Endurance training and nutrition

Robin_D
Robin_D Posts: 38
Hullo,

I've just got my roadbike for an endurance event. I'm looking at training and what sort would be best.

It's a 24 hour event but stints will be split between the team. I'm thinking of some sort of 3 hour ride then an hour of feeding and another 3 hour ride and so on. Probably with a maximum of 3 rides. Does anyone know if that is managable or even a good idea?

Also, I'm from a really different background nutrition wise as I played Rugby league. What is it that I would need to consume inbetween/after training as I'd imagine I'd need protein and carbs.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    For you it will just be a case of getting out and riding as much as you can, increasing your distance.
    Try going out at least once a week in the morning with no breakfast, just a black coffee and build up to riding two hours just on water/electrolyte, your body will become more efficient. If the ride will be longer than 2 hrs, start eating after an hour then eat on the hour every hour. (Take emergency rations if doing the whole ride on 'empty' just in case though)
    Try and eat natural foods rather than manufactured bars/gels
    I'd suggest during your event that you eat little and often. Be careful gorging especially during your rest as its really difficult to get going again!

This book has some excellent recipes for making healthy on the bike snacks-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1937715 ... X112_SY192
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Robin_D
    Thanks for the advice, it's really useful.

I'm guessing i'd be good with 2 bottles, 1 water and 1 electrolyte? Snacks etc, like fruit and nuts?
  • napoleond
    Yeah, I buy electrolyte powder from myprotein and add it to normal squash (my favourite being tesco cherries and berries) I sometimes add myprotein caffeine to a bottle too if it's a long ride.

Have a look at this for an example of what sort of thing is in the feed zone portables-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s& ... UiuqIWGe_s
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    That electrolyte powder is a bit expensive considering it's mostly NaCl
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • napoleond
    Herbsman wrote:
    That electrolyte powder is a bit expensive considering it's mostly NaCl

I've tried using just salt, I cramp badly so electrolytes are important to me. The myprotein stuff has potassium, calcium and magnesium in too.
    At 3p per bottle it's pretty reasonable in my opinion.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Robin_D
    Would any of you recommend using a protein shake?

I've been using Phd Diet whey for a while and find it ok. Not sure whether a step up to Synergy 7 would be a benefit or not.

Are their any good training programs to follow? I'm currently cycling to and from work which is 10 miles each way with some various terrains and some nice long flat blats. So if I could combine this with Napoleon's suggested routine then I should be on to a winner.
  • napoleond
    Try having a longer (much longer) ride home from work at least once a week and try and make ot at least 3 hours (as you are aiming to ride for 3 hr chunks) Then do the big empty ride on your day off. Always ride to work on empty.

Protein shake wise I use CNP pro peptide it's really nice, but I only have it due to convenience, you can't beat foods that are in as close to natural state as possible.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Robin_D
    Thanks for your help Nap. Will see how that works.