Am I riding too fast too soon?

2»

Comments

• littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    I agree completely with the 10mph beginner thing. That's my experience, a couple of weeks into a 35 year break from the bike.

https://www.justgiving.com/timshears
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    NewTTer wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Yep also knowing nocheckmate, I can concur with Smids, he probably took you as willy waving as well until you explained yourself further.
    As did I, so maybe your OP was a little misleading

Really?
    It was a question simply put.

Nothing more. If there have been many "willy wavers" before then so be it. All I am is a 46 yr old dad of 4 returning to cycling after a 32 yr old gap.
    I have no idea of the nuances; the cliques; the right thing or otherwise to ask.

As I see it this forum is for just doing that. I apologise for not being more illustrative in my original post but really did I deserve the response it got?

I am still only riding 10 miles with a solitary 16. I am still bloomin knackered.
    I am overweight, underfit and in no way would I be waving my willy in any direction. If I could find the bloody thing.

Sorry fellas but some people have made me feel decidedly unwelcome.

Warning. Forums may contain nuts!

Similar situation to you. Hopefully we will get some good advice here. The jury is still out.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    arenaman wrote:
    Hi. Completed my next milestone tonight - 15 miles well actually it was 16.7 and I must admit I was delighted to have hit that one so soon.

I was quite comfortable for 10 but the homeward mostly uphill section was bloomin hard going.
    Strava calculated that I averaged 15.1 mph.

My questions are fairly obvious - am I going too fast? Would I be better pacing myself s bit more?

I think you learn to find your own pace, if it was too fast you'll be more tired the next day. I haven't ventured over 20 miles yet, did one yesterday steady away in 75 mins (16mph ave) but I'm not getting too hung up on times with only 5 weeks riding time under my belt. I'm just happy to be getting a good workout for at least an hour 4 or 5 times a week at the moment, I can feel I'm getting fitter anyway.

That's the way to look at it, forget all this mph / distance / kom / goal setting nonsense, just get on the bike, go for a ride, enjoy yourself and hey presto by default the more times you go out the better you will get without getting hung up on beating some person on Strava that you don't even know and for all we know could have done it on a moped.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Claud,

For someone who is noticeably overweight and out of condition, more benefit can be gained by riding a little more slowly, and for a longer length of time.
    Of course doing that DOES take more time, and the extra time might not be available....

My reasoning:

When riding at a fairly easy pace, the body gets a larger percentage of it energy requirements by burning fat. And as long as you don't increase your daily calorie/food intake, that will help you lose weight. Also, your breathing will improve because of the extra time spent exercising.

If you push 'too hard' you'll be forced to stop earlier because your muscles aren't (yet) trained for that amount of hard exercise.

After a while the speed will increase because of improved fitness.

If you can only devote a limited amount of time to cycling, then ride hard enough to be tired at the finish, but not completely 'wasted'.
    The key to any exercise/weight-loss program is to 'stay with it', not get injured, and to avoid over eating.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Sorry fellas but some people have made me feel decidedly unwelcome.

I think that you are being far too sensitive.
    If you don't grow a thicker skin, quickly, then this forum is going to ruin your life :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    NewTTer wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Yep also knowing nocheckmate, I can concur with Smids, he probably took you as willy waving as well until you explained yourself further.

Really?

Nothing more. If there have been many "willy wavers" before then so be it. All I am is a 46 yr old dad of 4 returning to cycling after a 32 yr old gap.
    I have no idea of the nuances; the cliques; the right thing or otherwise to ask.

As I see it this forum is for just doing that. I apologise for not being more illustrative in my original post but really did I deserve the response it got?

I am still only riding 10 miles with a solitary 16. I am still bloomin knackered.
    I am overweight, underfit and in no way would I be waving my willy in any direction. If I could find the bloody thing.

Suggest you get over yourself and ask a straight forward question in a straight forward and uncomplicated way. Now what is it you want to know?
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    arenaman wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Really?

Yep, me too just don't dwell on it, it's not worth it. I'm similar to you, 41 yrs old and only ever ridden a mountain bike half a dozen times a year in the past. I've fitness through running but this a whole different game, I'm currently putting in about 4 x 15 milers a week, more if i can squeeze it in around work. I'm looking to go a little bit longer but want to do some sort of training plan based on maximum rides of 30 miles, just down to time constraints really.

In the next couple of months i'll be joining a club and may even do a 10 mile TT for the hell of it

Sits back and awaits the digs :lol:
    You will not need a training plan to ride 30 miles. You may think it is a long way but it really isnt. Under your current regime you will be accustomed to riding 15 miles only, and if due to time constraints thats all you can fit in, you will need to try and up the intensity on these rides to realise any benefit, look for something interval based. And yep go and try some club 10's you will enjoy it, you are only racing against yourself and its great fun. But dont wait a couple of months the TT season will be over.
    And I sincerely hope you feel welcome and loved by all and mostly by yourself!
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    The problem with internet forums are that, first, it's just words. Words can be taken out of context and misunderstood. You have 'Smilies' to help give your posts added dimension, and to set the mood and context of what you're typing. Use wherever you can.

Second, we are just 'users' to each other, not actual people. Because we're not face to face, there are no real consequences of upsetting someone. So naturally, there are certain persistent users (every forum has them) who will take advantage of this and quite freely and willingly put forward their opinions in a blunt, tactless fashion with the full knowledge and intent that it will cause a riot. You'll probably find that such users are socially inept, making up for what they would otherwise lack in a real world social situation.

If we were all sat in a big room discussing this topic, the OP's original query would have instantly been understood and it would likely have been a good friendly discussion. Those who have clearly upset the apple cart on this thread probably would have walked out the room, or not turned up at all as the subject matter is really of no interest to them.

So, moral of the story is, forums are a great source of advice and information. It's knowing which posts and users to take with a pinch of salt.
  • Time for some "reverse willy waving"!
    Bought myself an Aldi computer and set about attempting my 'long' run of cycling for 1 1/2 hours.
    I tried to keep to about 13 mph and go further and longer. I completed a nice loop of 19.7 miles and probably could have done more but sensibly didn't.

I was overtaken by another cyclist on the steepest slope section & had to laugh at my own lack of fitness. One day that will be me I thought, one day! ;-)

Really felt good afterwards too!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Good man - keep at it.
    Yellow is the new Black.