Finding New Routes

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
I've been a bit lazy, I've realised, in hunting out new routes for my commute. I found the most efficient route and stuck with it. But the lovely weather has made me want to explore a bit more and I'm glad I have as there's some really great alternatives - one that allows me to get close to 21mph average over the first 15 miles and a few more scenic ones like this one last night that skirts the Beauly Firth for 5 or 6 miles and is like this photo for much of it (along with fields, trees, cottages)

9244408319_ed2b4f5883_z.jpg

The moral of the story is be more adventurous
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    Indeed. I've been going up the Old Kent Road recently rather than through Deptford and Bermondsey. It looks like this most of the way:

old_kent_road.jpg

Adventurous commuting story FAIL :(
  • meanredspider
    I have serious respect for London commuters after my London to Edinburgh and London to Cambridge adventures - I hated riding in London with a passion. I suppose, like everything, you get used to it but it's those experiences, partly, that have helped push me to explore more of where I live.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    Actually, I had a bit of an adventurous Saturday in London. I was watching the Rugby in Covent Garden so cycled up early for that. Then once the game was over I was due in Greenwich for some quasar type thing as part of a stag do, so I took CS3 across town to the new cable car across the Thames, which dropped me v close to the quasar place. First time I've used one of the cycling superhighways and I was kind of impressed, it was grand for a weekend pootle (if confusing in places) but I'm not sure I'd want to commute on it every day. As for the cable car, that was great fun and being a cyclist, I got a cabin all to myself as they put the seats down on one side to accomodate my bike. Only £3.20 on the Oyster card, although I can't say it's that likely I'll need to use it again. Anyway, here's the view:

8Cz3FXM.jpg
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    @ Gallywomack. That picture made me smile. So I take it you don't appreciate the glorious sight of endless kebab shops and KFC stylee eateries? Shame on you!

I sympathise with you though as I have the same dilemma every day. I love my commute through either Blackheath or Greenwich, but then it gets dull (Deptford onto Bermondsey) or even duller (Deptford onto Old Kent Road) depending on what route I take.

Ughhh.

@MRS - That's a very tidy average you're doing there.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • meanredspider
    Ride hard wrote:
    @MRS - That's a very tidy average you're doing there.

Yup - it's net descent over the 15 miles of about 200ft so it's not all down to awesome power :wink:

But they are fantastic roads - not many junctions - one large roundabout that I approach at nearly 30mph. The only slow bits are an underpass and crossing the bridge. It would be hard to conceive of a much quicker route in the real world.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    I think you meant to say 'net ascent' (remember, embellishment sells books) :)

It's probably been done before, but the picture of your commute would make a good thread about the most scenic or soul destroying commute images.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • meanredspider
    Ride hard wrote:
    It's probably been done before, but the picture of your commute would make a good thread about the most scenic or soul destroying commute images.

You've done it now :wink:

8112058729_3f41cb798b_z.jpg
    8252699198_1168a7e9fc_z.jpg
    8487023342_8c8aa6edee_z.jpg
    8487023432_c68eb4eaaa_z.jpg
    8487023482_f0906c6d71_z.jpg
    8496001800_ff03126747_z.jpg
    8496001848_9928ddeafa_z.jpg
    8514254140_1a5914b91e_z.jpg
    8514254204_117416a5b7_z.jpg
  • Ride hard wrote:

You've done it now :wink:

8112058729_3f41cb798b_z.jpg
    8252699198_1168a7e9fc_z.jpg
    8487023342_8c8aa6edee_z.jpg
    8487023432_c68eb4eaaa_z.jpg
    8487023482_f0906c6d71_z.jpg
    8496001800_ff03126747_z.jpg
    8496001848_9928ddeafa_z.jpg
    8514254140_1a5914b91e_z.jpg
    8514254204_117416a5b7_z.jpg

Yeah but the beer is rubbish in Scotland :wink:
    the main reason I don't mind travelling south of Watford is that there is at least a chance of a decent pint
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    the main reason I don't mind travelling south of Watford is that there is at least a chance of a decent pint

Ah - possibly true - except, living on the Black Isle, I cycle past

prmain-blackisle-011.jpg

which is a very very satisfactory pint.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You are quite correct, Tennents is **** water. There are however, a lot more choices of decent beer.
    Having tried the beer south of Watford, I would say the chances are equal if you know what you are asking for.

Nice pics MRS but please explain that these are the exceptions as we like the quiet roads as they are. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    All I can p*ss people off with is:

20120306_070252.jpg

20120306_073117.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415

20120306_070252.jpg

20120306_073117.jpg

Like the way you've stealthily hidden the massive chimneys of (Willington?) power station behind the trees in the top one.... ;)

(I went to college at Kedleston Road...)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • meanredspider
    msmancunia wrote:
    Like the way you've stealthily hidden the massive chimneys of (Willington?) power station behind the trees in the top one.... ;)

Does that "Private" sign actually warn people that it's a contaminated power station cooling pond? :shock: :wink::wink:
  • meanredspider
    daviesee wrote:
    Nice pics MRS but please explain that these are the exceptions as we like the quiet roads as they are. :wink:

Admission: I pinched those off Google Images and these are the only pics I managed to take before I was mugged and my phone was nicked... It's rough in the Highlands

Stalker.JPG

Woodhall.Port+Glasgow.jpg
  • daviesee
    :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:

Does that "Private" sign actually warn people that it's a contaminated power station cooling pond? :shock: :wink::wink:

Radcliffe on Soar power station - and that's the Trent in the photo with the No Fishing sign
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Cycled from Henley-on-Thames to Nottingham yesterday and was amazed at how quiet the roads were in general. Apart from Thame, a short section of the A45 and Nottingham itself the rest of the roads were generally really nice and car free. I was surprised how hilly it was though, negligible flat, in fact 7,500ft in total. Near Silverstone and Naseby were particularly nice.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • daviesee
    A few from my commute tonight....

Commute1.jpg

Commute2.jpg

Commute3.jpg

Mostly notable for being able to see the road now that the snow and ice have cleared. :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    With all this sunshine and heat I long for the torrential floods last year when my commute looked like this:

7462913572_3b0e61b057_c.jpg

or maybe this year's endless winter:

8248395138_1decb20903_c.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607
    midLothianRoad_1984_zpsc178e713.jpg
    Gate_beside_minor_road_near_Yorkston_-_geograph.org.uk_-_159132.jpg
    Temple_2039_zpscf2d007e.jpg
    Why would I want to find a new route?
    Okay, so I took a circuitous route home today as well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    Just to show that you don't have to live in rural Scotland to have beautiful views on your commute

DSC_0576.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    Just for clarity, I was focussing on the route rather than the scenery.
    And my 3rd photo is only 5 miles from Aberdeen airport. Rural for London but urban for up here. :wink:
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just to show that you don't have to live in rural Scotland to have beautiful views on your commute
    Agreed, this is the last km of my commute home:
    IMAG0104_BURST002_zps83141d64.jpg

and these are on the extended commute:
    IMAG0192_1_zpscc8dfbb9.jpg
    IMAG0159_zps7c591779.jpg
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    8627327197_9e9746dc11_z.jpg

that's my normal commute, on the edge of London but London still, are other routes but I like going though Bushy Park.
  • Ah go on, I'll play too. My commute, though Scottish, is less rural than some:

LongniddrySunset.jpg

Gullsinthesnow.jpg

MusselburghHarbour-small-1.jpg
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158

20120306_070252.jpg

Just down the road from my house. Some lovely views even with the power station
  • meanredspider
    It's great to see some lovely scenery and photos from people's commutes. It's too easy to see commuting by bike as a battle with buses & traffic lights in miserable wet weather, but there's some very different perspectives in these pics.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Stole pics from google maps but this was my extended route this morning

745266.jpg

70184032.jpg

10330838.jpg

2958675.jpg
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Must have been awful Stu-bim
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Bit of a tropical depression yesterday and was p1ssing down. Couldn't see 10 yards in front of windscreen, yesterday would have been awful to cycle. Didn't fancy driving but it passed quickly.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon