Any Schleck's Time Trialling

2»

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mike6 wrote:
    Ullrich was a good TTer but could have been much better. TMobile could not drag him into a wind tunnel to make the best of his position.

No point - you'd have to do it in the off-season, and modelling airflow over a spherical object is already pretty well understood.

Boom Boom. Nice one. :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I JUST got that....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    You must be as thick as pink schist.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    RichN95 wrote:
    The bit where he says "usually the tall skinny dudes are most aero with narrow elbows" is interesting with current internet wisdom wondering how tall skinny guys can time trial.
    Tall will be important no doubt because TTing is a battle with the air so as well as being aero (skinny) you need a big engine to push that air out of the way - you need somewhere for that heart and lungs to fit. A 6'2" guy like Wiggins is always going to have a bigger engine in comparison to the little men who can dance up mountains.

Of course it is all about compromise between aero/power/endurance. Take the two extremes of TT - the kilo in comparison to say a 50km GT stage. One has a riders like Chris Hoy smashing it, at the the other end it's riders like Martin and Wiggo.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The bit where he says "usually the tall skinny dudes are most aero with narrow elbows" is interesting with current internet wisdom wondering how tall skinny guys can time trial.

Wind resistance is key. Skinny guy = narrow frontal area in the wind.. Think of little Cav against the big muscular sprinters, when they come off his wheel its difficult to come past as he is so aero. Makes up for his lack of watts.
    Oh, and hard work and attention to detail.

Also achieving the optimum position is often offset by less power output, but, as the man said, If you stick with it and work on it most of the power can be got back, and being more aero you go faster.

Ullrich was a good TTer but could have been much better. TMobile could not drag him into a wind tunnel to make the best of his position.
    Don't worry, I know the basics. I've got an engineering degree. I was just noting that an expert in the field was saying the opposite of certain areas of the internet who think that thin riders shouldn't be able to TT.
    I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's simply saying that if you are tall and skinny the optimum TT position is usually with your elbows narrow.

+1 That's how I interpreted it.