The wife's rumbled me....

2»

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Mccaria wrote:
    Last time I was in the LBS with my wife and my daughter, the shop owner kindly gave my daughter a brand new helmet for free to encourage her with her cycling. Needless to say my wife just looked at me quizzically and as we left the shop whispered gently "and how much did that bloody helmet actually cost ?"

So how much did it actually cost?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    S Works SL4 with full 9070 groupset.
  • markhewitt1978
    Mccaria wrote:
    S Works SL4 with full 9070 groupset.

Nice :D, very nice :D. And how much did that cost in wife pounds?
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    All of the above just goes to show me that I have the best OH in the world - her attitude is that as long as I pay my share of the bills, the rest can go on my bikes/bits/sport if that's what I want.
  • markhewitt1978
    vitesse169 wrote:
    All of the above just goes to show me that I have the best OH in the world - her attitude is that as long as I pay my share of the bills, the rest can go on my bikes/bits/sport if that's what I want.

That's the thing - your share? I suspect much of us don't have our own money as such, we have a joint household bank account and everything comes out of that.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Stand up to her man! She's only a woman ....
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    vitesse169 wrote:

That's the thing - your share? I suspect much of us don't have our own money as such, we have a joint household bank account and everything comes out of that.

And there in lies the problem, all the money is "jointly" owned. Get an agreement as to how much that's left at the end of the month or whatever is yours and how much hers - or agree a budget for your hobby. Thereafter there can be no arguments.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    drlodge wrote:
    vitesse169 wrote:

And there in lies the problem, all the money is "jointly" owned. Get an agreement as to how much that's left at the end of the month or whatever is yours and how much hers - or agree a budget for your hobby. Thereafter there can be no arguments.

We had agreement from the very start - she earns as do I. We have separate bank accounts and savings etc. We looked at all the outgoings and divided it up equally. I pay the mortgage, she pays the utilities, I pay the council rip off tax, she pays the tv licence, etc, etc, etc.
    This has worked for us since we moved in together in 1999. We review it every so often as these living costs can vary, but its worked so well she married me in 2005 - I must be a good investment....!
  • drlodge
    vitesse169 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    vitesse169 wrote:

We had agreement from the very start - she earns as do I. We have separate bank accounts and savings etc. We looked at all the outgoings and divided it up equally. I pay the mortgage, she pays the utilities, I pay the council rip off tax, she pays the tv licence, etc, etc, etc.
    This has worked for us since we moved in together in 1999. We review it every so often as these living costs can vary, but its worked so well she married me in 2005 - I must be a good investment....!

That's what I like to see - a well organised and agreed financial arrangement! That should prevent arguments about money.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    We have always had joint accounts and everything we earn is regarded as 'ours', no matter any earning disparity.
    I have never quite followed the logic of getting married, agreeing to share your lives, your thoughts/feelings/dreams and aspirations, even children, until the day you die and then refusing to share money.
    I know people live that way, each to their own if it works. But I don't understand it.
  • drlodge
    Ballysmate wrote:
    We have always had joint accounts and everything we earn is regarded as 'ours', no matter any earning disparity.
    I have never quite followed the logic of getting married, agreeing to share your lives, your thoughts/feelings/dreams and aspirations, even children, until the day you die and then refusing to share money.
    I know people live that way, each to their own if it works. But I don't understand it.

Having separarte accounts doesn't mean not sharing money...all I'm saying is to avoid arguments (and a divorce) agree how the money should be split e.g. pay x per month into a joint account for all the bills, food, mortage etc and then what is left split 3 ways into his, hers and joint savings. Each to their own, I'm just speaking from experience :shock:
    Find me on Strava
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ballysmate wrote:
    ...I know people live that way, each to their own if it works. But I don't understand it.
    It means not having ask. :wink:
    As long as everything is paid for in a fair way that keeps both parties happy, why not?
    It doesn't mean not sharing, only keeping some for self determination.
    This assumes having some left over.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Whatever works for you works for you.
    I just feel peeved that should me and Mrs tank get divorced she would get (at least half) even though over the last seven years her FINANCIAL contribution to the joint kitty has been £0.00.
    If we were to split I think the fairest way would be for each of us to have to live off our individual earnings for six months and whichever of us is alive at the end of that period gets to keep the assets of the marriage. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Whatever works for you works for you.
    I just feel peeved that should me and Mrs tank get divorced she would get (at least half) even though over the last seven years her FINANCIAL contribution to the joint kitty has been £0.00.
    If we were to split I think the fairest way would be for each of us to have to live off our individual earnings for six months and whichever of us is alive at the end of that period gets to keep the assets of the marriage. :wink:

I think she would get you taken out Frank and get everything if she reads this post ! :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...