Unclipping- does it matter which foot??

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I just bought my wife her first road bike today and she decided that she wanted to go with spd pedals straight away. When I unclip from my pedals I always come out of the left pedal first so that if I'm going to fall it will be into the verge rather than into the road and potential traffic so I have been advising my wife to come out of her left pedal first - problem is her brain naturally tells her to come out of the right pedal and her attempts to unclip on the left have resulted in a few failures.

Question is - is there a right or wrong side to unclip or do you just go with what comes naturally? I would like to know what others do?

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I always clip out with the right,being right handed this seems to be my best control foot/position.Think what ever comes natural is best so don't have to think about it.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Remind her to ALWAYS twist the heel outward. That way she won't hit the spokes with her ankle.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I always unclip my right foot first as I can put my foot on the kerb (we ride on the right side of the road :D ), mrs T always unclips her left foot first, but whichever is done automatically is best.

Well done mrs B for going clipless first time out on a new bike!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    In the UK it's a bit more practical to unclip the left, but there's no point fighting what feels natural. My gf is the same - she always unclips the right.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Plus one for which ever is your natural leg. I had probs till I worked this out.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i used to always unclip with right foot, being right footed but forced myself to change to left the theory being that you lean away from traffic etc. the problem is now i dont seem to be able to unclip on the right and the last time i tried i fell off lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Left footer here. Have always lent left when stopping.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    I unclip right foot because it's the way I always have. What I have noticed though especially commuting is people who unclip left foot step down kerb side rather than road side which I think is probably better but I'm far to set in my ways haha
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I would advise left foot out if you're in the UK.
    You want to balance the bike to the left - away from traffic.
    Putting your right foot down means you will be leaning out into traffic - and if you can't get your foot out - you're more likely to fall into the path of traffic.
    Left every time for me.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    As long as you do, otherwise it can prove embarrassing :oops: I unclip with the left apart from when I get caught by the lights outside the flat as I stop in the middle of the road, in preparation to cross the traffic, and put my foot on the traffic island.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • left foot for me, but I'm naturally left footed. Problem then comes because I want to push off with my left foot on the pedal and right foot on the floor. I'm sure I'll get it sorted with time.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I'm naturally left footed and it feels more natural for me to unclip the right so that I can push off with the left.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Natural wins. There are benefits both way. Left you lean away from traffic, and I usually aim for kerb, which often means I can stay on the saddle. going down right and the road camber puts the road a little closer.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • AntD365
    AntD365 Posts: 11
    +1 for whatever feels natural, hopefully the remaining clipped in foot is the one it's natural to set off with.
    I'm guessing that this is the biking equivalent of regular and goofy.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Plus one for which ever is your natural leg. I had probs till I worked this out.

I'm left handed but right footed. Unclip the left.

I used to snowboard a bit and rode regular, which meant left foot stayed in binding whilst right was unbound when 'skateboarding' on flats.

I'm a freak.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    When I first got SPD the shop said unclip on the left for the reasons you said and that's served me well. Have to say however I still unclipped on the left in Spain and that was ok.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    If its your foot thats good, if its somebody elses foot - thats bad. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    I was always taught (cycling proficiency test in the 70's) to start pedalling on your 'wrong' foot, i.e. I am right handed / footed so I have always pushed off on my left foot, I carried on with this theory when I switched to clipless.

I would have thought the most important point is to unclip with whichever foot you find it easiest to unclip / clip with as the biggest risk must be failing to unclip at a junction or struggling to clip in after pulling away; which foot you put down versus the side of road you are riding on seems to me to be more trivial...
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I never ever thought about this before I read this thread. Usually left foot first or only. Even without click pedals, I leave my right foot on the pedal most of the time. Perhaps it is right, that the wrong foot should start pedalling and then I am doing it right, but it could be coincidence. Usually, you fall to the side where you haven't unclipped, and you fall to the side that looks more spectacular, if you haven't unclipped either foot.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I'm very new to clipless (first ride on them was last week) but I clip-in my left foot first and out with my right first. I'm right footed but on flat pedals i've always pushed off with my left foot on the pedal and when i stop I put my right foot down first. Not sure why - just seems instinctive to me to do it that way - I've never really thought about it until reading this thread. I don't intend changing this just because i'm now using clipless pedals. In fact, I think it would be pretty difficult for me to change what is a somewhat in-built habit now and I think if I tried, i'd end up like your wife - falling over!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • meth_tical
    meth_tical Posts: 67
    I clip out with my left foot purely for the reason that I struggle to move my heel out far enough with my right foot. I've checked the tension on both pedals and the position of the cleat but I think its also down to flexibility as well and my left foot/ankle seem more flexible than my right.
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    meth_tical wrote:
    I clip out with my left foot purely for the reason that I struggle to move my heel out far enough with my right foot. I've checked the tension on both pedals and the position of the cleat but I think its also down to flexibility as well and my left foot/ankle seem more flexible than my right.

I have this problem no matter which foot I clip in or out with, resorted to unclipping turning my heel INWARDS instead of outwards. Not sure if the Road SPDs are designed to do that, but it seems to work for me.

For the record, I'm left footed and put that foot down first. Whatever comes naturally, as people above have said.
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    I un-clip left foot first as, as a motor cyclist I have the right foot on the brake when waiting at lights and junctions :-)
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    mikeabanks wrote:
    I un-clip left foot first as, as a motor cyclist I have the right foot on the brake when waiting at lights and junctions :-)

I never thought about that but as a ex bikeer, may be thats why got into the left foot habit.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Left foot means that you can easily come to a stop at the side of the road and rest your foot on the curb for example.

Having said that I've always push started with my right foot - no idea how or why - so leaving my right clipped in makes sense.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Whichever foot is closest to the near side of the road seems the logical choice.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Left foot means that you can easily come to a stop at the side of the road and rest your foot on the curb for example.

Having said that I've always push started with my right foot - no idea how or why - so leaving my right clipped in makes sense.

this for me too
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    I feel that when you come to a halt your body naturally tips to one side in anticipation of taking one foot off the pedal. Go with that.

I really like the idea of unclipping to the left in the UK (happens to be what I do) and it probably is possible to retrain your natural inclination, but down that route lies the possibility when you're tired of instinct taking over and you tip off.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    team47b wrote:
    Well done mrs B for going clipless first time out on a new bike!

So would people here recommend flat pedals for a while on a new bike, especially if new to a road bike? I'm planning on getting a road bike soon. I have never used clipless pedals but want to and am a bit nervous about it tbh.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    If you're nervous on the bike anyway, then get flat pedals and consider moving onwards once you're confident. I used toe straps for years without the sky falling down.

Or, you could try a clip-in pedal that also offers a flat surface. Weight-weeny roady snobs might sneer at something like this, but it was a jolly good stepping stone for me into clips. This is the Time ATAC clip (which can be used with regular shoes, or once you're ready to clip, buy regular SPD-type shoes).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/time-z-strong-freeride-pedals/

The ATAC isn't all that comon, but offers great lateral movement. Generally more common on MTB since it sheds mud well too.