Sky are dopers - Oh no they're not

Comments

• Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    "Works harder" "Works better"

Wow, never heard that said about a winner who later turned out to be a doper.

Of course Rick made the best point of this thread...if Froome was Spanish the responses to cynicism would be completely different around here.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Of course Rick made the best point of this thread...if Froome was Spanish the responses to cynicism would be completely different around here.
    So once again, all these sports stars across lots of sports all work as hard as their competitors. So the only conclusion is that those that win must be doping/cheating. Is that it?
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt wrote:

So once again, all these sports stars across lots of sports all work as hard as their competitors. So the only conclusion is that those that win must be doping/cheating. Is that it?

1) I never said that, I simply pointed out the incontrovertible fact that the exact same things are being said in blind defense of Sky/Froome here as we're used to defend Armstrong/USPS on American cycling forums in their day.

2) With the knowledge we all have of doping in sports based on what has happened in the past and what is covered up as well as my own knowledge from inside high level sport it's a fools errand to think that winners of major sports events are not doping.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2013
    WT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slim_boy_fat
    Blind defence? Pretty hard to mount a defence when the prosecution has no actual evidence. There was plenty of hard evidence against Armstrong et al that meant anyone defending was blind. Produce the hard evidence and I'll be sentencing Sky as quick as anybody else.
  • Rundfahrt
    Blind defence? Pretty hard to mount a defence when the prosecution has no actual evidence. There was plenty of hard evidence against Armstrong et al that meant anyone defending was blind. Produce the hard evidence and I'll be sentencing Sky as quick as anybody else.

...and the typical response, pick what you can argue and ignore the rest, like putting words in my mouth. You guys are very predictable in your blind defense of Sky.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Rundfahrt wrote:

...and the typical response, pick what you can argue and ignore the rest, like putting words in my mouth. You guys are very predictable in your blind defense of Sky.
    So you've got no evidence then?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What we should do is just juice every rider up to the eyes and let them do the tour every month. Most of you are so cynical of any performance that that would be the sensible thing to do, so you didn't need to speculate.

Frenchie I've tried to ask you else where: why are you only targeting Sky riders?

Can someone show me any shread of evidence that Sky are doping, other than some keyboard warriors interpretation of figures?
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt wrote:

YESSSSSS!!! More avoidance. You rare ducking and dodging like a champion fighter (or like Virenque with the media in 1998)

By the way I have no evidence, never claimed to have any. It's called logical suspicion. Oh, and you are using another one used by the Armstrong fans. You guys are dong a great job proving me right over and over when it comes to your excuses.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

YESSSSSS!!! More avoidance. You rare ducking and dodging like a champion fighter (or like Virenque with the media in 1998)

By the way I have no evidence, never claimed to have any. It's called logical suspicion. Oh, and you are using another one used by the Armstrong fans. You guys are dong a great job proving me right over and over when it comes to your excuses.
    Ah finally, you admit it, you have no evidence.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    sjmclean wrote:
    Frenchie I've tried to ask you else where: why are you only targeting Sky riders

I dislike Sky because they have changed the nature of racing for the worse in the last 2-3 years. Lessens my enjoyment of the sport until we get days like today. Also from an impartial view, many of their performances are just not believable for me. If other teams or riders did what they did over and over again I would say the same about them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    (except when Contador gets convicted from a proven drug test - then I think it's all rubbish!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Appauling video, but a good reflection about the level of cycling debate at present- http://www.independent.ie/sport/kimmage ... 01411.html

Kimmage vs Andreu
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    They're on quick acting, rather than long lasting.
  • Rundfahrt
    ddraver wrote:
    Appauling video, but a good reflection about the level of cycling debate at present- http://www.independent.ie/sport/kimmage ... 01411.html

Kimmage vs Andreu

Two comments:

1) Frankie defends Froome but says its ok to be suspicious. Many here could learn from that.

2) Kimmage is an interesting man. In his book he put the onus for doping on the team but now it's almost entirely about the rider. What changed...besides him being a rider who did dope?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    ddraver wrote:

Kimmage vs Andreu

See Kimmage excitedly giving the thumbs up to camera when he thought Frankie was about to say it was a discouraging performance. Sums him up to me.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Geez -- how short is Kimmage?

Why would anyone post that? Beyond stupid.

I'm off to Ireland tomorrow, but I have to say it -- Kimmage is one angry, anti-doping leprechaun.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    You're a witch

No I'm not

That's what a witch would say.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    You're a witch

No I'm not

That's what a witch would say.

Burn her!
  • Ok so Froome goes up a hill 1% slower than LA. But:
    • LA did it well into the tour, Froome was fresh
    • LA was sitting on a lead, Froome was going flat out to make one
    • Froome's time maybe not measured over quite the same distance, could be 3% slower, not 1%

under the circumstances, not the most conclusive evidence, is it?

FWIW, my take is that for most of the LA era, doping was very, very easy and only an incompetent would get caught. The 50% haematocrit was as close to an admission of defeat by the dope-testers as you could get. But the pendulum has swung back and the advantage is with the testers for once. No-one can use any method of blood-doping with any confidence they'll get away with it because the bioparameter testing and the skills needed to beat it are of unprecedented subtlety and complexity. Right now, if I were a procyclist on the juice, I'd be twitching at every knock on the door, lying awake at night, and wondering if it was really worth it.

Some teams/riders have adapted well to this change in the operating environment, others maybe miss that blood bag on the rest day a bit more and their current form shows it.

Doubtless the dopers will find new methods or smarter doctors and the pendulum will swing back. Until then, I'll just enjoy watching a sport that, if not 100% clean, is certainly cleaner than it's been since long before I started watching.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • ddraver
    For those that care about, you know, reality and science and stuff, @dimspace has done sterling work to uncover the total fallacy of the numbers frenchie has used in all his little graphs up there. Worth a look...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Excellent post Rob. Reasoned argument will never catch on on the Internet though!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It is hilarious how people go digging for some numbers as some sort of evidence.

I don't have a defensive view of anyone in Sky, or any rider in any other team, but once there's evidence it can be considered.

People hunting for evidence who defend other riders who have doped, have been convicted, and even have more evidence against them that haven't been addressed is bloody funny to be fair :)

Never underestimate how much bias can make for retarded half reasoned accusation of doping (or defending of it when the boot is up another rider's ass).
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    My take, far from definitive.

Sky have plowed money into training and marginal gains. Every other team were throwing money into doping.

Since the LA shiz kicked off everyone has realised it's far too risky to dope and are now riding without. Hence Contador dropping off and people like A.Schleck.

Sky/Froome basically have a head start over everyone else by doing things right from the start.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • ddraver
    More reality on the numbers - http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSB ... 7?irpc=932

Think you ve got a point Hound...
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    TheHound wrote:

Sky have plowed money into training and marginal gains. Every other team were throwing money into doping.

Since the LA shiz kicked off everyone has realised it's far too risky to dope and are now riding without. Hence Contador dropping off and people like A.Schleck.

Sky/Froome basically have a head start over everyone else by doing things right from the start.
    +1
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    TheHound wrote:

This is one of the points that William Fotheringham makes in his piece Project Wiggins about last year's Tour win in the Cycling Anthology Vol 1
  • Squaggles wrote:
    Surely Mick Rogers knows all the secrets

This is the swing vote for me that Sky are clean. Because of his role in the team with Sky in the last couple of years he would know the secrets, if there were any.

Now he is with Saxo, he would be bringing any secrets with him. Or if he was unable to replicate them, he could fess up, Sky would be thrown off the tour and give his team the TdF win(assuming Contador is the next best rider)

Or there are not any secrets. I'm sure Mick Rogers has been asked many times for his knowledge by the Saxo management and team mates :)
  • Pross
    Squaggles wrote:
    Surely Mick Rogers knows all the secrets

This is the swing vote for me that Sky are clean. Because of his role in the team with Sky in the last couple of years he would know the secrets, if there were any.

Now he is with Saxo, he would be bringing any secrets with him. Or if he was unable to replicate them, he could fess up, Sky would be thrown off the tour and give his team the TdF win(assuming Contador is the next best rider)

Or there are not any secrets. I'm sure Mick Rogers has been asked many times for his knowledge by the Saxo management and team mates :)

Plus he was more or less booted out of the team due to their 'zero tolerance' policy. I think he'd have something to say about hypocrisy if he knew they were running an advanced doping scheme.
  • Pross
    TheHound wrote:

I was absolutely staggered to realise that other than the pre-season get together (which is really just a PR event) most teams rarely train together for the whole season. I mean getting a team coach and having riders who will ride together train as a team is hardly rocket science and yet teams are still not doing it and then when such a basic and obvious thing is done well people start looking for other reasons for he success. Also not many teams seem to have a sports scientist on the squad, coaching seems to be based on what's always been done or old wives tales!
This discussion has been closed.