Turning into a workaholic

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited July 2013 in The bottom bracket
So I'm ramming the overtime, working 8am to 10pm today, missed the Great Manchester Cycle yesterday due to overtime, I'm glad I've got some days off at the end of the week, really need to get it up on the bike, low on speed and performance work is depressing.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    willhub wrote:
    So I'm ramming the overtime, working 8am to 10pm today, missed the Great Manchester Cycle yesterday due to overtime, I'm glad I've got some days off at the end of the week, really need to get it up on the bike, low on speed and performance work is depressing.

It can quickly become an addiction, not a good one if you value the family :)
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    you're young, it's the time to do it, get experience, save a bit, party hard, you don't need much sleep, i never did and it never affected me badger mushroom
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Never understood people who work 16 hours a day. My better half does it (teacher)...

Work to live not live to work.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Unless you are self-employed, don't bother. Enjoy your life.

People kid themselves into thinking it'll get them noticed or that the bosses will really appreciate it. They won't. You'll be just as vulnerable when the axe falls.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    There are very few people who, on their death-bed, look up and say 'Gee, I wish I'd spent more time at the office'!

If you enjoy what you do and think your work is valuable, work as much as you like. I've run my own business for nearly 30 years now (on my second one after losing everthing in the late 1980's) and that has always been a great motivator for me.

However, as with everything in life, a sense of balance is the way to go.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    work, pretty much all of it, is tedious. Just read the twaddle written on this forum by people who like to tell us all just how good they are at whatever tedium they waste their days in, and just how great their lives are as a result. Hopeless. Give it up. I have seen people worn out by a life of toil and as a reward they get a gold watch. Pointless. Stop wasting your life in order to make someone else's better. Oh, if you are one of those someone elses, shame on you.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    pliptrot wrote:
    work, pretty much all of it, is tedious. Just read the twaddle written on this forum by people who like to tell us all just how good they are at whatever tedium they waste their days in, and just how great their lives are as a result. Hopeless. Give it up. I have seen people worn out by a life of toil and as a reward they get a gold watch. Pointless. Stop wasting your life in order to make someone else's better. Oh, if you are one of those someone elses, shame on you.

Eh? Have you had a really bad day? Some people think cycling is tedious nonsense too, doesn't make them right or wrong though, it's just their own interpretation of what's satisfying in life. It's Friday, have a beer and relax.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some people think cycling is tedious nonsense too

Aye, should get downhill bikes and hit the rough stuff.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Its-true-hard-work-never-killed-anybody-but-I-figure-why-take-the-chance-Ronald-Wilson-Reagan-funny-and-humorous-picture-quote1.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • VTech
    Hard work can leave a legacy, long after your dead.
    Who will think about, or what will be left after a person who has never worked dies ?

I agree time should be spent on family and friends but work is important, it defines us.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    work is important, it defines us.

You should not let work define you, relying on your job for definition of self-esteem can make for an unhealthy, uninteresting life.

I'm sure most people are far more interesting than their job of work. :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    I almost always work a 60-80 hour week in construction.

Not out of choice, simply money. I get paid £9 an hour and 40 hours is what I should work but I have to do overtime because standard hours only just leave us even.

Why anyone would choose to work unnecessarily I don't know, unless of course work is truly a hobby to you.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    There's a level of income we all need which differs depending on circumstances (where we live, size of family, any specific family needs etc.) and we need to do whatever we can to ensure we bring in Taft level of income. Surely everything above that is choice and a conscious trade off between whatever reward you get from work (financial, self worth, fulfillment - whatever) and whatever reward you get when you're not at work. Surely the amount you need to earn and the relative trade-offs are entirely specific to each individual
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I think about this often. Extra work I do I don't get paid for yet still do it. It is sort of expected. I keep on finding articles on the internet about lists of things people regret before they die........

and spending more time with family is always at or near the top of that list.

Don't be one of those that regrets your choice later on when you can't turn the clock back.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pliptrot wrote:

You could take leaf out of Homer's book and do it 'The American way'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbI-P6mFbg
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I've hit 60 now and very pleased to have one of those final salary pension schemes so am reasonably well off. Love to work part time in social care with two young men who pretty much like to do the same things as I do, including cycling. I'm contracted To do 13 hours a week and am very resistant to taking on additional shifts so generally don't get asked

Missus teaches full time and lives and breathes it from the time she wakes up to the time she goes to bed. She retires in just over a year and methinks she will absolutely hate it. I am very aware of the lack of home/work balance and how destructive that can be to families
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    Hard work can leave a legacy, long after your dead.
    Who will think about, or what will be left after a person who has never worked dies ?

I agree time should be spent on family and friends but work is important, it defines us.
    That is complete twaddle. I would not wish for work to define me in any way.
    About one year after your death anything you have done work-wise will be forgotten*.
    Your family and friends will give you more current pleasure and will remember you far more fondly and for far longer.
    Work to earn enough to keep you healthy and happy**. If you work too hard it will take a toll on your health and your family & friendships.

*Unless you are in the less than 1% of people who will actually achieve something memorable.

**Low earners have to work extra just to get by. This is perfectly understandable and aiming to break out of that commendable.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    edited July 2013
    VTech wrote:Hard work can leave a legacy, long after your dead.
    That is complete twaddle.
    I'm glad someone has said it. That twaddle is one of the most depressing things I've read for some time. Bucket of water, hand in, remove hand, hole left will be exactly the size of any legacy.
  • ballysmate
    Everyone has to work it out for themselves and find their own work/life balance.
    When I was younger I chased all the overtime as I thought it important to provide as best I could for my family. Did I work too much? In the eyes of some...yes, but I have no regrets, as I did what I thought best at the time. It was the work/life balance that I felt suited what I wanted to do.
    Now my family are grown, and through twist of fate, I don't need to earn so much, and am happy to work less. Although low paid and some would say menial work, I enjoy it and still work my nuts off for the hours I am there.
    As I said, the balance is an individual thing.
  • daviesee
    Ballysmate wrote:
    No argument.
    But a legacy? Come on. That just isn't happening for 99%+ of the population.

I know you didn't raise the legacy issue, I am just saying that thinking of a legacy shouldn't be part of the balance.
    Just look at Tony Blair. :twisted:
  • ballysmate
    daviesee wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    No argument.

I know you didn't raise the legacy issue, I am just saying that thinking of a legacy shouldn't be part of the balance.

I agree, most people aren't thinking of leaving a legacy.
    As we agree, the balance is an individual thing. Some people want to make just enough to get by... and that is fine.
    Some people are driven to create businesses ... and that is fine too.
    But both groups are inter dependent. Business can't survive without workers, and workers have no jobs without strivers who build businesses.
  • daviesee
    Agreed. :P
  • ballysmate
    daviesee wrote:

I'm bored. I'll have to go and find someone to disagree with. :lol::lol:
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Im sure I can help :)
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Im sure I can help :)

I'm sure you could if you really, really tried. :lol:
    That's why you got an honorary mention in my 'Magnus Opus' :lol:
  • VTech
    I like Opus, especially Opus One :)
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    VTech wrote:

Bit pricey for my wine cellar, but you enjoy!
  • daviesee
    Ballysmate wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Bit pricey for my wine cellar, but you enjoy!
    Have we gone full circle now? :wink:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Work to live my son, don't live to work.

Have fun. Enjoy. Take chances. Laugh with friends and do what you want to do. Live with your heart, not your head. Love the wrong girls (or boys if that's your bag).

Yes, work hard, work well, but remember priorities: family, friends, smiling, laughing, eating and drinking well.

Fukk everything else.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    daviesee wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    No argument.

Sorry to be picky but I think 99%+ isn't quite right, a legacy doesn't necessarily have to be tangible. What about jobs like the emergency services, teachers, research scientists etc. Collectively they all contribute to a legacy of sorts to wider society and their numbers surely account for more than 1% of the population.