2»

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^ *cracks open the aquavit to celebrate*
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    DeadCalm wrote:

He said on Monday that he would be popping in and out this year.

He's working on a new sponsor deal for the team, rumours are it will be Tinkof as solo sponsors next time.

I wouldn't read to much into him popping in and out - he knows he's going to affect the team focus when he's about so he's just keeping his head down as much as possible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Rasmussen has grassed him big time. He won't survive.

Indeed. I'm more interested in the other names. It would be significant for cycling if people who've passed through his teams are named.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Agreed, so much implication of Riis by others that he is starting to creak. Doping aside he is a great tactician, best DS of the last 15 years?

He was always a good tactician. As a rider too. Well known for it.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Is the Chicken just talking about Riis during his one year at CSC, or is it more than that?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Bakunin wrote:
    Is the Chicken just talking about Riis during his one year at CSC, or is it more than that?

The Chicken said he was going to tell absolutely everything to the Danish anti doping people. That covers his time with CSC and every other team as well.

I think the investigation has spoken to Jacksche and Hamilton as well, but nobody is really saying much.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

Rasmussen has grassed him big time. He won't survive.

Indeed. I'm more interested in the other names. It would be significant for cycling if people who've passed through his teams are named.

Difficult to know what the scope of the investigation is, really. Riis will be a big focus because the team have a Danish license. But it could go all over the place, Rasmussen rode for a few teams.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Right, might be a bit late to the party with this one, but Jaksche says he takes to Danish anti doping. He says they seemed very well informed. He told them Riis knew of his program and that he was assisted by the team doctors, who would tell him how to fit his program to his race schedule.

Expect this to go quiet for a couple of months, unless Hamilton wants to chip in publicly. Riis won't say anything, the chicken won't give details, Danish anti doping will keep zipped.

No word yet from Kimmage.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

He needs someone else to do all the investigating and then talk about it when a camera is pointed his way
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:

He needs someone else to do all the investigating and then talk about it when a camera is pointed his way

He he :)
  • rick_chasey
    Am I the only person who enjoys Riis being part of the sport?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Am I the only person who enjoys Riis being part of the sport?

No, I think he quite likes being part of it as well...
  • rick_chasey
    Ha.
  • rick_chasey
    I can't follow who people don't like anymore, post Armstrong admission.

Seems like basically anyone who did well in the '90s.

He's the most tactically interesting DS by miles.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

He he :)

There should be a "deadpan" emoticon, for when you want to deliver a punchline straight, but want everyone to know it's a punchline.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    what annoys me with all this is why the UCI let these people stay in the sport. The old guard who were brought up on doping to win need to be kicked out then the sport can start to move on
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mmacavity wrote:
    Thanks for that. I fancied having a look at it but sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it.

It's a 100+ page monument to bad science. The same people who think every cyclists must be viewed in the most suspicious of terms will lap that up with no regard whether it is credible. I'd love someone like Ben Goldacre to critique it.

From a Velonews interview (today I think):

VeloNews: Froome declined to release his power numbers publicly, why?
    Dave Brailsford: It’s an interesting question. There is so much pseudo science out there right now. If you release the data, there are very few people who can properly interpret and understand that data. All you’re going to do is create is a lot of noise for people who are pseudo scientists. You can even write magazines about it. They’re so wide of the mark in what they’re doing, it’s quite scary. You can do anything with stats. You can use that with a cynical view.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562

If you doped in the 80s you're ok e.g. Kelly.

If you rode in the 90s or early 00s you're not ok unless you're named Bassons or Boardman. e.g. Kloden

If you got caught doping after that then boo, otherwise you're fine.

Contador's victory in the Veulta was stunning. Some of the finest tactics never caught on camera.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    as much as i don't like the fact, the nature of cycling means there will always be dopers and there will always be suspicion. I struggle to believe Sky are morally clean I think they are on something not yet on the banned list.

Cat amongst the pigeons JTL had a mega year last year what has he done this year? No bio passport last year just saying.
  • RichN95.
    as much as i don't like the fact, the nature of cycling means there will always be dopers and there will always be suspicion. I struggle to believe Sky are morally clean I think they are on something not yet on the banned list.

The banned list is pretty broad in it's scope. Most new PEDs, while not explicitly named, will be on there as part of a family of drugs
    Cat amongst the pigeons JTL had a mega year last year what has he done this year? No bio passport last year just saying.
    He was winning .1 and .2 races. Now he's doing WT and HC races. It's a big step up.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    TheBigBean wrote:

If you doped in the 80s you're ok e.g. Kelly.

If you rode in the 90s or early 00s you're not ok unless you're named Bassons or Boardman. e.g. Kloden

If you got caught doping after that then boo, otherwise you're fine.

Contador's victory in the Veulta was stunning. Some of the finest tactics never caught on camera.

Pretty much sums it up ...

The 80's guys know when to shut up ... The 90's guys know they don't have to so cling onto tainted glory ...
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Is it even bad science?
    Merely a poor use of numbers, or just flawed data, to arrive at some muddled thinking.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

Agreed though Cannondale have played a blinder so far this year (DS name escapes me for a moment)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    TBH it was in the past and i don't much care anyway. Glad that Armstrong got done but because he was a nasty negative sh ite more than the drugs.

Id have taken it as a younger guy without much hesitation. career enhancing- DEF, performance enhancing DEF, until relatively recently unlikely to get caught DEF. Horror stories on the internet about negative health consequences, NONE definitive or even close.

What wasn't to like.

And this is not meant to be a troll or flame or whatever its called, I'm just growing tired of witch hunts. they show an interesting side to human nature.
  • RichN95.
    mmacavity wrote:
    Is it even bad science?
    Merely a poor use of numbers, or just flawed data, to arrive at some muddled thinking.
    That's exactly why it's bad science.

Things like when he justifies his claimed accuracy of +/-2% by comparison to Chris Horner's powermeter. There are seven data points, five are within 2%, but one is 5% and one 9%, which he discards for reasons due to certain vague characteristics of the climb. Well you can't do that.

And the whole underlying concept. The idea of judging what is and isn't humanly capable, when those who have ever done bike racing is probably less than 5% of Western Europeans and less than 1% of other caucasians and next to nothing the the other 6 and a half billion. Vayer's introduction, mentioning the men's 100m, and seemingly presenting Christophe Lemaitre (who is white) as the clean benchmark and others as 'Ben Jonhsons' was particularly troubling.
  • mmacavity wrote:

Mr Fuller should be sued until he lives in a cardboard box for this crap.

Apparently there is no benefit to drafting uphill. Better tell Sky as they should send Froome up a coll on his own and save the rest of the team for the flat.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Riis was the first winner of the Tour after I started watching it. So yeah I do feel cheated in that I wasn't watching what I thought I was watching.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Calculator monkeys, doing typewriter monkeys everywhere proud. If only I were given such liberties with data sets...

Expected something remotely explaining the algorithms, based upon ambient conditions, technology and such, instead got 40 pages of Skins and another 40 pages of colours. And for some reason expected that the 410 watts ~ Ben Johnson would be based on something, or anything, rather than just what appears a whim