Sky release Froome data to Equipe

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Becasue soem of you (understandably) don't go near the doping thread. I think this is news that needs to be shouted from the rooftops, especially with the problems in Athletics at the mo
the Inner Ring @inrng wrote:
Sky release Froome's climbing data and power stats to L'Equipe who have numbers reviewed by @fredgrappe who draws four conclusions:
1. Froome's power curve (W vs time) has a normal slope and his rides in the Tour are consistent with data from last 2 years
2. Sky have never measured his V02 max but Grappe says he must have a score close to the known physiological limits
3. his weight's been stable for races and
4. Grappe says he must have excellent powers of recovery. Data go from Vuelta 2011 to Mont Ventoux

All discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12930855

Now quick Chasey, lock the thread!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Surely that case closed?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good move - we need this kind of transparency - too much heed paid to twitter and the like when 90% of fans aren't even aware of what the twitterati are saying and most of those that are pay it little regard anyway.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    So it this type of data more reliable than the Blood Passport?
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ridgerider wrote:
    So it this type of data more reliable than the Blood Passport?
    No. But a loud PE teacher has made it the data du jour in an effort to shift some supermarket tabloids.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    GIven Brailsford's/Sky's want for marginal gains it seems remarkable that they do not measure his VO2.

I say this as a point of interest - not with any implication of a lack of transparency or doping.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    izza wrote:
    GIven Brailsford's/Sky's want for marginal gains it seems remarkable that they do not measure his VO2.

I say this as a point of interest - not with any implication of a lack of transparency or doping.

VO2 isn't really anything anybody bothers with any more, according to Vaughters - "a bit 1985"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    izza wrote:

Apparently it's a bit old skool when it comes to measuring athletic performance and there are better indicators.

No expert, just saying what I read elsewhere!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    izza wrote:

VO2 isn't really anything anybody bothers with any more, according to Vaughters - "a bit 1985"

Oooh Oooh Vaughters joins the 'new omerta'... :wink:
  • RichN95.
    izza wrote:

He's also said it was a concept from the 50s and now here it is in the 2010s. This leads me to conclude that the leading advocates of VO2 max are Marty McFly and Doc Brown.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    RichN95 wrote:
    izza wrote:

He's also said it was a concept from the 50s and now here it is in the 2010s. This leads me to conclude that the leading advocates of VO2 max are Marty McFly and Doc Brown.

As I said in the doping thread, I got it direct from a gold medal winning rower from London 2012 that bloods are the only thing they are interested in now. I think that is pretty conclusive that V02 max is indeed very out-dated.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Just a genuine question. Is 'normal slope' the same as normal figures..?
  • ddraver
    What are normal figures?
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What are normal slopes?
  • ddraver
    Slopes without any significant peaks and troughs in performance that would suggest a sudden"injection of form"
    - @ddraver
  • dorlomin
    dorlomin Posts: 4
    So he seems to get tired at a rate consistent with someone not racing full of EPO. This profile is similar every climb suggesting he is not getting a boost for critical stages.

The big Sky advantage seems to be recovery from a days racing rather than his performance during it. IIRC they have claimed to use intravenous rehydration and nutrition replenishment.

Their story is credible if not conclusive. The real superman thing about the Froome story is making the pro tour and even trying to do a GT race while suffering Bilharzia. His leap in performance really does match recovering from that.

Either Sky are the best dopers in history or are in the process of revolutionising stage racing.
  • RichN95.
    If Froome had measured his VO2 max and releases it here are the ready responses for the twitterati according to the figure:

<85 - "that's not freakish. He's definitely a doper"
    85-92.5 - "LeMond was 92.5. Grappe said he was at the limit so how can this be right? Doper!"
    >92.5 - "VO2 max is an outdated concept it proves nothing"
  • ddraver
    dorlomin wrote:
    The big Sky advantage seems to be recovery from a days racing rather than his performance during it. IIRC they have claimed to use intravenous rehydration and nutrition replenishment.

I think they specifically claim NOT to do that - it's now banned by the UCI anyway (one of the genuinely good things they ve done to stop doping)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    dorlomin wrote:

Isn't 'nutrition replenishment' what the rest of us call 'eating'?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This thread seems a little one sided to me? Where are the believers?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    dorlomin wrote:

Isn't 'nutrition replenishment' what the rest of us call 'eating'?

Yes. They control what they eat, weigh the riders every morning to make sure their fluids are ok etc. Don't use Gatorade either
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Kerrison checks their urine every morning too to check their hydration levels. What a great job. Analysing 9 people's pee every morning.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    rickyrider wrote:
    As I said in the doping thread, I got it direct from a gold medal winning rower from London 2012 that bloods are the only thing they are interested in now. I think that is pretty conclusive that V02 max is indeed very out-dated.

If you'd posted this in the Clinic you'd be told that rowing is a sport Britain is good at, just like track cycling, and as Brailsford was in charge of the GB Olympic track cycling the other Olympics sports teams are clearly in on it and the rowers are likely doping too. Plus that Jurgen Grobler, he's from East Germany (just like Jan Ullrich) and there's been lots of rumours about his training methods and connection to doping before he came over to the UK (this bit is at least true) so he's clearly dodgy and this is further evidence that Froome is indeed doping ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Not that I'm arguing that it's a good measurement of performance as I really don't know enough about the subject but I just find it interesting given Sky's highly scientific approach that they've never bothered to do a VO2 max test purely out of curiosity.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    But a bunch of forumites cannot decipher this technical data ;)

Rider data is meaningless, a good rider will have higher numbers than a poor rider, just as a doped up rider will have consistently higher numbers than if they were not doped up and it's not as if they've only just started doping in the last few months, if they've been at it, you can be guaranteed it started well before 2011, so of course the figures are going to be consistent for the period they have supplied data for.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492

Rider data is meaningless, a good rider will have higher numbers than a poor rider, just as a doped up rider will have consistently higher numbers than if they were not doped up and it's not as if they've only just started doping in the last few months, if they've been at it, you can be guaranteed it started well before 2011, so of course the figures are going to be consistent over the years!

Think you're missing the point which has been well made above. Consistency doesnt fit with a model of a rider e.g. blood doping during a race.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Rider data is meaningless, a good rider will have higher numbers than a poor rider, just as a doped up rider will have consistently higher numbers than if they were not doped up and it's not as if they've only just started doping in the last few months, if they've been at it, you can be guaranteed it started well before 2011, so of course the figures are going to be consistent over the years!

See Vaughters yesterday, there has been no study done on linking power output to doping. But all the skeptics were after power data and now they've got it. Now they;ve got to figure out what it tells them and what it means.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Nickel wrote:
    Not that I'm arguing that it's a good measurement of performance as I really don't know enough about the subject but I just find it interesting given Sky's highly scientific approach that they've never bothered to do a VO2 max test purely out of curiosity.

They've not bothered with leeches either!
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Paulie W wrote:
    Nickel wrote:

They've not bothered with leeches either!

Pah, what do you think Porte went back to the team car for today?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    ddraver wrote:
    Becasue soem of you (understandably) don't go near the doping thread. I think this is news that needs to be shouted from the rooftops, especially with the problems in Athletics at the mo
    the Inner Ring @inrng wrote:
    Sky release Froome's climbing data and power stats to L'Equipe who have numbers reviewed by @fredgrappe who draws four conclusions:
    1. Froome's power curve (W vs time) has a normal slope and his rides in the Tour are consistent with data from last 2 years
    2. Sky have never measured his V02 max but Grappe says he must have a score close to the known physiological limits
    3. his weight's been stable for races and
    4. Grappe says he must have excellent powers of recovery. Data go from Vuelta 2011 to Mont Ventoux

All discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12930855

Now quick Chasey, lock the thread!

Just out of interest - considering Sky have an absolute rock solid handle on power outputs and their riders are glued to their power meters would this mean they can push power to the absolute acceptable limit in the same way that doing daily Hb tests allowed people to get to 49 - Haematocrit - just legit?

Its not a spurious dig - just a query i.e. is power data controllable and so manipulable i.e. in english - Chris slow down a bit there's no need to push faster the rest of the field are xxxx'd