Turning into a workaholic

2»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sorry to be picky but I think 99%+ isn't quite right, a legacy doesn't necessarily have to be tangible. What about jobs like the emergency services, teachers, research scientists etc. Collectively they all contribute to a legacy of sorts to wider society and their numbers surely account for more than 1% of the population.
    Fair point well made. :P
    Random off the top of my head :oops: but I hope most got the point.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I see so many people working themselves into an early grave trying to earn enough money to buy all this stuff that we're hoodwinked into "needing".

I don't have a smart phone, my car is nearly 10 years old. My bike has an aluminium frame.

I work part time. I could easily do overtime and get an iphone, carbon bike, new car etc..... and spend less time with my kids. It's a no brainer. My old phone makes phonecalls, my car gets me from a to b and I love going out on my bike.

The other paradox I see is people working long hours to earn enough to pay for childcare to allow them to work long hours....that makes no sense to me at all :?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I think the truth is that people get sucked in.

You work and earn a living, you then live to your means and want more so you work more and get paid more, again moving up and living to hour new means. It a cycle. :)

Some people want to leave a mark behind, something that will be remembered when they are gone. Maybe as already said, a fireman, nurse etc etc.

Maybe you employ people and then take on their concerns to keep them employed.
    There are many scenarios.
    Living MY dream.