Heart BPM

scottydunk
scottydunk Posts: 3
Guys got a query for you all,

Riding home from work yesterday morning after a night shift, on a flat road about 12 miles into it and only bimbling along at roughly 13/14 mph, my heart rate jumped from 135 bpm to a peak of 228 bpm in seconds, I felt my heart was gonna burst out my chest. I stopped and got off and tried to control my breathing and sipped some more water. 5 mins later it was back down to 90 bpm so I finished the ride home. I only had a coffee at roughly 7am before setting off at 730am nothing to eat since 9pm the night before when I had toast and a cuppa tea . Was this just a case of the body needing fuel/fluid? I felt fine after the 5 mins and have had no effects since. I haven't experienced it before and I have only recently(8 mths) got back into cycling, slowly increasing the distance I ride. I have no history of heart issues and am monitored through health checks at work regularly, a mid 40 male, 15 1/2 stone (down a stone since I got back in the saddle).

Anyone had similar happen to them.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/341234292

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Any replies you here will be based on speculation and guesswork. Get yourself to the docs...
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    could have just been a blip from the HR monitor and that freeked you out thinking your HR was that high ? as above get yourself checked out by the quack
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I' ve seen readings of well over 200bpm before but these have been dodgy readings caused by static buildup due to clothes / wind flapping and a duff battery / heart rate monitor strap. I felt fine though, so wasn't worried.

You say that you felt fine one minute and ur heart was about to burst out your chest the next. For this statement, and you saying over 200bpm, i'd be visiting the docs for a check-up at least. Could likely be nothing at all but a duff reading by your heart rate monitor - but when your health is concerned it pays not to mess about.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Imposter wrote:
    Any replies you here will be based on speculation and guesswork. Get yourself to the docs...
    +1
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I know a couple of people who suffer from tachycardia - seek medical advise.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..