Andy Murray

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
Say what ya like but that match yesterday was great sporting entertainment IMHO, and I don't watch a deal of tennis.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    So good you had to say it twice. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Having little interest in tennis, but being English, I don't care who wins so long as it's not Andy Murray :wink:
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Pituophis wrote:
    Having little interest in tennis, but being English, I don't care who wins so long as it's not Andy Murray :wink:

^^^^^^^ This.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Not a huge Tennis fan but got home relatively early and the wife was out. Watched the cycling instead as I had recorded it and had the tennis on the computer. I dont get this infatuation that some people (mostly women in their late 20's) have of him, he comes of as a bit of a goofy tw@.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    I like him but someone needs to say to him to make an effort to acknowledge the huge
    and enthusiastic army of supporters who help him win his matches. Throwing your sweatbands
    into the crowd and lifting an arm in a tired manner doesn't really do justice.
  • daviesee
    Alain Quay wrote:
    I like him but someone needs to say to him to make an effort to acknowledge the huge
    and enthusiastic army of supporters who help him win his matches. Throwing your sweatbands
    into the crowd and lifting an arm in a tired manner doesn't really do justice.
    Wait for the teary speech at the end. I am sure the fans will get acknowledgment then.
  • Alain Quay
    Yeah, I 'm sure you're right.
  • daviesee
    Timely quote from the BBC website -

"I'm sure the nerves will start building the night before and during the day, and if I can get the kind of support I had on Wednesday from the moment I step out on Centre Court, it will make a huge difference."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,662
    Pituophis wrote:
    It's a win-win situation really. If he wins he's British, if he loses he's Scottish :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • daviesee
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    It's a win-win situation really. If he wins he's British, if he loses he's Scottish :)
    Has been noticed. Even foreigners give the BBC pundits stick for it by jokingly asking where he's from. :lol:
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    This may help....

http://andymurrayometer.com/
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

No, I'm afraid he will always be an anti English "racist" to me.
    It's not cool to remember that though :cry:
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Why?

-Spider-
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Pituophis wrote:
    Gotta go with this
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,645
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Really? That probably says a lot more about your thin skin than anything about Murray. If saying he supports whoever plays England in an obvious attempt at banter whilst still (from memory) being a teenager constitutes "racism" in your world then at least you can't have many serious problems there.

To be honest I hate all the nationalistic stuff that a bit of British success brings out at this time of year in what is a sport that's all about personal glory. However, that was a brilliant game of tennis and seeing the way Murray has transformed his physical fitness and mental strength over the last 6 or 7 years shows what you can achieve by hard work to go with talent.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,662
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Nah, he just tried to make a joke but as he nearly always comes across as such a miserable git nobody realised it was an attempt at humour.

I'd still like him to beat Djoko though (possibly because I'm part Jock, nothing else would explain my pathological tightness with money :P )
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

[Edit - can't be bothered]
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

If anyone ever wonders why modern sportsmen are boring, characterless drones who speak in platitudes and never say anything remotely controversial, think back to this post.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    I think he gets a lot of stick unfairly just because he doesn't have a cheery extrovert personality, his demeanor is what it is and he can't really do anything about it.
  • Alain Quay
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

stupid comment.
  • As a Scotsman myself I have never really had much time for Andy, it's not that I don't like him, it's just that, well, he does not come across as a particularly interesting guy when being interviewed. Regardless of this he is World number 2 and whether he is Scottish,English,Welsh or Northern Irish we should all be supporting him. However, being Scottish myself we are used to glorious failures....football, rugby etc.......yes we played well but lost again!. The story of a lot of scottish sport!. Well used to it now......however...GO ON ANDY!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I am half Scots, half English, bit of a British mongrel really and have always regarded myself as British .
    Andy Murray's remark about supporting anybody playing England was obviously light hearted, but struck a nerve with a lot of people because that attitude is becoming perceived more prevalent north of the border.
    As regards Murray himself? He is not exactly a ray of sunshine, is he? :lol:
    If I hear him described as a dour Scots tw@t, it is hard to mount any defence.
  • daviesee
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I am half Scots, half English, bit of a British mongrel really and have always regarded myself as British .
    Andy Murray's remark about supporting anybody playing England was obviously light hearted, but struck a nerve with a lot of people because that attitude is becoming perceived more prevalent north of the border.
    He's from the Central Belt and about as extrovert as we get.* :lol::lol::lol:

*Nicked. :oops:
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Pituophis wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

[Edit - can't be bothered]

Hmm... I can't really be bothered either but I'll post this and maybe someone might change their opinion of the guy. He's just a normal guy who has put a lot of hard work into becoming one of the top 4 players in the world at a time when tennis is being played to the highest level it has ever been in the sports history. He's also quite funny and a pretty normal, nice guy.

The truth behind his 'racist' comments... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQsHBwkDgQ
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... CMP=twt_gu
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e_Racquet/

I would much rather spend some time with Andy Murray than anyone who will claim to genuinely hate someone for some weak story they read in the tabloids. My heart sinks when I see Andy Murrays name in a forum thread title because I know some numb nut will tell us all how much they hate him because blah blah blah :roll:
  • heavymental
    Ballysmate wrote:

"So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pr1cks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both."
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:

"So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pr1cks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both."

Please show me in my post where I said I wanted him to be champion or I wanted him to change his personality. I don't give a flying f*ck about tennis or him really. I didn't even mention tennis and I remarked that he was perceived as dour. So you are quite correct, it makes no difference to me.
    If you are going to start calling me a prick, please take the trouble to read the post properly.
    Prick
  • TheCoo'sTail
    TheCoo'sTail Posts: 113
    edited July 2013
    I've not got much time for tennis and Wimbledon in particular, an event which sets aside one day to let the commoners in just seems wrong to me. As for Murray, well his public image could be a lot better, his attachment to his mothers apron strings I find annoying but I would like to see him do it. I don't care that he is Scottish particularly, but to think that it would bother some folk that he is and he did win it would be quite satisfying. An Australian or a French winner next year would be good too. :wink:
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • heavymental
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Please show me in my post where I said I wanted him to be champion or I wanted him to change his personality. I don't give a flying f*ck about tennis or him really. I didn't even mention tennis and I remarked that he was perceived as dour. So you are quite correct, it makes no difference to me.
    If you are going to start calling me a prick, please take the trouble to read the post properly.
    Prick

Sigh. It's a quote from the linked article. How ironic.
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Prick

Sigh. It's a quote from the linked article. How ironic.

I am aware it is a quote.I read the article you linked. It is an entire paragraph lifted from the article.
    You posted a link and then to really draw attention to the point you were making, you lifted a paragraph and linked it specifically to what I had written.
    Not ironic at all.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    The BBC doc about him that was on a few weeks ago was a bit of an eye opener for me tbh. He didn’t come across as dour at all - and I wasn’t aware that he was in the school during the Dunblaine shootings – that’s not something you’re average sporting ‘personality’ has had to deal with in their life.