Am I riding too fast too soon?

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi. Completed my next milestone tonight - 15 miles well actually it was 16.7 and I must admit I was delighted to have hit that one so soon.

I was quite comfortable for 10 but the homeward mostly uphill section was bloomin hard going.
Strava calculated that I averaged 15.1 mph.

My questions are fairly obvious - am I going too fast? Would I be better pacing myself s bit more?

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    If it's bloomin hard going, you're probably doing it at about the right speed.

You'll soon find out whether you can maintain that average speed when you push the distance up a bit.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    If you've been cycling less than a month then you should respect other roadies and keep to the beginners max 10 mph, or you will show us all up.
  • Lol Sprool yes I am only 2 weeks into my 2nd cycling career. I will head your advice ;-)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And no sitting on my wheel matey ...
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    It depends on your age, and general physical condition.

As a 'recreational cyclist' you probably have several other things that you need to do on a daily basis.

If you can recover from cycle training, and have enough energy to do all those other things, then GREAT. But be careful to not let cycle training hurt or diminish the other more important things. And don't push yourself so hard that the cycle training causes injury.

It is typical for new cyclists to make rapid progress at the beginning - your cycling skill increases quickly, and the cycling muscles quickly acclimate and strengthen to the stress of cycling. At some point though, you will reach a plateau and then the improvements will be more gradual. Additional cycling stress should be added slowly - again, so you can recover, and continue with other daily activities.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Claud - just out of interest - are you asking if you're cycling too fast for someone new to cycling, or do you mean are you cycling too fast at the start of your rides, leaving you lacking energy at the end?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Schoie81 wrote:
    Claud - just out of interest - are you asking if you're cycling too fast for someone new to cycling, or do you mean are you cycling too fast at the start of your rides, leaving you lacking energy at the end?

Hi Schoie I mean the former - too fast for someone effectively new to cycling.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Yes.
    Fup off and take up hang-gliding! :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Sorry to burst your bubble but... 15.1mph too fast?

Took my 13 year old son out for only the third time the other night on an undulating 10 mile loop and he averaged 16.5 mph in his trainers!

Come back when like some previous posters in this section you can 'cruise along' at 22mph! Until then .........
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have been riding for 18 months and I regularly do a 16 mile loop. It is flat(ish) with only about 450ft of climb and last night was the first time I managed 20mph average.

It is quite easy at the start to think 'wow 15mph, at this rate I will be doing 20mph averages in no time' but in reality it is baby steps and takes a lot to average another 5mph over the same course.

IME every 1mph increase on your average takes a good bit of work to achieve.

Of course there are also many variables on the day (wind, mentality, health, fatigue etc.) which can easily sway things one way or the other.

If you are managing what you are doing then it is not too fast.

Then of course you add on distance and that is where pacing needs to be more thought out. Doing 70 miles is a whole lot different to doing 16 miles. Achieving 20 mph over 70 miles is probably impossible for most of us.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I've been road cycling for a year and agree with what Smidsy said.

I'm faster now than I was back then but its taken a lot of time on the bike. I can manage 20mph on my commute (11 miles) but not sure I could manage it for much longer than that
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Hi. Completed my next milestone tonight - 15 miles well actually it was 16.7 and I must admit I was delighted to have hit that one so soon.

I was quite comfortable for 10 but the homeward mostly uphill section was bloomin hard going.
    Strava calculated that I averaged 15.1 mph.

My questions are fairly obvious - am I going too fast? Would I be better pacing myself s bit more?

Did you pass out? Were you physically sick? No? Then you're not going too fast! :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It's often said that each MPH increase requires twice the effort. I'm sure it's not that bad but you get the idea
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    There's no such thing as too fast too soon. There's no prescribed rate of improvement. Everyone is different and will progress at different rates. 15mph is a very respectable average after only 2 weeks so be proud of it and allow it to motivate you to go faster still! As others have said though, it becomes exponentially harder to increase your average speed the higher it gets. Once you get to 18mph or more, depending on how much riding you do, getting that extra 1mph takes some serious time, dedication and effort.
  • nochekmate
    smidsy wrote:
    Achieving 20 mph over 70 miles is probably impossible for most of us.

Depends on the course & conditions! For complete beginners yes maybe difficult but pretty easy to achieve for many forumites on a flat TT course.
    In fact last month I completed the 56 mile bike leg of the Outlaw Half- Ironman at 22mph+ and this with a 13 mile run to follow and after a 1.2 mile swim - Given that I am 50 years of age and have only been cycling semi-seriously for 5 years there are plenty of people in the clubs that I ride with that can easily serve me up on a plate! Group ride I know but last week's club ride with the quick group was just over 70 miles @ 21.4mph moving average (cafe stop after 45 miles or so)- not a hilly ride but not pan-flat either!

70 miles @ 20mph not necessarily easy but by no means impossible
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Anyone that can ride a road bike (no TT rigs included) at an average speed of 20mph+ over 50 miles is a good amateur / club rider.

Anyone who can do it at 25mph+ is in the pro peleton
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Anyone that can ride a road bike (no TT rigs included) at an average speed of 20mph+ over 50 miles is a good amateur / club rider.

Anyone who can do it at 25mph+ is in the pro peloton

In a group on flat roads I would expect some pretty mediocre cyclists could achieve this.

and your second statement is a bit misleading.
  • smidsy
    nochekmate wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Achieving 20 mph over 70 miles is probably impossible for most of us.

70 miles @ 20mph not necessarily easy but by no means impossible

Perhaps I should have clarified my statement with solo. Group rides then maybe even I could do that one day.

Just got back from 59 miles and I certainly did not manage 20 mph average :evil:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate wrote:

Took my 13 year old son out for only the third time the other night on an undulating 10 mile loop and he averaged 16.5 mph in his trainers!

Come back when like some previous posters in this section you can 'cruise along' at 22mph! Until then .........

What a nice man you are!
  • nochekmate
    arenaman wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

What a nice man you are!

The beginners forum has quite a few individuals in this mould lurking around :roll:

Now you two are sounding like my Mrs!
    Just kindly offering a bit of truth & perspective for the OP :D
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    arenaman wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:
    arenaman wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

What a nice man you are!

The beginners forum has quite a few individuals in this mould lurking around :roll:

No, you're trying to have a cheap laugh at people that have been riding for a few weeks :roll:
    I think you are wrong the OP was blatant willy waving in the first instance, and this guy just put some perspective on it!
  • NewTTer wrote:
    arenaman wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:
    arenaman wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

What a nice man you are!

No, you're trying to have a cheap laugh at people that have been riding for a few weeks :roll:
    I think you are wrong the OP was blatant willy waving in the first instance, and this guy just put some perspective on it!

I can guarantee there was no willy waving. It was a genuine question. I am absolutely knackered after riding fairly short mileage for most other posters.
    I was quite simply asking if I was attempting to ride too fast too soon and should I be riding at a slower pace.
    For the experienced competitive dad to come on and belittle what I am trying to do is frankly crass and indeed pathetic.
    I thought the Road Beginner forum would be the appropriate place to ask for guidance. Clearly not.
    It does make one question the motives of some.
  • smidsy
    I can guarantee there was no willy waving. It was a genuine question. I am absolutely knackered after riding fairly short mileage for most other posters.

In that case perhaps you are 'going at it' too hard. If you can not extend the mileage at the speed you are currently doing (you have no legs) then perhaps slowing the pace slightly will allow you to ride for longer and thus start building up some stamina.

PS: Knowing Nocheckmate as an actual person (not an internet avatar) I very much doubt he was being the ar5e you make him out out be. The orininal question can be seen as an attempt to 'willy wave' because once people start quoting average speeds etc. it tends to lean towards that.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate
    Cheers Smids!

On holiday at the moment lying on a sunbed by the pool all day and getting bike withdrawal symptoms. I took the Op's original post wrong clearly (gave me the impression that he thought he was something amazing after just two weeks) - no problem, we'll both get over it!

Back on the bike tomorrow so should be in a better mood. I've never been called 'competitive' before :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Don't mind them. There has bee a lot of posters who come on to say things like

"I've been riding for 2 weeks now but I can only average 18mph over a 60 mile course, how can I improve".
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Yep also knowing nocheckmate, I can concur with Smids, he probably took you as willy waving as well until you explained yourself further.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    lawrences wrote:

Anyone who can do it at 25mph+ is in the pro peloton

In a group on flat roads I would expect some pretty mediocre cyclists could achieve this.

and your second statement is a bit misleading.

Solo, not group riding.... I don't care what you say, to stick at 25mph+ solo is not something any old club rider can do; mostly ex-pro's and Cat-1's are the only amateurs who can achieve this performance.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Velonutter wrote:
    Yep also knowing nocheckmate, I can concur with Smids, he probably took you as willy waving as well until you explained yourself further.
    As did I, so maybe your OP was a little misleading
  • nochekmate
    edited July 2013
    ... like a good fairy tale 'Everybody lived happily ever after.' :lol:
  • NewTTer wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    As did I, so maybe your OP was a little misleading

Really?
    It was a question simply put.

Nothing more. If there have been many "willy wavers" before then so be it. All I am is a 46 yr old dad of 4 returning to cycling after a 32 yr old gap.
    I have no idea of the nuances; the cliques; the right thing or otherwise to ask.

As I see it this forum is for just doing that. I apologise for not being more illustrative in my original post but really did I deserve the response it got?

I am still only riding 10 miles with a solitary 16. I am still bloomin knackered.
    I am overweight, underfit and in no way would I be waving my willy in any direction. If I could find the bloody thing.

Sorry fellas but some people have made me feel decidedly unwelcome.