Unclipping- does it matter which foot??

2»

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    if you un-clip your left foot and fall to the right, you've done it wrong.
    Cycling weakly
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Left foot always - also means you don't give yourself one of those embarrassing chainring marks down the back of your right calf as it always remains clipped in.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Neil_aky wrote:
    I was always taught (cycling proficiency test in the 70's) to start pedalling on your 'wrong' foot, i.e. I am right handed / footed so I have always pushed off on my left foot, I carried on with this theory when I switched to clipless.
    I've never heard that before, what's the reason?
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Shtukka wrote:
    If you're nervous on the bike anyway, then get flat pedals and consider moving onwards once you're confident. I used toe straps for years without the sky falling down.

Or, you could try a clip-in pedal that also offers a flat surface. Weight-weeny roady snobs might sneer at something like this, but it was a jolly good stepping stone for me into clips. This is the Time ATAC clip (which can be used with regular shoes, or once you're ready to clip, buy regular SPD-type shoes).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/time-z-strong-freeride-pedals/

The ATAC isn't all that comon, but offers great lateral movement. Generally more common on MTB since it sheds mud well too.

Thanks Shtukka, I'll bear that one in mind. I'm not a weight-weeny ...
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I have always gone with left foot simply because that felt more comfortable.

i think my main reason was i feel i can get away quicker with my right foot clipped in (I am right footed)

I have tried to unclip the right before and it just felt weird and like a real effort so im sticking with left and by the sounds its prob the safer way !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    skyd0g wrote:
    if you un-clip your left foot and fall to the right, you've done it wrong.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I don't think it matters as long as it's always the same foot. If you have to think about it, it is inevitable that sooner or later you won't be able to make up your mind and you won't unclip either.

I am left handed so I unclip my left foot but don't fight what feels natural.

BTW my tip for not falling over is to steer towards the clipped in foot just as you stop. This makes the bike lean towards the unclipped foot so you don't unclip and then lean the bike the wrong way.
  • I naturally go with my left but make sure I also practice unclipping with my right. I was advised to do this when I first started cycling. It builds the muscle memory so you can quickly unclip your less favoured foot if needed.