I Like Planes

13»

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    TCR4x4 wrote:
    What was wrong with my Vulcan cockpit a few posts up?? :D

NOT from XH558, its much more authentic and original than that.

Nowt wrong with you pics. Simply underlining fact that it is singularly the most incredible aircraft. There is actually a cockpit/nose section of a Vulcan at Bournemouth Aircraft Museum, which you can climb up into. Thing I find interesting is the pilot and co-pilot sat in ejector seats and the navigator/bomber/comms sat at back of cockpit facing the rear and had to climb out through the hatch.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • TCR4x4
    TCR4x4 Posts: 38
    Mr Goo wrote:
    TCR4x4 wrote:
    What was wrong with my Vulcan cockpit a few posts up?? :D

NOT from XH558, its much more authentic and original than that.

Nowt wrong with you pics. Simply underlining fact that it is singularly the most incredible aircraft. There is actually a cockpit/nose section of a Vulcan at Bournemouth Aircraft Museum, which you can climb up into. Thing I find interesting is the pilot and co-pilot sat in ejector seats and the navigator/bomber/comms sat at back of cockpit facing the rear and had to climb out through the hatch.

You can get into ours too, on open days anyway. What surprises most people is how cramped it is, the gap between the pilots seats is tiny. Even with the centre panel folded away its tough getting in, imagine it with flight suits and all the rest, must have been some very supple people! Also front visibility is almost non existent.

Such a big aircraft, you'd think you'd be able to see a lot, but you can barely see a thing!
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    http://images.wikia.com/empiresandallies/images/1/1f/XB-70.jpg

Ive had a soft spot for this ever since I first read about them; really the end for the big, fast, nuclear delivery bomber - shows how fast develpment (and obselescence) was in that era, and how much money the US had for bleeding edge projects. Operational only 8 years after the Vulcan...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    DesB3rd wrote:
    http://images.wikia.com/empiresandallies/images/1/1f/XB-70.jpg

Ive had a soft spot for this ever since I first read about them; really the end for the big, fast, nuclear delivery bomber -

apart from the B1, the Backfire and the Blackjack, of course.. ;)
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    You know what I mean :wink:

Post-60s fast bombers became more rounded affairs; conventional heavy payload strikes, low level penetration, specifications closer to the conventional - no one put together a design to hoon in, Mach3+ on the edge of space, drop your bombs & be gone before interceptors got to altitude (with good reason...) Which is kinda what appeals about the early jet era, aircraft were so often designed for niche roles, so focused on one or two qualities with no heed paid to other abilities - Top Trumps one-liners - supersonic bombers which were unstable & hapless at anything but huge altitude, interceptors which could climb like rockets, but only had enough fuel for tens of minutes and were useless in a turning fight, etc, etc.
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    ... we have the sole surviving XB-70... mmmmmmmmmm,

Aircraft-NMUSAF-RampD-IMG_5007P4_zpsec81e6dd.jpg

Aircraft-NMUSAF-RampD-IMG_5069P5_zpscbd423f1.jpg

... the Museum of the United States Air Force is getting a new gallery (currently, there are three along with an annex and a restoration hangar) and essentially all aircraft will be under roof (dunno how this will do for advertising as there will be few planes displayed outside!!!) and the XB-70 will be inside along with a Galaxy C5A...

NAFM000C.jpg

Aircraft-C5A-IMG_5579-1.jpg