find it necessary to hate someone or something to offset that support. There again If I was as p****d as most of the people on the Alp yesterday, who knows. :D
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    nevman wrote:
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana

Nice team, but short on domestiques.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Seems a top guy does Porte, every time he is interviewed I enjoy listening to him - seems a really nice bloke.

Hope he gets a bash at a Grand Tour GC next year with good support.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    nevman wrote:
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana
    Who are you putting forward as team leader (I assume you'll rotate for each GT)?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Who is Sky's GC man for the Vuelta?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Henao probably. Maybe Uran. Porte could be there.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:

Is Uran definitely leaving? Does that not put him on the naughty step?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Is Uran definitely leaving? Does that not put him on the naughty step?
    Yes, he's definitely going - but Sky aren't a team that have to worry about ranking points so they won't have a problem backing him - but Henao is more likely.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I boo'd Lance till I was blue in the face at the Tour a few years ago. I felt it was my own personal protest as I was surrounded by slobbering fanbois. Feel a bit vindicated now so I do :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mike6 wrote:
    nevman wrote:
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana

Steegmans. Waaay too inconsistent. Worse, he never knows if he is on a good day or bad day.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    mike6 wrote:
    nevman wrote:
    Porte
    Kittel
    Steegmans
    Rogers
    Kwiatkowski
    Rolland
    Sagan
    Kreuziger
    Quintana

Steegmans. Waaay too inconsistent. Worse, he never knows if he is on a good day or bad day.

My thoughts exactly, you can do better with your euromillions. Veelers?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition