Richie Porte

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited November 2014 in Pro race
I know there is an Alp D'huez stage thread but crikey how impressive was Porte today ?

Full support all day, rode himself into the ground for Froome and then dropped back to hassle Contador, he then went back up to help Froome.....popped back to the car to collect some gels, fed his boss and finished the stage.

Simply epic in my book.

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Has done a similar, if not better, job for Froome that Froome himself did for Wiggins last year. Still got work to do over the next couple of days though.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    And Porte looked strong today - will have legs for the following day's climbs. Froome will be ok as well after a bit of Kendal mint cake.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    If Bernie has the nicest face in the peloton then Porte has the nicest bum.

But no seriously, that was epic today. Great ride. Was still quite shocked by all the booing he and Froome were getting that was noticeable on the highlights just now.

EDIT - Now I don't like it when people do this normally, but in honour of Titchy Richie's great ride today may I make a polite request that we spell his name correctly in the thread title. I'm also thinking about RideOnTime here...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    To be honest Porte was a legend for Wiggo last year too - he and Michael Rogers did much of the unsung leg work that delivered Sir Brad to victory, and the pair were acknowledged by Mrs Wiggo as the main contributing factor to hubby's victory....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Froome vs Porte vs Quintana. That would have been a good race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    To be honest Porte was a legend for Wiggo last year too - he and Michael Rogers did much of the unsung leg work that delivered Sir Brad to victory, and the pair were acknowledged by Mrs Wiggo as the main contributing factor to hubby's victory....
    Rogers is going well again - 8th on GC
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549

EDIT - Now I don't like it when people do this normally, but in honour of Titchy Richie's great ride today may I make a polite request that we spell his name correctly in the thread title. I'm also thinking about RideOnTime here...

Good point, well made :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Rogers is going well again - 8th on GC

30% of the top 10 is Saxo riders.

In other news, am I the only person who a) wasn't surprised at booing and b) didn't see a problem with it?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    iainf72 wrote:
    In other news, am I the only person who a) wasn't surprised at booing and b) didn't see a problem with it?

I'm not surprised at some booing, it was more the amount of it. I do have a problem with it in that I think it's disrespectful and not something I could ever see myself actually doing, no matter how much I hated a rider. I just admire any Tour rider enough (whoever they are and whatever they've done) not to boo them as they're busting their proverbials going up a climb.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Who was booed and when? I take it we're not talking about the highly disrespectful booing of Anderson at Lords today.
  • above_the_cows
    Lots of booing of Porte and Froome up the Alpe this afternoon.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Who was booed and when? I take it we're not talking about the highly disrespectful booing of Anderson at Lords today.
    I realise the Queen is bored waiting for the latest great grandchild to be born but that's not the way to pass the time! Who was it, the Aussies?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    A blooming hero guvnor...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I realise the Queen is bored waiting for the latest great grandchild to be born but that's not the way to pass the time! Who was it, the Aussies?

The crowd (not just Aussies) decided to boo Broad when he came out to bat, but unfortunately they didn't notice that it was actually Anderson coming out, so misdirected their boos. The idea that Broad should be booed is pretty ridiculous too given that his crime was consistency i.e. never walking rather than walking only when you're confident you will be given out, but not when you think you have a chance. But this is a cycling forum, so probably not the place to discuss..
  • TheBigBean

Well, I think that is pretty poor form and I am no Sky fan.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TheBigBean wrote:

But why? The whole thing is a panto, you have people dressed up as Spiderman etc, if you're not a fan of a rider / team why not show your displeasure? I mean, chewing on some grain and gobbing it on the riders a-la Italy in the 80's is a bit much but surely a bit of cheering / booing is is all part of the show?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

But why? The whole thing is a panto, you have people dressed up as Spiderman etc, if you're not a fan of a rider / team why not show your displeasure? I mean, chewing on some grain and gobbing it on the riders a-la Italy in the 80's is a bit much but surely a bit of cheering / booing is is all part of the show?

Well I guess for me, it isn't a panto. I could never imagine going to bike race dressed in a costume, but then I probably take it all too seriously.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I guess that's why the Alpe has that love/hate thing going on for a lot of fans. The Alpe is maybe a bit too circus. While booing seems par for the course there, you wouldn't expect it on Ventoux, for instance. The Alpe is all about the spectacle, Ventoux is all about the heroism.

On the whole I like the heroism better, but the Alpe does lend a bit of colour to things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I can see your point of view, but I still think it's the act of a knob. Why should they have displeasure? The cyclists are busting their balls for the crowd's entertainment. They don't owe them anything and it's not like the fans have paid for a ticket. It just seems unnecessarily personal and rude to me.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    There were a couple of times when Porte clearly looked stronger than Froome and he accidentally dropped him while Froome looked grim. What Porte should have done then is ridden two or three bike lengths ahead of Froome while constantly looking back at him and motioning ostentatiously for Froome to get on his wheel. I'm sure Froome would have appreciated the gesture.
  • TheBigBean
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It could be a cultural point, but I tend to think of booing as reserved for exceptional circumstances where someone has acted poorly. "Acting poorly" is obviously quite subjective - for example, more footballers are adjudged to have fallen foul of this than cricketers. Nonetheless, I still think you should have done something wrong to be booed, and I'm unaware of Froome / Porte's crimes (well, before the dodgy feeding)

Pantomime style booing can be ok, but in my opinion, it should be humour based and clear that it is not serious. For example, Henry was booed on his return to Arsenal, but this was followed by laughter and cheers - the pantomime element was clear. In that case, there were a lot of fans with a unified opinion (they were all Arsenal fans), on the slopes of Alp d'Huez I imagine the love was a bit more spread, so I wouldn't have expected two riders to be singled out in such a manner.

ps what is the spoiler thread count record?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
    TheBigBean wrote:

ps what is the spoiler thread count record?
    " wrote:
    The graphs cannae handle it, capn!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidwilcock
    davidwilcock Posts: 123
    Yeah there was some pretty classless behaviour from 'the fans' but it'll just make it all the more satisfying when Froome/Sky take the big prize
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I was in awe of Porte's performance today but am gonna ask if the acknowledged cheating with the feed can extend beyond a cheap fine and pointless time penalty? RP get's busted it's a footnote in 2 years time ... Yet SKY still win the race with Froome as winner ...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I was in awe of Porte's performance today but am gonna ask if the acknowledged cheating with the feed can extend beyond a cheap fine and pointless time penalty? RP get's busted it's a footnote in 2 years time ... Yet SKY still win the race with Froome as winner ...
    Feeding then was not cheating in any real sense. There were plenty of chances for riders to get enough food and water for the climb - except Sky who had car problems.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Turfle

You thinking disqualification?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I was actually wondering where SKY's line begins and ends ... clearly not the one on their back or bike ...
  • davidwilcock
    davidwilcock Posts: 123

It would be hard to say that Sky wouldnt still win the race with Froome as winner a couple of energy gels or not in that position. Th penalty is consistent with the 'crime'. i.e. wont really affect anything on the grand scale
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2013
    It's a minor rule with a known penalty. The penalty is such to discourage routine abuse but not to discourage eating if it is needed. If you need food, sure have it, but pay a little charge for it. The rule is there for largely non-racing reasons.

It's not cheating. It's not really much different to taking a drop shot in golf.
  • Turfle
    I was actually wondering where SKY's line begins and ends ... clearly not the one on their back or bike ...

You mean if they're willing to do that, what else might they be willing to do?

Riders + teams getting fined for taking food after the cutoff is hardly an uncommon thing. Let's not pretend it's a slippery slope that ends with Porte and Froome in adjacent rooms, blood bags hanging on the walls.