Pins and needles

pholt89
pholt89 Posts: 56
Hi all
I have been having a problem recently where I seem to develop pins and needles in my calves and also slightly in my quads after hard efforts like climbs or a flat out flat stretch. It seems to start as soon as I ease of like when I go over the crest of a hill.
I ride 15 miles 5 days as my base commuting and have done so for 9 months and then add in proper road ride as well general 20-30 miles at around 18 mph. I first noticed this while pushing on a climb about ten miles into a 57 mile ride I did 2 weeks ago and then again on my Sunday 20 miler.
Has anyone else experience anything similar? Or does anyone have any tips on what might be causing it?
thanks
Phil

Comments

• Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Pins and needles usualy mean low blood supply. I suppose, you temporarily run "low on fuel". It takes years until the body really adapts to the challenges of endurance sport. There are various mechanisms to supply energy to the muscles. The fastest consists of depots directly in the muscles in question, but it lasts for less than a minute. Breathing is important too of course, but you need something to burn with the oxygen. And that is what the body is leaning slowly. And you have to learn, what food is best (pasta is always good for cyclists). In the meantime, don't push it too hard. And also see a doctor to check your health (not because of the needles and pins, but because it can't hurt to make sure you are doing the right thing).